Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Champagne first bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Awesome! Congrats!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Thanks Dave! 100% stoked.
I don't know why, but my battery light alternator wire worked when I first tested it, but I noticed it didn't come on when I did a test drive. I'll have to check it out again but at least the wire is routed under the bus, which was the hardest part in my opinion lol.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I solved my alternator idiot light problem. Turns out the bulb came out of the instrument cluster when I reinstalled it.

Took the bus to Bughaus around the corner from me. One of the guys that works there very generously timed my bus with a timing light for me.
When we were done, he showed me my idle was at 1260 Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First thing I did when I got home was check all my vacuum hoses...everything seemed to be tight and in place. So I whipped out the old AFC guide!

My idle adjustment screw was backed almost all the way out. So I turned it 1/4 of a turn, and then another 1/4, and another 1/4...then it sounded much better. I still need to get my own timing light so I can make a quick confirmation in times like this.

At this point we're fully broken in! I drove a whopping 3 miles with no hesitation, so sputter, no nothin'. I guess I still don't know what an FI Type IV engine should feel like when driving, but I know what mine feels like.

I'm waiting on a foam engine seal to arrive and my back up lights quit working. But overall it's feeling like an 8 year adventure that ended in success.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Nice!!!
DrKamikazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

This is awesome, plus I love bughaus! Those guys were always so helpful when we were building out our old ‘78. And they never tried to convince us to rip off the FI for carbs.
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:
Nice!!!

Cool likewise dude! The effort you've put in to your white bus is killer. It was inspiring when I was spent!

DrKamikazi wrote:
This is awesome, plus I love bughaus! Those guys were always so helpful when we were building out our old ‘78. And they never tried to convince us to rip off the FI for carbs.

Dude Yeah! The guys at Bughaus really know their shit.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I'll continue to log the adventures of my bus work here. I mostly just like to log the progress so I can easily access the things I've done. Even though it kinda feels like I'm just muttering to myself like a homeless person sometimes on here Laughing

Update 1: I bought 3 Fuel Injection fuel filters from Napa. Truth be told I've had better customer service from steaming fresh piles of DOGSHIT but at least I have a nice lil stash of filters now. I knocked out a ton of crap in the tank a couple years ago before the engine went back in. Now I'm regretting not having it professionally cleaned. The filter I'm currently using is getting pretty clogged. I hope that almost all of it is out the tank now - there were no discernable flakes or chunks when I examined the tank before reinstalling. Fingers crossed - I'll change the filter and see if it clogs up like this one. Pics to come on that later.

Update 2: Engine to body seal for Type IV engines should arrive tomorrow - which will make for some nice weekend cruising if all goes right.

Question Time:

Intermittent Wipers - can anyone with intermittent wipers chime in with where the relay goes under the fuse box? In the stupid question thread I was told there isn't a relay. Rolling Eyes Am I wrong? Am I crazy? I'm hoping another Champagne owner can maybe snap a pic of their relays. Right now the only thing that doesn't work on the bus is the wipers - and after refreshing the motor and tidying up the original wiring - it seems like the relay is the first and easiest step.

I think the order of relays from left to right is:
Flasher
Headlight
Blank
Buzzer
Blank

So the intermittent wiper relay goes in there somewhere, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I recently threw out three ribs under my left rhomboid and doing my favorite German Contortionist routine under the fuse box makes me nauseous.

Am I getting old? LOL
1970 Auto Fastback FI
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

My intermittent wipers haven't worked for a long time, and I haven't really gotten around to figuring out the problem yet. They did at one time.

But I can tell you there is a relay.

I *think* it is between the headlight and buzzer locations.

I suppose you could drop the fuse box (only two screws) and take a peek at the backside of the relay panel and see which one has wires going to it!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I can shoot a pic of mine later but it may be in a different position to yours - mine not being a stock install.

From my recollection there are several spaces to plug it in - orientation of the relay male tabs under the fuse block.

So finding the right one....... Think This is how me, monkey would do this. Laughing

Or one could actually pull the block down and trace the wiper wires back. Wink Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Take the two Philips head fuse box mounting screws out and let the fuse box lean rearwards. Take a few pictures of the empty slots, from above and below, so we can see what wires go where. I’m almost certain that the relay would mount externally to the fuse box and be fine; there is no break in the factory wires from switch to motor, besides the plastic plug on the motor itself.

A) is your wiper motor the one that came with the car?
B) are there any wire plugs or connections in the wiper wiring harness at all? Pics if so.
C) do your wipers work at all?
D) consider this image from a google search, matching your part number:

My suspicion is that VW had a different wiper harness for the CE's with intermittent wipers. From the picture, you can see that to take a "regular" wiper harness and include the intermittent relay, wires will have to be spliced. Then it's a question as to weather or not they stuck the wires right on the relay and mounted the relay to the steering column support bracket like relays on early bays. Or they could have lengthened the modified wires a little and run them to the fuse box to mount the relay there. I hope this was done from the factory, and I hope you still have A, this wiring harness. Then B will determine where the relay goes. Smile

See YOU on the road,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Dave, Jason, thank you so much for pitching in, I really appreciate it. I guess I'm not crazy after all!

Robbie,

A) yes - wipers worked perfectly before I took the engine out.
B ) yes - it's the late style single plug handy connector
C) no - the switch does absolutely nothing at the moment
D) Considered - and thank you for that image. I can't tell you how many NASKEET novellas I flipped through before I realized he wasn't ever going to tell me something I was actually looking for.

I think you're right, the CEII probably does have a specific harness for the intermittent. I will not have to splice anything, I shouldn't have to do anything at all except plug the relay into the right spot. I will double check all the grounds and the motor's plug to the harness to make sure it's all good. I did clean the under dash area very thoroughly and spruced up all the grounds I could find when I had the dash apart a couple of summers ago. The pic helps tremendously - I will trace the wires from the motor plug to see where they go on the fuse box.

I was hesitant to perform any "monkeying" (thanks Jason lol) because of the aforementioned shoulder injury. Now I think I have a better idea of what to do.

Thank you guys SO MUCH!
I will post pics in the next day or two - it's likely we will get our first freeze in the next couple of days.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Yeah, those NASKEET novellas. Rolling Eyes Good guy. Full of energy at times. Laughing Just don't say his name 3 times Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Laughing

He is a good guy, I'm sure of it.
1970 Auto Fastback FI

Last edited by secretsubmariner on Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Got a few things done today, mostly dedicating my time and cash on the engine still.

I never realized how badly this thing is burnt up. I just used electrical tape to tape each wire and then tape it up out of the way until I find a replacement plug Crying or Very sad

On the bright side I installed the engine seal and the seals for the blower fan hoses!

And now I'm swapping out the fuel filter to check on my gas tank

The neighbors are like, super fighting so I'm going inside for a few minutes
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Well, it's pretty bad, I'm hoping this clears up after a couple more filter changes. If not, I think im just going to get another fuel tank.

My dremel wasnt able to open it but I marked it "first 15 miles" and stashed it to compare to the next one.

Bus started right up when I was done! Very cool.

Now my brights indicator on the dash isnt lighting up but the brights do work...and my passenger tail light is out.
Now I get to do all the relatively easy and rewarding upkeep!

Cruising tomorrow!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I fixed my back up lights by doing what everyone should do first when diagnosing lighting issues. Cleaned the grounds and the connections at the switch. Then I got some gas, checked out my fuel lines from yesterday- dry as bone!

Then I cruised good ol route 66 in Tulsa. Practicing some driving advice I got from bughaus. It's going well! 18 miles logged so far lol
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I just caught myself up on your thread. It's great to see you getting to drive your bus again! It's been a long journey. Hope to see you at cruise night soon and I'll have ot pick your brain when I get into the FI on my 76
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
I just caught myself up on your thread. It's great to see you getting to drive your bus again! It's been a long journey. Hope to see you at cruise night soon and I'll have ot pick your brain when I get into the FI on my 76

I definitely plan on being at 1st Thursday Cruise next week. I owe so much of my journey to your generosity, so seriously - thank you.

I'm more than happy to help sort FI stuff, I have many spare parts and that AFC Manual is just a freaking dream when diagnosing weird stuff. Looking forward to it!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I ordered up 2 fuel pump rubber stops - my pump in N.O.I.S.Y.

I also ordered a blower fan harness plug from Ken at the busco, I was able to get 4 or 5 inches of each wire, too! So that'll really help when it comes time to install.

I found the intermittent wiper relay for only $9.95 +shipping, as opposed to $115 + shipping. I don't mind this price and quality difference - as I don't plan on driving the bus in bad weather yet..but if we get some sprinkles I need the wipers to work.

I will definitely follow up in this thread with information on the relay and if it works / where to find it.

After I get some front shocks installed, I probably won't do any more work to it until Spring. I'm looking forward to driving it around in the cold and getting some real experience, adventures in. Makin' memories!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Intermittent Wiper Relay Reply with quote

Here's a nice follow-up in my quest to get my wipers working. If you have read this behemoth of a thread, you may remember that I repaired some wires in my steering column a couple of years ago.

Idea I have a STOCK Champagne Edition II bus. The wiring in my bus is specifically for the intermittent wiper switch. With that said, I'll recount phase 1 of my diagnosis.

The original German bus relay is over $100 everywhere I look. I didn't want to have to spend that just for testing out my system.

I shucked up $10 for this rabbit/dasher/beetle/whatever relay from partsplace.com - it's manufactured by URO parts.
Is it Chinese Junk? I have no idea. Did it work? Yes. Here's the part number on the box.

Thanks to everyone who replied to me about my wiper relay questions via PM, btw

The relay can only install one way. I started with my first slot available, slot 3 in the fuse box, and what do you know? Turn the key and BOOM! the wipers are movin'! Good and bad news.

I didn't not follow Colin's instructions to pull the blades away from the windshield to test them, though, and I got a little too much resistance.

The blades go, and pause mid way up the windshield, and they continue, and pause on the way back down before resting. I can tell the motor is working but the resistance from the blades on the glass was hindering my test. Another scary thing - when the blades pause mid sweep, if they stay paused for too long I hear a single electrical pop. I think the increased resistance draws more electricity and I'm risking shorting out the harness, plug, or motor. I need to check it again and listen closely to the motor and the switch to determine where that pop comes from. If the blades are still pausing after I pull them away from the glass, I'm going to take the upper dash off, remove the motor again, and re-grease the moving parts of the armature. I know I did forever ago when I reinstalled it, but I don't remember what I used. With a little luck, I'll be able to REALLY wrap this up and hopefully never yoink it out again.

Here's a partial facial to lighten the load of all this text.

I only had about 15 minutes of daylight left on this overcast Halloween night so my only goal was to figure out where the wiper relay goes.

This brought a new problem to light. The wipers move constantly. I don't believe my switch is properly 'parking' the wiper blades. I can go two clicks forward, one click forward, rest, and one click back, and wipers are constantly on in the relay is plugged in.

I need to try it again with a little more light and the blades off the glass to see if I can really get it to park. I just want the bastards to work so I don't have to be scared of a 20% chance of rain and getting stuck somewhere lol.

In more radical news - I found a champagne bus visor! Just paid for it.

Previously I had busted-ass white visors...and I believe I have lost them in a box in one of the 6 times I've freaking moved since I bought this bitch. I'm really looking forward to seeing this new visor cleaned up and installed.

I am still on the lookout for other various champagne parts..I'm currently looking for the little plastic ends that cover the beading on the seat pedestal edges. I saw them on one of my other buses and I really regret not grabbing them. If anyone has any tiny weird champagne parts, feel free to PM me, maybe we can work something out.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 48 of 55

Jump to: