Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Champagne first bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
secretsubmariner wrote:

I don't know if it's just the color red in general, or this red paint in particular, but it is a HUGE bitch to get shiny. It can soak up the wax forever. Endlessly. There is never enough.

You just need the right kind of polish is all, brother.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wink Laughing Love you man.

I feeeeel the love brother, thank you very much. I can't say you're wrong!! Laughing
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

So I FINALLY finished waxing the entire bus. A few nights ago I cracked my toes on the door jamb of my bathroom. It felt like the door cleaved my fucking foot in twain Laughing Turns out it was just disclocated and cracked, I'm on the mend! But I did manage to wrap up the wax job after resting for a day or two.

Here's an in-progress shot, I waxed until the sunset. By the time it was all done there was no light left for pics. Pretty much the entire bus had to get waxed twice. It just soaked that shit up. It STILL needs more touch ups but it's doing its job for sure.

I just realized this is a dogshit photo. I will take some better pics in the sun where I'm flipping you guys off in the reflection, etc. this weekend.

I am going to ramble a bit here on few different subjects. Feel free to chime in, lurk, or ignore me. I just need to log some activity so I don't forget.

120 miles after cam break-in.

Starting: Bus doesn't start as strong as it used to, and the idle is slightly erratic right when it starts up. It levels out after a minute, I assume that's the AAR doing its job. I need to keep an ear and an eye to that system. I have to hit the gas pedal a couple times, and the idiot lights will go off pretty quickly.

Oil: The oil in the case is still CLEAN. Golden. I can't find any leaks whatsoever except a small dabble of oil (maybe 1 or 2 drops that have spread around) around the base of the oil pressure switch. I'm going to keep an eye on that area, but for now I'm not going to do anything.

Battery: I may get a longer negative cable and move my starting battery to the driver's side. I already have a 6 foot positive cable, and holes already drilled from the dealer installed AC I removed. My regular battery tray isn't look great and this will save some original paint for a little bit longer. I can't see a problem with this idea for now. Eventually I will get a new battery tray.

Body: Slider door and rear PS window still have their original seals. I replaced the DS seals and the hatch seal like, 39 pages ago. I need to replace these seals and treat the sills for rust while they're out. I did them first so I could pop the dent out some before reinstalling.

it actually doesn't look that bad. I hope the other side is still in decent shape under the seals Embarassed

Roof: My roof has surface rust that has slowly grown over my time as curator. The rain gutters are in really good shape, but they are starting to accumulate surface rust, too. The bad part is, the surface rust is speckled across the entire roof. There are only small areas where the surface rust has not spread. I need to take some time to grind this down, use some rust converter, lay down like 3 coats of primer and then a few coats of this: https://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up_paint/Volkswagen/1978-Volkswagen-Bus-Fox-Red-LH3A.html and then a few coats of clear coat.

It's not like the bus is a trailer queen or something.

New things: I have some SACHS front shocks coming, and retractable seatbelts, too. Then I want to get some seat pedestal rubber for the tops, not the surrounds. Still looking for the right product.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

What seat belts did you go with?

Years ago I installed some that were recommended here, but they are really too short.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I decided to go with some new universal Hum-Vee seatbelts on ebay. I pickup up the "L" brackets and a seat belt hardward kit from cip1 or busdepot...I did a lot of "window shopping"...I don't recall right now which place I went with.

I hope the seat belts are pretty straight forward to install. I read a thread a long time ago on here that someone bought similar Hum-Vee seatbelts on ebay for the same price I just got these, and they said they were a good length.

We'll see, I guess! I don't know how I'm gonna hook them all up yet but that's part of the fun.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Well darn it! It was the Hum-Vee belts I ordered...

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Oh for real? That sucks...I hope mine are long enough! Lol. I am getting real tired of my dusty crusty floppy gigantic belts. So much maintenance.

Belts will be here by friday, I don't know when the brackets or hardware will arrive. I'll have some fun stuff to do this weekend though for sure.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Retractable Seatbelts review Reply with quote

I started to fit the retractable hum-vee belts I got from ebay. These were cheapies, like $15 each and $13.50 shipping or something. It is still tornado season so I cut my time short.

I definitely got what I paid for, and I'm okay with that. I want to enjoy this bus NOW, after nearly ten years of slowly fixing stuff and growing up and all that shit. Plus, I will definitely buy another bus at some point, so when I replace these with something nicer, I'll have backups for my future bus.

A few things: The top bolt of the seat belt hangs at an awful angle because of the lip that runs vertically on the B-pillar. This means that to pull the belt out and secure it, one must pull directly upward, lest the belt wrap around itself on the up. Sucky. The pic I uploaded of this did not work. I am too lazy to reload.

The belts themselves are quality material. Much nicer than my OG belts.

I might be able to get this to all fit better, I was just kinda doing a dry run experiment. The retractable part of the belt is bulky, I would not be able to slide my seat all the way back if I wanted to. Not that I do, if I sat any farther back I'd always be folded in half trying to reach the shifter.

I was dicking around with the receiver, too. This gigantic washer that came in my kit is probably not meant for this, but I thought it was funny so:

I still gotta pick up a few things for these to be officially called "done", but it's nice to get it started.

I wonder if my new front shocks will arrive today?
1970 Auto Fastback FI
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Nice - how much belt is available on the reel, approx? I'm a "portly fellow" and the stock belts on my 76 are about 8" too short. Did these belts give you a lot more wiggle room?
Thanks!
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Hey wagohn, happy to help:

Here are some numbers for you, hope it helps! At some point today or this weekend I can get a real measurement for you.

I'm 6'1" at 175 lbs, 34" penis..I mean waist...

As I sit in the seat with the seat belt secured, if I grab the shoulder belt and pull, I probably have 8" or less of wiggle room.

I think they'd be uncomfortably snug if a person much bigger than my dimensions were to use them. I'll definitely be measuring the clicky part of the belt and getting a seatbelt extender for comfort.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:

I think they'd be uncomfortably snug if a person much bigger than my dimensions were to use them. I'll definitely be measuring the clicky part of the belt and getting a seatbelt extender for comfort.

Thanks! Sounds like they wont work for me then, I also drive with my seat all the way back.
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

No prob, good luck man! The belts by wolfsburg west or similar that are made specifically for buses will probably be worth the money??
1970 Auto Fastback FI
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
No prob, good luck man! The belts by wolfsburg west or similar that are made specifically for buses will probably be worth the money??

Thanks - I bought basic strap extenders for now (no receivers attached). The extender type with the female receiver built-in on the end did not fit the VW male buckle.
VW sure know how to be awkward. Smile
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:

I was dicking around with the receiver, too. This gigantic washer that came in my kit is probably not meant for this, but I thought it was funny so:

btw that washer is supposed to go on the anchor. So it would be under the floor, above the tire. But we have nuts welded into the body so you don't really need it.

I bet there has to be a rattle can color that's close enough so you can do some touchups on the cheaps.

Also, thoughts on just doing a donkey kick from the inside to try and pop the dents a little? Laughing

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

As I told SS the other day, I don't recommend the HumVee belts. I too bought them due to being recommended here.

But they are really just a little too short. I am in no way portly and have neither a 34 inch waist or penis, but they don't really allow a lot of extra wiggle room for reaching over to the other side (glovebox, etc), or can be a bit short if the seat is scooted forward a bit, or you do have a "portly" passenger ever.

I wish I could figure out what I bought for the other Bus, because they are quite long enough. But unfortunately the numbers on the tag are worn off so I can't tell for sure.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
notchboy wrote:
secretsubmariner wrote:

I don't know if it's just the color red in general, or this red paint in particular, but it is a HUGE bitch to get shiny. It can soak up the wax forever. Endlessly. There is never enough.

You just need the right kind of polish is all, brother.

It’s right next to the welding I’m a can...

Wink Laughing Love you man.

I feeeeel the love brother, thank you very much. I can't say you're wrong!! Laughing
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
Thanks - I bought basic strap extenders for now (no receivers attached). The extender type with the female receiver built-in on the end did not fit the VW male buckle.
VW sure know how to be awkward. Smile

OH balls! that sucks

BRYBRY wrote:

btw that washer is supposed to go on the anchor. So it would be under the floor, above the tire. But we have nuts welded into the body so you don't really need it.

I bet there has to be a rattle can color that's close enough so you can do some touchups on the cheaps.

Also, thoughts on just doing a donkey kick from the inside to try and pop the dents a little? Laughing

Thanks for telling me about the big washer, definitely gonna switch it up.

Rustoleum Krylon ruddy brown is pretty close to fox red when it's fresh... I shared that lil trick with Kirky-boy a long time ago...where is he these days?

And we did pop the worst of the dent 8 years ago on page 14!
secretsubmariner wrote:

Before

After

I didn't even think to take a pic at the same freaking angle for the before and after... doing much more would require getting past the inner wall and all the support crap. I just ain't about it rn. Eventually I'd ideally replace the whole side, right? But when does the body work end? The dogleg is dog shit, the rear quarter panel on the driver's side is stacked to high heaven in bondo... I think I'd rather just keep battling the surface rust and keep a good shine on the paint. I'll try and dedicate a bunch of time in my mid 30's to a non-wrecked auto tin top late bay or a late bay truck Cool

I mean, if you can't really tell it's been wrecked from the inside, and the window seals, it meets the same standard as a non hoss-kicked bus, right? Laughing

vwwestyman wrote:
As I told SS the other day, I don't recommend the HumVee belts. I too bought them due to being recommended here.

But they are really just a little too short. I am in no way portly and have neither a 34 inch waist or penis, but they don't really allow a lot of extra wiggle room for reaching over to the other side (glovebox, etc), or can be a bit short if the seat is scooted forward a bit, or you do have a "portly" passenger ever.

I wish I could figure out what I bought for the other Bus, because they are quite long enough. But unfortunately the numbers on the tag are worn off so I can't tell for sure.

You're right Dave, I had read your opinion of them in at least 1 other thread too, in my most recent research. It's not that I don't trust your experience, I just wanted a quick fix for this summer's fun. Trying to tidy up the front suspension and steering real quick, so I pinched a penny or two on the seat belts lol. Thank you for acknowledging my penis joke, good man Laughing

Now I'm off to huff the turd polish!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Pretty sure the actual microfiche parts book shows retractable seat belts apparently used in markets other than the US/ North America.
Not sure how close they are to Vanagon units.
Somebody from Europe or Australia care to address this?
It's been 30 years since I thought about this much, but I still have a bay in mothballs that I hope to drive someday and the US seatbelts are very difficult to use as a daily driver.
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Alan Brase wrote:
US seatbelts are very difficult to use as a daily driver.

THIS.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I ordered some new sachs oil filled front shocks and they arrived today.

I haven't really looked at the front end lately so I got up under there for a general inspection before I install the shocks tomorrow.

It's actually in pretty good condition. I was thinking of replacing a bunch of crap under there but I may wait.
At least half of my ball joint boots aren't cracking or anything. I only checked one side lol. The tie rods probably need to replaced, the boots are split.

More dogshit from photos from the turd king, sorry guys.

Steering box is way clean, some of the boxes I've seen on here have fared far worse. With my 3-4 inches of steering slop, I'll definitely be following some adjustment procedures.

Took the nose emblem off to wax, broke all 3 clips LOL

It needs another wax and treatment. But look! You can see my street in the reflection on the side!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Hey, in the end, a driving functional bus on the road is worth a million. Turd Polish or not.

Keep up the good work brother. Wink Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
Jump to:
Page 52 of 55

Jump to: