Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Parts Manual
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Parts Manual Reply with quote

I have downloaded the Parts Manual from the technical section. It is quite helpful in putting my Thing back together. However I noticed on Section 43, Frame,there is only part of the description and part numbers. Missing looks to be parts after #18. Is there a page 2 missing? Does anyone have that page?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Parts Manual Reply with quote

Sorry I can't help but:
If anyone can provide that, please email me directly so I can try to add it to the PDF.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Manual Reply with quote

The original hard copy is the same way. It's has it's mistakes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Manual Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that info.

This is off the Thing book topic but the '67 Bus parts manual is like that too - there are a couple pages missing.
Also the VW dealer book "Progressive Refinements" scans I have seen and that are on this site.

So maybe not an uncommon thing... pun intended
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
partsman914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Parts Manual Reply with quote

Here's what I found this morning on the VW catalog...there are part numbers missing because they are no linger available, but it does have more lines than #18
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Manual Reply with quote

All of the 181 parts references I have seen do this (paper parts book, microfiche, etc). If a part is no longer available, the part number is removed (often the part description, too). It is highly annoying.

They did similar things with part substitutions, which is also annoying.

I have been working on scanning in a 1970/1971 181 parts book and I was somewhat amused/annoyed to find an almost completely blank page that said something along the lines of 'picture to follow'.
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Manual Reply with quote

I have a Jan 1982 Type 181 fiche, I wonder if it is missing any info.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Manual Reply with quote

Where can I find the Thing parts manual? I used to use a link to https://riverdrivedesigns.com/VW/ but it no longer works. I had a PDF of it downloaded on my old phone, and was hoping to add it to my current phone. Thanks.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Elroyyy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts Manual Reply with quote

Go to:

Technical
> Owner's Manuals

Thing
> Owner's Manuals/Parts Manuals

Parts
> Parts Manual
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: