Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Champagne first bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Don't over-adjust the steering box to compensate for shortcomings in other rods. Wink

Have a helper QUICKLY snap the wheel back and forth through the free play while you put your hands and eyes on each steering components. The drag link is the #1 suspect, which is easily replaceable but takes some time to dial in, if its your first time. Tulsa, 2020 Tour, anyone? Cool

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Would not be all that hard to make that side straight again. I'd use a Spitznagel Dentfix. It just spot welds the end on, then a slide hammer to pull back the dent a little. Just gotta work it out- last in, first out. Kinda like an old time slide hammer puller, but no holes to fill.
Badly inked areas like the panel flanges you'll have to get behind them with a sharp tool and reform the factory bends.
I've got a 1983 Vanagon 50k mile original paint car that some young woman tried to drive thru me while I was stopped on the road.
I'll try to save some of the original paint.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've got some experience pulling collision damage, but right now I'll have to make do with improvised equipment.
That's a brand new genuine VW inner and outer rocker laying on the floor, if I need them. I hope I don't.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Hey, in the end, a driving functional bus on the road is worth a million. Turd Polish or not.

Yea, this fart knuckle is right. There is no better feeling than driving YOUR bus. Like yea driving a nice looking bus is good but sorry, I rather take my Bonnibel than Skillz's fastASfuck bus.

On seat belts, I ordered belt from GoWesty and they were 9 inches too short. I got into an email back-and-forth with one of their reps and they got me the right junk. Not worth the money I spent, but my seat belt is at least the right size now.

But damn, okay yea good job on the dents. If I was in your vans I wouldn't be worrying about that for years. As long as dem windows seal it's all good.

hey I'll trade you a slider window for a camper window Wink

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Thanks Jason! I appreciate you man.

Robbie, thanks for the quick tip - the drag link is something I hadn't even researched yet. Found it at bughaus for $65, seems easier than torsion leaves! Wink I'll follow that guidance and eventually report back with what's what. and DUDE, I totally want you to come through Tulsa. Fingers crossed, but there's always next year. I'm going to take some vacation from work next time you're around so we can hit the town together. You're always welcome here!

Alan, thanks for the insight. Sorry to hear about your Vanagon dude, that color combo is one of my favorites on those. I appreciate the tips, but Ill never be a bodywork kinda guy. I understand the basics about rust conversion and treatment, and I'm leaving it at that for now. There are too many tools and supplies and knowledge needed. With all my other hobbies and activities there is just no way I'll ever get into bodywork.

Pretty much every time I take it out, a stranger asks me if I'm going to paint it. Don't they understand how much I spent on these OEM scratches and dents?

Brian, I wish you could join Robbie on a trip to the midwest. I've only ever driven two other buses, Stu's Maisy and a 1968 deluxe that my friend was selling several years ago. There really is no better feeling than driving your own. It's dope! Oh, and no window trades for the moment, sorry bud! The Champagne has a lightly green-tinted glass. I can't part the windows from the car. I'm doing a modest stock build, with some reversible light modernization to suit my needs. My next one though (don't tell my GF there's a next one just yet) I will definitely be wanting to get a little more wild. It will absolutely be a late bay with sliding windows, and you'll be first on my list for a window trade Razz
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
notchboy wrote:
Hey, in the end, a driving functional bus on the road is worth a million. Turd Polish or not.

Yea, this fart knuckle is right. There is no better feeling than driving YOUR bus. Like yea driving a nice looking bus is good but sorry, I rather take my Bonnibel than Skillz's fastASfuck bus.

On seat belts, I ordered belt from GoWesty and they were 9 inches too short. I got into an email back-and-forth with one of their reps and they got me the right junk. Not worth the money I spent, but my seat belt is at least the right size now.

But damn, okay yea good job on the dents. If I was in your vans I wouldn't be worrying about that for years. As long as dem windows seal it's all good.

hey I'll trade you a slider window for a camper window Wink

Cheers to that. A sweet resto is always fun to look at and even own. But the soul of it all lies in the rough, sweaty, dented, dinged and scratched OG's rolling around. Cool

Patina that looks like it was underwater for 4 years, um not so much Laughing Thats where I draw the line.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I'll spare the pics but the accelerator cable stretched or something on me and I lost the pedal while cruising today. I was going like 39 uphill, all was good, then I had sort of a lugging and my cable popped. I managed to coast up the rest of the hill and into a neighborhood. It was tight. That's the current #1 contender for power loss right now. Throttle wasnt opening the right way.

My 500 miles of shaking out the bugs continue.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

After looking at the cable, I saw an enormous amount of slack between the throttle body and the firewall.

No wonder the pedal stopped working. How TF did this happen?
Here's a crap pic...during diagnosis. Previously I maybe had 1.5 inches of leftover cable poking through the barrel. This image shows I have way more than that.

I'm pasty as fuck in this lighting but it was 95 degrees with humidity at 1,000,000% so I didn't bother taking the time to get any gofundme #vanlife portraits of the issue lol

So, all of a sudden my cable just grew 2 or 3 inches? It looks awesome like I said before, tightly wound, no fraying, mostly clean, but dry. So dry. I lubed the crap out of it before I reinstalled.

There was also a piece of hose between the metal tube and the firewall, something I didn't notice prior to engine install. I think this may have been a leftover band-aid I tried out when I had a brief spell with dual carbs and I had to move the cable a little bit. I don't know. Maybe that was hanging it up somehow, and when it gave out, the slack was released? That doesn't really make sense and I don't have the energy to focus on random theories.

So for now I have 2 accelerator cables on order, and my old cable has been adjusted. It responds nicely, the throttle has a broad range again. I haven't taken it for a spin yet but I will soon. I guess I've just lost a little bit of confidence. 130 miles, zero breakdowns. Then 2 breakdowns back to back. I'm already almost out of free AAA tows for the year Crying or Very sad I guess these are those fabled shakedown miles I've read about - the first 300 or 500 miles after sitting and rebuild are when you really face the little things that can go wrong...right? Somebody please tell me it's going to be okay Laughing

Next time, I'm DEFINITELY bringing my tools with me when I drive.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I managed to swing a brown rubber cargo mat from the classifieds here. Took it upon myself to scrub the cargo floor and wash the mat before swapping out the carpet.

It looks really good in there, but the bolts I have for the seat arent long enough so my middle seat cant bolt down yet.

Here's some cleanup pics:

The mat hanging out to dry:

Some evidence of the wreck, a torn seat cover:

And the fade from the OG corduroy color to what most champagnes exhibit in present day:

I guess I'm gonna need to nab some longer bolts and I'll be ready to roll. No more orange fibers hanging in the air from the old carpet lol.

I didnt go all out on the floors yet, when my GF and I get a bigger house next year I plan to solve a lot of my surface rust all over the bus. It can wait another year or two, I've got my eye on it.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

The bolts I acquired from bughaus a few years ago are a few mm longer than the other bolts I had, so I did some swapping and gog the middle seat mounted on two bolts. I'll get a few more to finish it up soon. Looks good! I even found some better screws for the deluxe slider door floor strip.

I also realized that my champagne middle seat kick panel broke...
Good thing I have a spare! Unobtainium!

And I found a little brown screw cap, so I put it on a screw lol. I have the brown metal cover for this area, but I'm holding off until I get the seat pedestal mats. Then this area is going to really come together!

That's all for now. Waiting on bughaus for my little order, spare throttle cables and a new Bowden tube. My current one is split pretty badly and I think its contributing to my rough shifting.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

That turned out nice Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Thanks, man! Still keeping my eye open for a brown front floor mat and walk-through mat Cool
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Robbie stopped by the ol' Cherokee Nation for some fun on Tulsa Time.

He did most of the labor this time, trying to keep my somewhat recently injured back on the road to recovery.

Front shocks were swapped out with new, resistor pack for the fuel injectors replaced, a full-ass tank of gas added, steering box adjusted, blower fan harness plug repaired, ignition circuit repaired, engine properly timed. Drives pretty good now! Lots of power, no hesitation, and just a little bit of CRUD in the fuel filter.

The power wire to the fuel pump was only crimped on to about half of the strands of the wire. I wonder if that contributed to that pump failing early? It whined and pissed and moaned constantly. The new pump (red in the picture) is quiet, uses the proper rubber mounts, and has all around been far more pleasant that the way-too-expensive-to-have-already-shit-the-bed bosch fuel pump.

Thanks again, Robbie! Let's do it again sometime!

Buddy and Fatman

Fatman and Littleboy

Pumpin' ain't easy

Robbie with the fabled AFC FI manual

Didn't take a lot of pics, but the bus is finally (again) back (again) running (again) pretty good! We played lots of frisbee, drank a shit ton of beer, and ate some tasty food. It was tight.

Next on the list: interior upgrades, wiper relay, wax, match the remaining lock cylinders to my key, passenger side window seals.

Thanks for tuning in!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Sweet. Cool

Robbie needs a haircut.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Well, we did trim each other's pubes, so we got that going for us.

We were wearing masks, don't worry Wink
1970 Auto Fastback FI
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
Well, we did trim each other's pubes, so we got that going for us.

We were wearing masks, don't worry Wink

Dude, ya nastey. Neutral Neutral Neutral

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:

Rustoleum Krylon ruddy brown is pretty close to fox red when it's fresh... I shared that lil trick with Kirky-boy a long time ago...where is he these days?

Hay gurl haaaay.

I'm around, mostly lurking, and working too much.

I bought those HumVee belts and put them in Bear. I am more-er portly-er than I used to be and they are too snug. I need another (read that as larger) option.

Good to see progress!

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
Thanks, man! Still keeping my eye open for a brown front floor mat and walk-through mat Cool

I somehow did not know this was a thing, and now feel like I need it in my life.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Kirk wrote:
secretsubmariner wrote:

Rustoleum Krylon ruddy brown is pretty close to fox red when it's fresh... I shared that lil trick with Kirky-boy a long time ago...where is he these days?

Hay gurl haaaay.

I bought those HumVee belts and put them in Bear. I am more-er portly-er than I used to be and they are too snug. I need another (read that as larger) option.

Good to see progress!

I'm not even portly, but I don't like the HumVee belts I bought and installed in my '78. They are short enough that leaning over to roll down the passenger window is annoying.

I have a different set in my '73 that are much better, but all of the identifying marks are too faded to determine what they are from anymore.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Kirk wrote:
secretsubmariner wrote:

Hay gurl haaaay.

Good to see progress!

I'm not even portly, but I don't like the HumVee belts I bought and installed in my '78. They are short enough that leaning over to roll down the passenger window is annoying.

I have a different set in my '73 that are much better, but all of the identifying marks are too faded to determine what they are from anymore.

I need to look into that more, because I agree. Im 6'3(ish) 215(ish) and they are no longer comfy.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Damn boys! I didn't notice this thread had replies. Kirk, glad to see you're still kickin'! And You're taller than you look in pictures! LOL

Lately the bus has been driving really well. Lots of power in all gears, no complaints except my gas gauge is on and off working correctly.

ANYWAY- No period of high-bliss comes without a little issue popping up to say hello.

I have a question and I'm having a hard time narrowing my search.

I noticed while driving that my brakes feel kinda funky. I can push the pedal down about 1/3 of the way, and it kinda feels like I'm braking, but then I hit a "wall" - as in the pedal is not as easy to depress, and stopping becomes more effective at this point.

I bled brakes at the same time I replaced my rear shoes and brake hardware, it must have been 5 years ago, ish? In that time I've only put like, 100 miles on the car (because of rebuild and, and, and)

What does this sound like? Should I bleed the brakes again and see if that improves? I read in a thread that brakes should be bled every two years....not sure if that's accurate. I'm hoping my MC isn't starting to poop out on me, so some steps in the right direction would be super helpful.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 53 of 55

Jump to: