Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Champagne first bus
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

THANK YOU STU! I took down my ad and my stupid question, let's just pretend that didn't happen.

Here's a pic of my dear friend Dewayne and I after we successfully got the engine back in like a month ago. Props to my brother for helping so much that day and snapping the pic.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Man I've really bloated up since I first joined the site forever ago. lol
1978 Champagne Edition II (Jan - sold)
1978 Westfalia Auto Deluxe (sold)

78Kombi wrote:
dude but im a nigerian prince
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Ken will ship them to you, hes got a few.

Stuart Zickefoose
Synergy Solutions

Self Employed Mechanic

1980 Westy~Corkey

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

tonychavalia wrote:
Whats the 411 on the Sprinter parts on the fuel tank? I have to pull one on the bus i just got. I broke the inlet off swapping fuel lines so i have to pull the tank.

Better late than never? Mopar hose that fits the bus tank on ebay

thanks boys for the feedback. The engine is in, nearly everything is complete but I have a problem, go figure.

I have a wanted ad right now for the two bolts that hang the transmission from the body. If anyone has these I'd be happy to pay for them and pay shipping as well.

It's #21 on Ratwell's Microfiche.

Here's another actual pic I borrowed from an old thread:

If anyone has these, I'd be forever grateful to you. I'll be posting elsewhere on the forum to try and find them. No luck during several trips to several hardware stores, everything is too wide to fit.

Thanks!

78Kombi wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

any more progress? Just a friendly thread bump for ya Wink

Stuart Zickefoose
Synergy Solutions

Self Employed Mechanic

1980 Westy~Corkey

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tonychavalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Whats the 411 on the Sprinter parts on the fuel tank? I have to pull one on the bus i just got. I broke the inlet off swapping fuel lines so i have to pull the tank.
asiab3
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

That engine will be running by October 20th.

Tacos on October 19th?

Robbie
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Keep going Tony, your almost there!!! So satisfying turning the key and driving away...you’re not as far away from that as you might think!!!

Stuart Zickefoose
Synergy Solutions

Self Employed Mechanic

1980 Westy~Corkey

206-841-7324
[email protected]
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

lots of work has been done, plenum, injectors, intake runners, fuel lines, cold start valve, new seals and gaskets galore.

I was finishing up the 3/4 side of fuel line when I noticed I forgot to bolt down the intake runner completely on that side. Then I realized I had placed the wrong nut on one of the studs that secures it. Inner diameter was the same but it was a 15mm, not a 13mm outer diameter.

Lo and behold, the nut wouldn't come off, and I pulled the stud out. I had to find a replacement, along with a replacement throttle body gasket, and some nuts, bolts, and FI clamps I was missing. Once I wrap up fuel lines it'll be ready to cram back into the car.

Still quite a bit to do, with temperatures over 100 and humidity out the ass in the Oklahoma summer.

Not a fun update, but lots of progress has been made, I just haven't been updating.
Will post photos when I get the chance to take some!

78Kombi wrote:
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Thanks dude. I will probably be texting you today lol

78Kombi wrote:
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

wish i was there to help...it would take a burger and lemonade and your FI would be all done for you Wink (with teaching you how it all works and where things go along the way of course!)

give me a holler if you need a hand with quick questions on it. text me whenever Smile

Stuart Zickefoose
Synergy Solutions

Self Employed Mechanic

1980 Westy~Corkey

206-841-7324
[email protected]
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I'm hooking up the Fuel Injection on the car and on the engine tomorrow, and if everything goes okay I might have the engine back in and ready to test by Monday-Tuesday.

I made this meme to commemorate making up my mind Razz

78Kombi wrote:
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Anytime, bud.

Grabbers are gone, long gone I'm afraid.

78Kombi wrote:
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

So when am I coming out to see ya again and get that thing dialed?

Can you still get the grabbers? I need some.

Stuart Zickefoose
Synergy Solutions

Self Employed Mechanic

1980 Westy~Corkey

206-841-7324
[email protected]
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Lil update:

Tires are all done, blue Bosch coil has arrived, now I have to wait for a day of no rain so I can install the engine.

78Kombi wrote:
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Have some of those on Grey whale and found the stiff side walls hide low air pressure- SOO- can no longer just "look" at the tires for pressure info- now have to actually use a gauge - Just something to consider-- nice work by the way.-

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Tires ordered and received, fuel sender will be here by Thursday next week.

Battery and bolts for the engine to the frame will probably come this weekend.

Looks like nice weather coming up...

Mr. Man has little care for anything

A brief summary of my tire journey:

A friend of mine had a slightly used set of General Grabbers that he offered at a friend price. I plan on only driving highways and roads, so Grabbers aren't for this project. I love the way they make a bus look though. So I started looking at the road tires the General brand offers...meh. Then I remember everyone busting a nut over Hankook RA08's a while back. I stumbled upon the Hankook Vantra LT RA18. It's load range C, appropriate for light trucks, I was already sold. Then I saw the reviews. Tons of fellow bus drivers from early bays to Vanagons wrote reviews swearing by them. I knew I had found the ones. $85 each on amazon free shipping to my work and then my office smelled like a new shoe store all day. Score.

78Kombi wrote:
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

When putting the engine back together, I accidentally used the special D-head starter bolt to mount the bottom bracket of the alternator. That was not very zen of me. So the engine is completely dressed except the carb, and now I have to take some of it back apart to put that special bolt in the right place. Then it will be ready to install. It's already mated to the transmission, that bolt is the last piece of my puzzle for now.

Today, I transferred the title to the Cherokee Nation for the low price of $21.50. The tag was about 2 years expired so I saved roughly $200+ by switching instead of renewing with the state of OK. That made me belly laugh out loud when I got back in the car at the Cherokee Nation Tag Office. LOLOLOLOL

So now we're up to date on tags, tank's clean, shifter rod couplings are all done, tires are in the works, I need a fuel sender for the tank and a better battery...I know I've been saying this for like, 6 years....but we're getting close!

78Kombi wrote:
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Boesen wrote:
Great job. Had forgotten I sold you those panels years ago. Probably almost 5 years or so I think. Glad they worked for you. Saw your thread pop up tonight and remembered. That bus is still at that junkyard actually. All thats left earlier this year was the dash. Body is still solid as day one, but they won't sell the shell. Glad all of those parts I removed off it are being put to use worldwide.

On your tank straps...I had the same thing on our 75. I just riveted flat steel to join the broken parts together.

Great job though and nice album! Wink

Haha yeah, it probably was about 5 years...man. Hope you're doing well! I think of you and your kindness from time to time, much I like do with lots of the great people on this site.

And thank you very much! Lots more work and music coming up soon. Razz

78Kombi wrote:
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Great job. Had forgotten I sold you those panels years ago. Probably almost 5 years or so I think. Glad they worked for you. Saw your thread pop up tonight and remembered. That bus is still at that junkyard actually. All thats left earlier this year was the dash. Body is still solid as day one, but they won't sell the shell. Glad all of those parts I removed off it are being put to use worldwide.

On your tank straps...I had the same thing on our 75. I just riveted flat steel to join the broken parts together.

Great job though and nice album! Wink
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Lookin good man, keep it up!

78Kombi wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 47

Jump to: