Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was gonna say have one guy push on the lever, while another kicks from inside with a single steady push (not repeated bangin on the door)

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
i was gonna say have one guy push on the lever, while another kicks from inside with a single steady push (not repeated bangin on the door)

Agreed. Also try the steady push on both the front and rear.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
while a helper turns the handle down

Do keep that in mind. I bet using the push and pull method it'll open. Smile
Oh, and I’d love to see pictures in a new thread if you get a chance!

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just because i fixed another one today, i made this video. just to impress the fact that this is SO easy to remove, you have no excuse to not take the door all the way off to replace the seal. NO excuse.

Link

i struggled only because i did not remove the cover. i highyl recommend removing the cover if you can do so.

but even struggling with it...less than a minute to remove completely.....cmon...no excuse..

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunvale1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: slider removal Reply with quote

The side door slider was a great write up, but I need some information like it on how to take out the sliding ROOF without braking it or me or the chain that works it.
Hopefully somebody has a write up on it some place.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a horse of a different color...

I just checked and the Bentley has a great section on the sunroof. Take a looksie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search. There are a couple threads for the roof.
christine72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Daylight through new door seal Reply with quote

Replaced the sliding door seal (correctly) and have light seeping in along front edge after adjusting the door using the Bentley instructions.

Closes with gaps equal all around. Top, bottom, back flush with the body. But front edge only flush with body near roof and floor. Latches, releases, locks, retainer catches and remote handles release it. BUT that light leak - which equals a water leak right!

Thoughts?

Past VWs
1967 Fastback (my first car); 1971 Square back; Several Jettas '88 -'97

The one I regret not buying:
72 Karmann Ghia, with autostick.

Last edited by christine72 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your seal could be inside out. It's easy to install backwards, but it only seals one way. Could you post a close-up picture of your installations? I can't find any close-ups of both at the moment.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have exact same problem, but i thought my door may be bent... major air leak for sure. Not water yet though.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Daylight through new door seal Reply with quote

christine72 wrote:
Replaced the sliding door seal (correctly) and have light seeping in along front edge after adjusting the door using the Bentley instructions.

Closes with gaps equal all around. Top, bottom, back flush with the body. But front edge only flush with body near roof and floor. Latches, releases, locks, retain catches and remote handles release it. All got BUT that light leak - which equals a water leak right!

BUT, light is coming through along the front at the latch/lock. Door is flush with body at top, bottom and back. But on the front end it's flush with the body near roof and floor, but not in between.

Thoughts?

Where did you purchase the seal and where was it made? The quality is all over the place for door rubber these days. I bought an engine lid seal from Wolfsburg West for my 70'. It leaves a LOT to be desired and the lid doesn't close correct due to it. I'm currently looking for another seal made by someone else.

As mentioned, post some pics of your seal installation and of the gap in the door when it's closed.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
christine72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Your seal could be inside out. It's easy to install backwards, but it only seals one way. Could you post a close-up picture of your installations? I can't find any close-ups of both at the moment.

I'll give pictures another try. I took a dozen or so, but none worked out.

Past VWs

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
christine72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Daylight through new door seal Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

Where did you purchase the seal and where was it made? The quality is all over the place for door rubber these days. I bought an engine lid seal from Wolfsburg West for my 70'. It leaves a LOT to be desired and the lid doesn't close correct due to it. I'm currently looking for another seal made by someone else.

As mentioned, post some pics of your seal installation and of the gap in the door when it's closed.

Bought it at Halsey Automotive Parts in Portland Oregon. I asked them if it was made in Germany, and they couldn't say. It was the only one in stock though, and my bus was getting saturated.

At least it's dried out now. But it seems water will ultimately get in.

Not only that, but my door opened as it should, with a spring in it's step and sliding unasisted down the track. Not any more. Catches on the rubber. I'll try to get pictures again.

Past VWs

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh Reply with quote

I just finished replacing the swing arm on my sliding door mechanism on my 69 storage shed. This thread was very useful. I took a few photos, and have a few observations.

Here is a photo of an early (69) and a late (not sure of exact year donor) door side housing. (using the Bentley nomenclature)

Early one is on top in this photo...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Early...

later...

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh Reply with quote

Here are comparison shots of the slider/roller mechanism.

Early...

Later...

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh Reply with quote

And here is a shot of the pieced together conglomeration of parts that is now installed and sliding well. Gotta keep the neighborhood cats from pissing on my parts pile.

A few observations... This job was not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. I am just a backyard mechanic with a decent set of tools, a willingness to try, and a wood heated garage.

I cleaned and lubed things as necessary, but was not concerned with appearances since this bus is used for storage. On a nice bus, I would follow the lead and paint things all pretty and shiny.

Getting the long spring pulled onto its hook was a challenge, but the right combo of screwdriver size and curse words made it fall into place. Beer helped. I also had to replace the operating cam, as the original had cracked in half. Colin's photos showing proper orientation of that cam were very helpful.

Notice the differences in some of the parts in the photos. The early housing is bushed where the swing arm passes through, the later setup just rides directly in the cast housing. Not sure what it better, but the late swingarm does not fit into the early housing. Different shaft/bushing diameters. Good to know when sourcing parts.

The bus on which this door hangs is missing the forward 1/3 of its bottom track due to rust, so I have to hold the door up during the open/close operation. A patch for that is next on the list.

I came very close to screwing some big ass strap hinges to this door and the side of the bus, but I just could not bring myself to screw into the original paint. Call me a softy, but I couldn't do it.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Sliding Door Reply with quote

Pictures
Sliding door parts

68-73 Sliding Door+Directions+Operating+Operation+Using

Tcash
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chabanais wrote:
Nice!

You can also buy a new one for $45.

The bearing itself easily pressed out of my roller using the same puller I used to pop the roller off the slider piece.

The bearing number on the shaft says the size/type is FAG 607-RS.

Searching Amazon revealed that bearings of this size (19 OD x 7 id x 6 tall) are available as roller skate bearings. I just ordered a 10-pack for about $10.

We shall see how they do in the long term, but I imagine they'll be pretty good.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
chabanais wrote:
Nice!

You can also buy a new one for $45.

The bearing itself easily pressed out of my roller using the same puller I used to pop the roller off the slider piece.

The bearing number on the shaft says the size/type is FAG 607-RS.

Searching Amazon revealed that bearings of this size (19 OD x 7 id x 6 tall) are available as roller skate bearings. I just ordered a 10-pack for about $10.

We shall see how they do in the long term, but I imagine they'll be pretty good.

Same here, I just pressed out the old and installed a new one. Much better now. New bearing was about $8 at the bearing house down the street from work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding Door Hinge Assy Refresh Reply with quote

Okay new plan...I'm gonna get new bearings now instead of lubing the old ones ....sounds way more effective.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: