Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manx Style Dune Buggy Build (Litha Mark III)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dinubadave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking great! Nice job...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
wvbowtieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished up installing the steel tube gussets into the 1" x 2" body lift. I will be using 5/16 x 18 x 2 1/2" stainless steel fasteners to secure the body to the bodylift/pan. I have heard that the bodies sometimes need a little persuasion to line up with the bodylift/pan. Mine has been no exception. Mad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Will need to cut body/tub to widen fiberglass to fit the bodylift/pan.

Body fits really well at the front and back sections.

A Little mock up with wheels and tires.... Very Happy
wvbowtieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut the NOS body tonight to widen the body to fit the bodylift/pan. Used my ratcheting cargo bar to expand the body/tub to the width desired to fit the pan. Tapered fiberglass at the cuts approx: 6" to start buid up of new fiberglass repairs. I hate fiberglass ...But the repair looks pretty good. Laughing

Removed the seat tracks from the pan. Will be using aftermarket seat adjusters.

Used a sawzall to remove most of the seat tracks. Removed the spot welds by using a spot weld bit from Harbor Freight Tools. Tool worked surprisingly well and is still very sharp after several dozen spot welds removed. Cool
karu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wvbowtieman and joescoolcustoms. I have been watching this thread with lot of interest as I live in Cross Lanes and was hoping to see it driven on the road one day. Also it is a really cool build. I too am starting to build a buggy which made it even more interesting.

Any updates?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is drag racing season and the BowTie is running every weekend and will be heading to the bracket finals the second weekend in October. After that, expect to see progress.

A 1835 out of my '59 singe cab was grabbed to fill the engine compartment. The case was in good shape with only needing a line bore. Vic Dawson at Keith's Auto in Elkview will perform the machine work. The P&C's will only need a glaze breaking and new rings. I have a set of new 94 mm rings that wvbowtieman will file fit.

I found a deal on a new set of 040 heads at the Hagerstown Simple Transport show last weekend. They are new Brazil castings and were already cut for the 92 mm cylinders. Both heads already machined for less than what one new head costs unmachined. Deal!

At a show in Greensboro NC back in June, I happened upon some early, flat tail lights from a old chevy. Scored 4 lights complete for less than buying one re-pop lense. They will receive some updates and will keep that under wraps until he gets them done.

At Larrys Off Road Show in June I haggled with a seller and scored a real nice weber progressive, intake and filter for about 1/3 new. Nice looking carb. I will "tweak" the jetting, air bleeds and ilde jets a litle to make it run crisp.

wvbowtieman bought some new seats that are recliners with lumbar support to hold the driver behind the wheel. He also was given a dog house 36 horse fan shroud without heater ducts for the engine. Another Score!

The tranny was bad in the pan. First gear was gone. I have a good shape '68 with a 4.12 ring and pinion that will go in.

So, basically, right now, it is just parts gathering for the wintertime build.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wvbowtieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been awhile since my last update so here we go....
As joescoolcustoms earlier stated I have been drag racing this year from April to October finishing up at Owingsville, Ky for the Bracket Finals.
Did not win... Confused
Over the summer I have picked up some parts for the buggy...
2 barrel progressive Weber w/intake.
1835 dual port motor.
Case line bored and cleaned.
New Crankshaft.
New reconditioned rods.
New cam/gear.
Lifters.
New Dual port heads/cut for 1835/high rev springs.
Lightened flywheel.
Scat oil pump w/oil filter.
And many more go fast goodies... Very Happy

Scored a set of Porche 914 seats for a $100.00.
Spent this weekend fabricating seat mounts for the dune buggy pan. I was able to reuse the 914 seat adjusters. Welded new mounting studs to the adjusters and built 1"x2" rect. steel boxed on the ends and welded to pan tunnel and the 1"x2" rect. steel body lift. Used 11 gauge steel plate to strengthen rear seat mounts to the pan and will also tack 11 gauge steel plate on bottom of pan to strengthen bolted area of seats. Seats slide and fit great with almost 10 inches of adjustment front to rear. Seats set about as low as I can get them using adjusters.

Ordered spray in bed liner for the pan. Hope to have coated in a few weeks and will begin assembly... Very Happy
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/870240.jpg[img]
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/870243.jpg[img]
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/870244.jpg[img]
[/img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/870242.jpg[img]
[/img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/870241.jpg[img]
[/img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/870240.jpg[img]
wvbowtieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets try pictures again..... Rolling Eyes

[/img]
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, simple looking mounts. Nice and clean!

Where did you get the spray in liner?

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set up the clearences on the '68 swing axle tranny yesterday evening. Nice, little wear gear stack and willl make a smooth running tranny. 4.12 ring and pinion will make a good balance of strength and quickness.

wvbowtieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on the buggy this weekend to make the pan a roller again and set the body onto the pan to start fabrication of the roll cage and body mounts. Installed the newly refreshened swing axel by joescoolcustoms with new rear disc brake rotors. Installed the adjustable front beam and steering box with all new tierods and new front brake drums and bearings. The 914 seats fit perfect. Plenty of leg room and driver sets very low into the body. Welded on new brake line tabs onto swing axels. (tabs had been removed by PO) Front wheels are rubbing the body when sitting in the buggy. May have to go with different wheel and tire size...we will see once adjustments are made.

[/img]
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks Bad @$$!!!!

Last edited by joescoolcustoms on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got some work done on the cage of the buggy yesterday.
First I had to build a tubing rack at my house to hold the extra tubing we ordered for not only David Build, but my Buggy and Baja build and another buggy's Baja build. Then went and picked up 15 24 foot joints of 1 5/8 inch DOM 0.120 wall tubing with 4 24 foot joints of 1 inch 0.120 wall tubing. Once they were separated out, headed to Davids to start on the bending.

Next task was to build a portable platform for my new JD Squared Model 32 bender. I like to portabiilty of the platform and bender.

The Lithia dash is just a little wider than the standard buggy by about 7/8 inch. I had a left over windscreen frame that we used for mock up. I bent it to fit the body like David will order a new windscreen from Dino with. This will allow for us to make the cage and get heights and clearences correct.

More checking and measuring for leg clearence and steering column supports.

Rear hoop bent, sized, and ready for fabrication of bottom mounting plates. The yellow tape was helpful and used to represent where future tubes may go and give a picture of what the final look will be. The rear hoop will sit 2 inches higher than the windscreen.

The front hoop was a little more tricky than the rear because we traced the outside edge of the windscreen and dash. It fits perfect, hugs tight up against the body and the windscreen to minimize any line of sight intrusion. The front hoop will sit about 1/4 inch higher than the top of the windscreen.

More work to do, but this is a great start to the full cage for the buggy. It also helps get my rusty mind working in the geometric plane.

wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. those compound angles for the front hoop are real brain teasers. With the price of DOM, you really want to make sure that you get it right the first time, don't you?
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With the price of DOM, you really want to make sure that you get it right the first time, don't you?

Well, these are my first bends with the JD Squared bender, and I screwed up the very first bend. I bent on the wrong side of my mark and ruined a 10 foot section of tubing.

Not really ruined the tube, it will be used except for the 12 inches of bend radius, but in all my years working with roll cages, that was the first piece I bent wrong.

wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find a home for that "orphaned" bend, I'm sure. And a real pro would have more than one "extra" bend laying around, so keep at it!

Are you going to mount the entire front hoop on the same angle as the rear? I couldnt make that work on my body and put a shallow bend at the door sill to tuck that part out of the way, so just the part of the hoop from the dash up is parallel to the angle of the rear hoop.

It was a bit nerve racking to make those last two bends, if I had it to do all over again I would look at a way to make it a bit simpler. Where does your front hoop hit the pan? I'm guessing forward of where both sides start their angle into the frame head. I am assuming that is why the feet are tucked inward rather than to the rear like mine.
CBDZ_CBDZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cage work is looking good.

I have had great success with the free bending software that is available online. It is available a few places, but was originally offered by JD2.

This is just one place to get it.

http://www.rentabender.com/download-request.html

But there are a few others.

http://www.rentabender.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the front and rear hoop will be very close in angle from verticle. I think the front will be just a touch greater lay back from verticle than the rear hoop, but it is very tight against the windscreen like David wants for minimum passenger compartment intrusion.

The bottom mounting of the front hoop will hit about 1/2 inch rearward of the first bend in the pan/body lip coming rearward from the front firewall.

David is making the mounting plates so we can get the two hoops established, then connect them, and work towards the rear to pick up the transmission forks and shock towers.

Karmghia70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the pics coming! I'm just starting my cage and could use some help tying in the rear to the tranny. Are you planning on having a back seat?
wvbowtieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished up on the roll cage mounting pads. Will complete welding on the cage supports when fabrication of roll cage, rear body support and bumper brackets are finished. Roll cage will be tied into the body lift in turn will be bolted to the finished pan.

Cut out new sections between the front hoop and the rear hoop. joescoolcustoms figuring bend angles and welding in center sections of the roll cage. Very Happy

Center sections of roll cage tack welded. Looks better than anticipated. Applause

[/img]
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! Good times.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: