Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Champagne first bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Gathering wiring info for door contact switches. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
The concept of the switch is to ground the domelight circuit (light gets power all the time, it's the ground that's switched), find the terminal that connects to the piece of metal with the little pointy spot that ouches the switch body when it's not compressed.
And yes it's OK to piggyback it onto the front light if you want to, it doesn't draw that much current. But it sure is nice to be able to shut off that light when your idiot kids/friends leave it on as you're driving Wink

Laughing ah, busdaddy. Always good for a laugh.

Regarding the 4-wire door contact switch- I think it's an early bay thing.

lintbrush wrote:

My wires in my 70 didn't match the diagram, but things are working.

Here is where my wires are going:
1) Brown/white dual wire one goes to interior light and passenger door jam.
2) Brown is ground
3) Black/white is going to ignition
4) White is going to the buzzer
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Curtquarquesso wrote:

Brownish-grayish wire: To ground. Goes through T1 insulated connector behind instrument cluster as seen in diagram, then goes to the steering wheel.

Gray/Black Striped Wire: Goes to the buzzer relay, if you still have one.

Brown/White Striped Wire: One wire goes to the dome light, one wire goes across to the other door switch.

White: I'm not entirely sure actually. Where does it lead to currently?

Now I'm cooking up a KOOKY idea of installing a sliding door switch which activates the rear dome and perhaps some type of LED under the slider door.

I used this search to get the threads that lead me here. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search...=titleonly
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Quote:
Now I'm cooking up a KOOKY idea of installing a sliding door switch which activates the rear dome and perhaps some type of LED under the slider door.

Track 7 sliding door switch F7
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_77-78.jpg

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5...oor+switch
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1739751#1739751

Tutorial for (door buzzer) stereo switch

GD
Tcash

Quote:
When I pulled the door switch, I only noticed 2 wires.

Your left door contact switch should have 4 terminals and wires.
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

So F2 and F7 are the driver's door switch and the slider switch, respectively. W is the front dome light, W1 is the rear dome light

The added "Rear Door Switch" is for... the back hatch?

Wait! Where'd the diagram you just posted go!? I was lookin' at that! lol
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I posted it for the slider originally. Whoops

Tcash
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: HIGHWAY OUT THE COMFORT ZONE! COMFORT ZONE! Reply with quote

Thanks, man.

My project for last evening was to hook up the proper hazard switch with my newly made diagram. It was a breeze!

Then I moved on. I previously freshened up my washer bottle, and found that my hoses are kaputt. So I yoinked the steering column shit off last night to get a better look at my wiper switch. I have had this out before, but I didn't have so much edumactaion back then. Razz

Some dummy cut 3 wires to the wiper switch, and added a big bulky connector back to one of them, for some reason. They just left a red wire and a brown wire undone.

tiiiiiight.

So I popped it apart, once again not quite documenting things as well as I should have, probably. I popped the white plastic 'legs' off of the switch housing. I want to say I gently unclasped the bottoms to loosen the wires from the 'legs'...but I did not. I busted the teensy tiny lil tab that holds the bottom on. It's minor tho. I was faced with the issue of snipping the sheathing off the 3 cut wires in such a small space.

No, no, no. This won't do.

Tonight I'll be experimenting with my heat gun for the first time. The goal is perfect connections at those 3 wires, while keeping them slim so they fit in the grooves.
Exclamation The wires that come out of the base of the legs must be in the correct order! Each connector goes in a specific slot on the harness' connector. Exclamation

Now I need to figure out if the way I put it back is the same way I took it apart. I daresay the wiring diagram shan't be of use. NAY! I need photos. & if I can't find any, I'm gonna pop off the steering wheel of my other bus and see what it's wiper switch looks like. That's a last resort though. Twisted Evil

I also did A LOT of sanding and started to test out this Rustoleum Rust Converter Gel stuff on my bus. The side step was in a sorry state:

The process was: sand entire area really good. Wipe off dust. Squirt the gel on the exposed rusty areas. Wait 10-30 minutes. Wipe gel off. It turns the iron oxide into iron tannate. That's cool I guess. I found the step is starting to pinhole a little bit in one TINY spot. I was kinda bummed Crying or Very sad

Questionshould I get more of that rust color out of the deeper cratersQuestion

I have a powered sander of some kind that could probably take more metal off...

I'll do this to the other side, too. The step looks just as bad. Idk if you can tell from the pictures, but I'm losing metal in these areas fast. If I don't do this right, it's gonna be a serious issue soon.

Now, I found my slider door contact switch hole, and the stopper thing. I'll be acquiring another door switch shortly.

That's all for now. Tonight is just wrapping up the wiper switch and doing the rust treatment to the other sidestep. MAYBE I'll even look for some washer bottle hoses! Razz
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I can snap a better pic of my spare if you need it.

And yes it's intermittent

Try soldering the wires together rather then just shrink wrap. It's slim enough Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

PERFECT! You have a spare intermittent. I'll be hitting you up this evening for specifics. Whew! Very Happy

edit: gonna leave this here for later:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/WasherHoses.html

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=596627&highlight=squirter
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: F Wipers, F Wiring, F! Reply with quote

Summoning the wiring gods

I stopped by Auto-BONE and got some heat shrink, some zip-ties, and some plastic wire conduit stuff to clean up the area behind the dash. (No pics yet, it's still messy)

My first time ever heat shrinking something^. O, why have I gone this long without it? lol

The car itself is chock-full of bullshit right now, thought I'd include a lil pic of the havoc:

Funny thing, I was worried about putting the wires back in order to match the harness. On the phone, Stuart said that the wire colors on the switch match the harness. DUH. So I go to look to document where the red, black, and brown wires go on the switch. They're not even in the harness connector! Empty holes!

Now, my wipers DID work before I took the motor out. By 'work' I mean I could click the switch and they'd move. It was slow, and I never had any need for them, really. Due to never needing them, I have never witnessed the 'intermittent' feature.

The cut wires on the switch ACTUALLY run to the turn signal side. Perhaps these being cut have something to do with why the hazards didn't work? But the signals work at all 4 corners. Confused
1970 Auto Fastback FI
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I don't know if this makes you feel better or not, but my dash and Bus are in a similar condition at the moment!

Along with the new radio, I'm going to install a center channel speaker to help make up for the door speakers being low. I did it in the '73 and it works pretty good, but I will be improving this one with an L-pad to control the volume of the center speaker individually. I'll probably mount the L-pad in the glovebox to keep it out of the way. I think once it is dialed in a little, it won't need much adjusting.

Here is the speaker mounted to the '73 dash.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Nice, Dave! Yes, I'd like a center speaker, too. It does make me feel better, actually.

Hey, while you have that apart, and you have a champagne edition, would you mind pulling the terminals off of your wiper and turn sig from the bottom of the column, and snap a pic? Razz

I'll drive up to KS and buy you a beer when I'm done if you do!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Quote:
Now, my wipers DID work before I took the motor out.

Check the fuse, but it may be the dielectric grease on the contacts inside the motor.

Tcash

The only Red/blk I see on the wiring diagram is from the starter to ign switch terminal 50.
I wonder if it is for a euro headlight dip relay?
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
Nice, Dave! Yes, I'd like a center speaker, too. It does make me feel better, actually.

Hey, while you have that apart, and you have a champagne edition, would you mind pulling the terminals off of your wiper and turn sig from the bottom of the column, and snap a pic? Razz

I'll drive up to KS and buy you a beer when I'm done if you do!

I do love beer!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Other end dave, the switch side

206-841-7324
[email protected]
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I took a pic of what he wrote...

Aren't the wire colors the same on both ends of the plug? I figured that the idea was to match it up that way.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I thought so to and said to check his but they do change color right there unfortunately Sad

I just gotta find my spare switch I have one handy somewhere. Either that or I'll swing by Jason's and snap a pic of his.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Tony must be all worn out from working on the Bus yesterday. Can you confirm, Tony, what you want the pics of?

I didn't pull the steering wheel, but I suppose it wouldn't be that difficult to do.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Found my spare switch. This should help a few of you out confirming your wires.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Dave, you took the exact right pictures of what I needed. The harness connectors. Thanks! Isn't it odd that wires run from the switch into empty holes on the harness? O well, if yours works and it's setup the same as mine, then mine should work too, I guess? lol.

And Stu- thanks bud, for the extra wiper switch pics. You have confirmed that my brown, black, and red wires are in the correct place on the switch.

BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED -

I think I have it solved!

On Friday I mocked up the fitting of the wiper switch, reinstalled the bottle, and started running the hoses ever-so-efficiently behind the kickpanels. I'm only waiting on nozzle and wiper arm grommets. I'm also about 2 feet short on hose. After reading RATWELL's guide to wiper hoses, I thought "There's no fucking way I'm gonna need damn near 12 feet of this bullshit"

I was wrong.

Anyway, after hoses are run and the nozzles are reinstalled, I'm gonna slap the wiper motor back in and call it good enough for now. The next real big deal is tracing the individual wires now from the hazard to each of their components. I don't know why TF the hazards don't work.

Funny thing is, throughout all of this testing and re-wiring I'm doing, I don't even HAVE a battery in my bus. Laughing

In an upcoming episode:
"Why hell can't I get my headlight switch out of the dash?"

"I'm thinking about removing my headliner when the dash is back together"

"Will these repro dome lights last longer than the hella ones?"

"A slider door switch? Yes, please."
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Started buttoning everything up last night. I lost a nut and a washer that keeps a wiper arm on Crying or Very sad

Grommets from bughaus were a perfect fit, and squished up nicely.

Got the last couple of feet that I needed for my nozzles:

Slapped that bad boy back in:

Reinstalled the switch:

One wiper for now:

Question One Question Question
How tight should the wiper arms be on the body? I snugged them up really well, I assume it's meant to be as tight as possible. I just don't want to bind up the linkage and fry the motor that I just fixed.

Also, I couldn't get the nozzle seals new locally, so I opted to re-use. I may put a dab of RTV underneath each one to make sure no water can get through...but I haven't decided yet. All in all I'm pleased with everything so far. We'll see how pleased I am when I put the battery back in Rolling Eyes

I've been having trouble getting the headlight switch out. For some reason that sucker is hanging on with everything it's got.

I used the official Snap-On tool for removing the escutcheons and it wallowed it out to the point of no return. Motherfucker is ON THERE. So tonight, I'm thinking I may get the dremel out and very carefully either saw the switch off from the back, or buzz off the escutcheon from the front. I have a replacement switch all ready to go. (I only want to get the switch out because its my only switch now that I haven't done a full R&R on, and its connectors are N.A.S.T.Y.)

Still forthcoming in the epic saga of the Champagne Wrangler™
"What's behind the firewall?"
"Will the dash ever get put back together?"
"How many shots of Jack Daniels can I have before I can't hold a screwdriver straight?" (The answer, I found out, is about 6)
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Chisel carefully into one side of the switches hold in screw in the losses direction. Creates a new slot plus loosens it.

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 43 of 55

Jump to: