Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Noexit's 62
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Noexit's 62 Reply with quote

I'm getting back into my Ghia and realized that I don't have a build thread. I had one at another VW website, but they've gone through some troubles, and all the old posts are gone, so I'm going to start mine here.

I wanted to get it all in one thread so I can keep myself motivated by seeing everyone at once, and remind myself how little I've worked on it. I started in 2007 around the time that Roy Grelland was finishing up his project, and it became my benchmark. Now about 4 years later, I've barely gotten anywhere...

Way back in late october 2007, I bought a "clean, straight, rust free" 62 from a guy in Idaho. It might have been $800?

I drove from just south of Seattle with my dad, to the south eastern corner of Idaho, taking turns driving, to pick up the car. My dad and I gave it a "through" look over in the barn, decided that it was a lot less work than the '59 I'd turned down a few weeks earlier because of my dad being scared of all the rust, and watched the guy start up the 36hp and back it out. We decided it looked solid, and started to hook up out tow bar. At almost exactly the same time, while I was under the car and my dad was above running wiring for the lights, we noticed that the front end was not symmetrical. One fender was narrower, and the ridge was much pointier than the other. It's hard to see in this pic, taken right after I got it home, but you're looking at where the bondo has started to be taken off.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We talked about it while the guy was trying to find the title, and I confronted him about it. I'd specifically asked him over the phone if it'd ever been in an accident, had it's nose squished, etc. He told me that it was clean and straight. I said that I was about ready to turn around and drive back home, and he basically said something akin to "that should buff right out". Really he said that it should pull right out with a hydraulic frame ram, but it's basically the same.

Fearing that he wasn't going to make the sail, he told me that he had a Ghia front end in the back. Looking at that, I was convinced that I had enough parts to piece together a solid front end.

It's kind of squished from him letting a shed collapse on it...

Last edited by noexit on Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got it home, and started tearing into it.

Took all the glass out, stripped the interior and trim and started taking a wire wheel to the body.

Discovered all kinds of nice rust. Neither rust free nor straight...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started taking apart the rockers:

Sold the 36hp to a guy who I also lent my tow bar to. He never brought it back. (If you're on here, bring it back please!!!)

Built a rotisserie that allows me to spin it about 180° and removed the pan.

I decided that I needed some more body metal, and found a '63 for $500 in my home town. If it weren't for the fact that an entire quarter of the car has been badly cut off and welded back on, I would have scrapped the 62 and started working on the 63 instead. I actually got enough spare parts from this car to pay for itself and for a lot of the '62. Time to start selling the spares I guess so I can pay for materials...

noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's now two and a half years later I think. I'd just moved to Seattle when I bought the 63, and all the Ghia stuff is stored under my dad's car port.

Now to Yesterday! I finally have a space of my own to work in. It's a small garage, but it works as long as I keep it relatively clean. My dad brought my tunnel and pans up and yesterday I built some saw horses to put it on. Time to start this project again.

Ian Peterson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, ballard! I live in Spokane. the more Washington ghias the better! keep us posted
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word! Washington Ghias! Keep up the good work! Very Happy
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another Ghia guy from Bellingham.....

Check out the Mt. Baker Vintage VW site - www.mbvv.org
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Resurrection! Reply with quote

I'm finally getting back to my Ghia. haven't done much since my last post. I'm not sure what was taking me so long removing my old pans two+ years ago, as I've been at it for one afternoon and have all the old metal off. I've finally ordered some Rust Bullet, weld through primer and seam sealer to clean up the tunnel and put new pans in. These things are pretty ill fitting and are going to need a lot of trimming to go in. And that's not even mentioning the slots I have to weld up, or the fact that the seat tracks don't lay down flat. I wish I had the funds for Klassicfab's floor pans. They look really nice! They didn't even exist when I bought these though.

Brassneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see you're getting back into it! I'm in Shoreline, with a '69 coupe...if you ever need any help...holler!
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don'tcha just love old car sellers? keep at it!
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basketcase wrote:
don'tcha just love old car sellers? keep at it!

I'm not angry about it anymore. I sure drove a long way for it though. I also turned down a 58 because I thought this was in better condition. That was a long time ago.
Basketcase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the long drive once. I drove 7 hours one way to get my road runner. I told the guy send me pics o everybad area, and unless I find something you didn't show I'll be bringing the car home. Luckily it worked out.
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Noexit's 62 Reply with quote

It seems like everytime I post to my build thread, it's an "I'm back at it!" post, but here I am again. I finally getting together a good working shop, and am also to a stage in my life where I can get a quote from a contractor to upgrade the electric panel in my house so that I can put a 100 amp sub-panel in my shop and be like "F**K, that's expensive!", but also be able to suck it up and pay him.

So I've spent the last month putting in an attic ladder to store the parts, tearing out a wall that for some reason divided the space in half, and building a workbench.

Then then I went over to my parent's house where it's been the last 12 years.

And there's the parts car behind it. I'll pick that up early next week.

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Noexit's 62 Reply with quote

Welcome back!
When I built my second Ghia the first time, I worked on it incessantly. I was paying for the shop space so I was more motivated to get it done.
Now I’m doing a refresh and have my own garage so there’s no pressure. Even though I’m anxious to get it done, I still seem to find other things that get in the way. I’m close though.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Noexit's 62 Reply with quote

Welcome back! Looking forward to the next steps, as I am also in the middle of a "nose surgery" on my 60..

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Noexit's 62 Reply with quote

I spent way too much of today getting my 63 parts car into my other garage. At one point, I'd taken the the steering knuckles and lower torsion arms off, so there were no front wheels, so we used a trailer dolly to mount, and layered a few scraps of plywood with all but one drilled the size of the trailer ball, and used that under the frame head to push the car out of it's resting spot and onto the trailer. That probably took an hour. Getting it out was much easier, and being able to turn the front dolly wheels almost 90 degrees really helped to maneuver it into my garage. This car will be mostly cut up. At some point, it was hit in the rear left quarter, and a new quarter panel was crudely welded in. It's a good quarter, but I won't be needing it, so it will go toward saving someone else's ghia. I'll only be using the front end. The dash, doors, hood roof and entire rear end will probably be other people's donors. Over all, the rest of the car is more rusty that my 62 is squished. You can kind of see in the picture how out of shape the rear window opening is.

sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Noexit's 62 Reply with quote

I notice you are not putting your photos up here on the Samba. This will ultimately lead to problems with your thread when photos disappear from where they are now....and they will.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

Thanks
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:18 am    Post subject: Time to move on: Noexit's 62 Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this for a long time, and I've realized that I'm never going to finish this project, so it's time to sell.

I got this car in 2007 while living at home on my second round of chemotherapy for Hodgkin's lymphoma. Some of it followed me around while most stayed at my parent's house. It motivated my search for a house with a garage, but still, I haven't touched it in years. It's just taking up space. I'll post it here, Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace probably, but I have no idea what to sell it for.

I see a few projects posted in the classifieds that are maybe similar. I have the 62, a 63 parts car (or maybe someone wants to use that as the base instead?) and 1/3 of a 62, from the nose to the dash. All pretty much in the condition pictured here, all indoors or under cover for the last 15 years.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Noexit's 62 Reply with quote

Best of Luck. Youre about to find out the value of a project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: