Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1000 mile trip in the 53!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I made it! Here's the whole low down for those that are interested:

First of all, when I flew in to meet David at his work and do the check thing at his bank, they wouldn't accept the check from my bank because it wasn't certified. Great, it's freak'n Friday. So we manage to find a Navy Federal to change the check out fifteen minutes before closing. One bullet dodged. So, now, instead of heading out the next morning to drive 4 hours to Lock Haven, we have to wait till 9 because I have to be there to sign the check at his bank. Oh well. We were hung over anyway and needed to load the rest of David's stash (which is out of this world. More on that later) in his truck. Of course it snowed all night and all the way there, but the roads were clear so I knew that wouldn't be an issue driving the bus.
We get to Josh's shop, Rust Haven German Restorations, and I get to meet the Josh and see the projects he has going. Man he does good work and is an awesome guy to boot. He had stitches closing a massive gash in his upper lip that he got starting my bus the day before with the crank start! That didn't slow him down much though. So, we worked on some tail light issues, taped up a few holes for the trip and off we went. Josh rode with me in the bus to Target and David followed so they could show me where it was and sort of do a 15 minute shake down of the bus. It ran great, just as I knew it would. I think we got it up to 53 miles an hour. Then we said our good byes and good lucks and those guys took off. I went in and bought the propane heater David recommended and that was it. Remember I had no tools with me what so ever, so now would have been the time to get a little emergency set. Nope, not one screw driver. I just said "fuck it", and hauled ass (relative term here).
So, I started out, without the heater because I figured it would be alright till the sun went down and then I would crank it up. David made it sound like this thing would just blast the whole bus and it would be awesome. Well, with temps in the teens, and no pedal pan to keep the wind out, that idea did't last long and it got dark at 4:30 anyway and I didn't get on the road till 3:30. Well, I put the thing together and I set it on the floor on the passenger side thinking that would be close enough and it would heat the cab area pretty well. Um, no. All it did was provide a pretty orange glow two feet away. Suckin! So, at the next stop, I just folded the legs in on the stand and put it on the floor in between my legs and it just fit. Now, I could alternated hands while driving, with one on the wheel and one just over the heater to heat my gloves up and if I close my knees together a little I could feel it on my legs. Mmmm toasty.
So, for the next 27 hours, (you win the pole Gibbs) I would drive for about an hour and a half, stop, thaw my right foot out so that I could feel the gas pedal being pushed, drink a cup of coffee to bring my core temp back up and prepare for the next leg of the trip. Straight through, resting only long enough for coffee, warmth and to stretch my back and legs. It was awesome. The only bus issue was when I managed to pop the shifter out of the shift rod. Luckilly, I was across the road from a gas station that had a small cresent wrench for 3 bucks. I loosend the two bolts, popped'er back in, adjusted the shifter properly and kept going. I left at 3:30 and parked in my driveway at 7:30 last night. Hugged my kids, thanked my wife for allowing me this awesome hobby and took the best, hottest shower of my life.
I left out the whole, 50mph, 6v lighting, traffic, truckers in the mountains etc, part to keep this sort of short, so, suffice it to say it was a long night.
Thanks to Brendan, Josh and David for all thier help in getting this whole thing done. You guys are the best. And thanks to all the supportive words from my Samba brothers.
Oh, and one more thing. I would do it all over again tomorrow if I had to!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome! congrats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome. i laughed the whole time i read that.

i'll just sit back and wait to hear about all the fabulous prizes i've won.

and let's not discuss what we saw at josh's shop, aight?

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a very memorable trip! Glad you made it without any hassles

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

27 hours straight? That is crazy. Glad you made it though.

It's probably better you had no tools. Usually when I bring everything I can think of is when something goes wrong and I don't have the one tool or part I needed.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, very cool trip!

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time when I'm down your way on a surf trip I'll come by, so other wise when it warms up.
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome dude, glad you made it home safe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUCIOBATISTI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on now, Vince, I sense that you WANT to do it again!

Balls of steel, big big balls of steel. I mean who wouldn't want to drive a 58 year old Bus thousands of miles in far-below-freezing temps and snow, solo, with no tools?

Glad you are happy and that you had a safe and successful trip and I wish you continued enjoyment of the Bus!

That's the best place to see the latest things we are up to as well as catch an occasional sneak peek of our latest car and parts listings!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54taterbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love hearing about and going on vw adventures like this. congrats!!!!!!
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Gibbs, I didn't see nuttin. Brendan, balls I have. Sense, well that's another story. And yes, I will enjoy it. It's going to be my daily driver baby! Now if I could just score a Barndoor Mafia T-shirt my quest will be complete......for now. Very Happy
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slacker, should have done it in 26. Cool
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my65vert wrote:
slacker, should have done it in 26. Cool

1 too many coffee breaks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DaKine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great story! Glad you made it with no real issues..too cool! Congrats.

Cool
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuckin' A man. Congrats on the sick bus and one badass story to carry with you for a long time.
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sick story. Many good secrets at rust haven.. Wink
What model propane heater did you get? need a 3000 btu or bigger to make any difference.

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ace
any trip pics?
65Nsqback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool Vince good to hear the trip went well ...now post up some pics Wink

I'm Trying to help you.......but you don't hear me...
BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the Coleman 5035. Only 1500 BTU's. Felt like 5 though. Not 5 thousand, 5. Sad I only have the couple pics that David took before I left. It was just too frigg'n cold to take my hands out of my gloves! I'll post the pics in a bit. Lots of snow.
KombiMonster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn thats a trip! Good job, and I'm sure that little 36 can do it many more times!

*WANTED*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: