Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Champagne first bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
Osiyo oginalii

'Siyo! Story time!

Well, I declined to drive the bus for all of July and most of August, it had been 100 degrees or more even at 8PM on many, many nights.

I was reversing out of my in-law's place and accidentally bonked my GF's car with the nose of the bus. My first "accident"!

Because the neighbor across the street parks their car directly across from my in-law's driveway, I had to try a two-point turnabout sort of maneuver to get out. Backing straight out would hit the car, and cranking the wheel to pull out at an angle was impossible, my GF's car would get hit. So I had to back out most of the way, crank the wheel, pull forward just a hair, crank the wheel again, back out some more, and then I'd be on my way.

Every thing went to plan until I had to pull forward. The curve of the road caused the van to lurch forward really far, and I couldn't give it enough gas in reverse to get over the hump...and instead rolled forward and crunched into the back of my GF's car. Her car is fine, not a scratch on it.

The bus, however, has a black eye basically. Dented the nose on the outside of the driver's headlight.

Oh well! If you read my thread, about 146 pages ago back in like, 1999 I stated I wanted a banged up bus so I wouldn't worry about denting or scratching it.

After that is when it got hot, and I parked it. I just took it out the other day for the first time in about 8 weeks. Started up with a little convincing and drove pretty nicely. I drove it long enough to make the clacky lifter shut up.

Some things I need to do, off the top of my head, include:

-New tail light housings and lenses
-Fix wiring to sidemarkers
-Replace passenger side middle and rear window seals
-Rekey locks to match the key - passenger door and slider don't match
-Find a front rubber floor mat
-replace all door and lid seals

After THOSE things, I seriously don't know what will be left except maintenance and upkeep.

So I'll move on to my 70 type 3!

Oh, and I've been doing a lot to my 09 Jetta Sportwagen this year. Owned it since 9/2016, it needed a lot of little maintenance items. Love that car, too.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I was just thinking about your T3 the other day and wondered what had become of it! I'm glad to hear it's still on deck.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
I was just thinking about your T3 the other day and wondered what had become of it! I'm glad to hear it's still on deck.

He's going to need it to drive since he completely wrecked the bus.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:

Hey dude! Long time no see!

Yep - fastback is still on deck big time. My action figure art started taking off and I put a LOT of focus on that after buying a house in June 2021...and of course buying a house, plotting a garden, all the crap that comes with home ownership meant I was just driving the bus, and fixing OTHER shit, not the cars lol.

This spring I aim to do quite a bit of work to the T3. Although as we all know, fixing an old VW takes twice as much money and twice as much time as originally planned Razz

@notchboy - yes the bus is completely totalled, couldn't even pull an emblem or a mirror from the twisted wreckage, I had to crush it. Currently shopping around for a 1986 toyota van with a dented driver's side
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:

Yep - fastback is still on deck big time. My action figure art started taking off and I put a LOT of focus on that after buying a house in June 2021...and of course buying a house, plotting a garden, all the crap that comes with home ownership meant I was just driving the bus, and fixing OTHER shit, not the cars lol.

This spring I aim to do quite a bit of work to the T3. Although as we all know, fixing an old VW takes twice as much money and twice as much time as originally planned Razz

@notchboy - yes the bus is completely totalled, couldn't even pull an emblem or a mirror from the twisted wreckage, I had to crush it. Currently shopping around for a 1986 toyota van with a dented driver's side

What the hell Tony? How did I miss your bus getting smashed beyond repair? Glad you are ok. Enjoy the new house.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
secretsubmariner wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:

What the hell Tony? How did I miss your bus getting smashed beyond repair? Glad you are ok. Enjoy the new house.

And it was four months ago. So long I dont remember even how I knew.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

I can't decide if the wreck comment is a joke about it bumping into the girlfriends car and getting a dent, or if the bus really did get smashed to smithereens.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I can't decide if the wreck comment is a joke about it bumping into the girlfriends car and getting a dent, or if the bus really did get smashed to smithereens.

Hey Dave! My bad man. A few posts back I chronicled a slight bump I had with my GF's car. I basically peeled a paint chip off near the driver's side headlight. The smoldering twisted wreckage is a joke FOR SURE. The bus is fine, everything is good!!

Too bad though, the body on that van was just perfect before I had my crazy .002 MPH head on collision with a parked car! ( joke Razz )
1970 Auto Fastback FI
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

Hey Dave! My bad man. A few posts back I chronicled a slight bump I had with my GF's car. I basically peeled a paint chip off near the driver's side headlight. The smoldering twisted wreckage is a joke FOR SURE. The bus is fine, everything is good!!

Too bad though, the body on that van was just perfect before I had my crazy .002 MPH head on collision with a parked car! ( joke Razz )

Whew! Thank goodness!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Wow. I started this thread Jan 2011!

Happy 12th year on the samba to me! And it's almost the bus'ses' 43rd birthday!

Hopefully my rantings, dumb questions, and general blogging has been helpful to some. Quite a wild ride Shocked

Anyway, I jump started the van and took out for an awakening cruise. Definitely going to need a new fat and fancy battery...and I'm gonna do a disconnect switch on the neutral side.

My "awakening" list included these items, for posterity:
Check tire pressure
Check brake fluid level
Inspect vacuum and fuel lines (under the car too)
Check alt belt
Charge battery
Check fuel injection harness and other engine bay wiring
Check functionality of all lights
The only thing I forgot was to put on my new tag sticker, so I was riding dirty for a minute.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm about to start knocking a bunch of little crap out and the list I made a few posts back with window seals and stuff. It's time!

Photo evidence that my van is fine lol. Here's another from my recent type 3 adventures...at the right of the photo you can see the slight vertical dent by the headlight where I bumped my GF's car lol

Anyway thanks for lookin'!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
Wow. I started this thread Jan 2011!

Happy 12th year on the samba to me! And it's almost the bus'ses' 43rd birthday!

Hopefully my rantings, dumb questions, and general blogging has been helpful to some. Quite a wild ride Shocked

Anyway, I jump started the van and took out for an awakening cruise. Definitely going to need a new fat and fancy battery...and I'm gonna do a disconnect switch on the neutral side.

My "awakening" list included these items, for posterity:
Check tire pressure
Check brake fluid level
Inspect vacuum and fuel lines (under the car too)
Check alt belt
Charge battery
Check fuel injection harness and other engine bay wiring
Check functionality of all lights
The only thing I forgot was to put on my new tag sticker, so I was riding dirty for minute.

I'm about to start knocking a bunch of little crap out and the list I made a few posts back with window seals and stuff. It's time!

Photo evidence that my van is fine lol. Here's another from my recent type 3 adventures...at the right of the photo you can see the slight vertical dent by the headlight where I bumped my GF's car lol

Anyway thanks for lookin'!

ᎣᏍᏓ ᏒᎾᎴᎢ - Osda svnalei, Oginalii ! It's good to hear from you again. Učhęnę́·tih né·kti· tiwuhstá·kye kę̀·nęʔ - happy twelve years here!
It is good to know that you also honor your Bus's birthday.
We've all ridden dirty at some point, right?
I hope reviving your Bus goes well.
In my people's language, our word for "Bus" is kaʔteyęhawíhthaʔ, which translates as "it hauls bodies," which seems it could double on as a term for a hearse too! 🤣 Do your people have a word for "bus"?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
Do your people have a word for "bus"?

My peoples origin maybe Laughing

Kombinationskraftwagen (combination motor vehicle), with side windows and removable rear seats, both a passenger and a cargo vehicle combined.

German for Kombi Wink Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

creative native wrote:

ᎣᏍᏓ ᏒᎾᎴᎢ - Osda svnalei, Oginalii ! It's good to hear from you again. Učhęnę́·tih né·kti· tiwuhstá·kye kę̀·nęʔ - happy twelve years here!
In my people's language, our word for "Bus" is kaʔteyęhawíhthaʔ, which translates as "it hauls bodies," which seems it could double on as a term for a hearse too! 🤣 Do your people have a word for "bus"?

ᏏᏲ, good morning! and ᏩᏙ!

LOL "it hauls bodies" is absolutely badass. I do not know the Cherokee word for bus.. the language classes I'm taking online are mostly beginner's stuff like conversational language, names of everyday things like foods, family titles, places and stuff. I did find a couple of sites that list "Cherokee words" but there are a LOT of pretendians online and false Cherokee groups so I don't know if I trust them.

I am also of German lineage through my paternal grandmother, so I'll take kombinationskraftwagen, too lol... although the only german she ever uses anymore is "Du hast eine Fledermaus in deinem glockenturm!" (you have a bat in your belfry - super old timey way of saying "you're crazy!")

So far though, my battery disconnect is doing its job, probably going to take the bus over to Lowe's to grab some stuff for the garden this week.

With all my gardening shiz and my bathroom remodel, and the rainy spring weather, and my mentally taxing day job, I've taken a couple weeks off from the car repairs. Organized all my parts though, so I'll start slapping on some new seals and fixing some wiring and stuff soon.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
creative native wrote:

LOL "it hauls bodies" is absolutely badass. I do not know the Cherokee word for bus.. the language classes I'm taking online are mostly beginner's stuff like conversational language, names of everyday things like foods, family titles, places and stuff. I did find a couple of sites that list "Cherokee words" but there are a LOT of pretendians online and false Cherokee groups so I don't know if I trust them.

I am also of German lineage through my paternal grandmother, so I'll take kombinationskraftwagen, too lol... although the only german she ever uses anymore is "Du hast eine Fledermaus in deinem glockenturm!" (you have a bat in your belfry - super old timey way of saying "you're crazy!")

So far though, my battery disconnect is doing its job, probably going to take the bus over to Lowe's to grab some stuff for the garden this week.

With all my gardening shiz and my bathroom remodel, and the rainy spring weather, and my mentally taxing day job, I've taken a couple weeks off from the car repairs. Organized all my parts though, so I'll start slapping on some new seals and fixing some wiring and stuff soon.

Čwé·ʔn / Siyo, Tony. I understand the pretendian situation well and understand your caution. When I wrote previously, I didn't think to ask a dear friend first about the Cherokee word for "Bus." She is Mvskoke, but was raised in Cherokee, NC with her Cherokee father. She's a fluent Mvskoke speaker, but also knows a lot of Cherokee. I just asked her and she told me that she always heard "Dowalela anikali" as the term used for a bus and she said it means something like "a full sized vehicle." Naká·yè·ʔr haʔ hení·kę· akętirá·theʔ, nyaʔnę̀·ruʔ (I hope that helps you, my friend). By the way, the name we have always called our Cherokee cousins is Uyá·taʔ kęʔ Yuʔwnáhrarę·, meaning "The Cave Dwellers." Ok, on to VW stuff, lest I get geeky with language, culture and history.

Your battery disconnect, does that affect your dash clock (assuming your CEII dash clock hasn't been removed)?

I have always hoped that I could find just a bit of German heritage to connect me further to my love for Volkswagens, but I have none. My ex is German, from Reißkirchen, near Frankfurt and at one point I spoke German very well. It is very cool that you and Notchboy Jason have this cool German word in for "Bus." "Du hast eine Fledermaus in deinem glockenturm!" is FUNNY! I love some of those brilliant German phrases.

I hope your bathroom remodel and garden go along well. As for your mentally taxing day job, keep the good mind & strong heart as best as you can.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

creative native wrote:
secretsubmariner wrote:
creative native wrote:

Čwé·ʔn / Siyo, Tony. I understand the pretendian situation well and understand your caution. When I wrote previously, I didn't think to ask a dear friend first about the Cherokee word for "Bus." She is Mvskoke, but was raised in Cherokee, NC with her Cherokee father. She's a fluent Mvskoke speaker, but also knows a lot of Cherokee. I just asked her and she told me that she always heard "Dowalela anikali" as the term used for a bus and she said it means something like "a full sized vehicle." Naká·yè·ʔr haʔ hení·kę· akętirá·theʔ, nyaʔnę̀·ruʔ (I hope that helps you, my friend). By the way, the name we have always called our Cherokee cousins is Uyá·taʔ kęʔ Yuʔwnáhrarę·, meaning "The Cave Dwellers." Ok, on to VW stuff, lest I get geeky with language, culture and history.

Your battery disconnect, does that affect your dash clock (assuming your CEII dash clock hasn't been removed)?

I have always hoped that I could find just a bit of German heritage to connect me further to my love for Volkswagens, but I have none. My ex is German, from Reißkirchen, near Frankfurt and at one point I spoke German very well. It is very cool that you and Notchboy Jason have this cool German word in for "Bus." "Du hast eine Fledermaus in deinem glockenturm!" is FUNNY! I love some of those brilliant German phrases.

I hope your bathroom remodel and garden go along well. As for your mentally taxing day job, keep the good mind & strong heart as best as you can.

😘🤣

Only language outside of English I could produce. And I thought it apt and or funny that it started with a "K" and was as long as yours.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

creative native wrote:

Hey! Thank you very much for sharing! I got a real kick out of that lol.

Yes, the battery disconnect completely removes the battery from the wiring as far as I can tell. In fact, I think the champagne clock is the very thing that drains the battery when it sits. I only keep it for the cool factor Cool

It's been super handy, doesn't interfere with the normal operation of the car, and now my battery ALWAYS cranks the shit out of the car and it starts right up every time. I love it! Definitely my favorite thing I've done to the car lately.

I found an old rockauto order I placed last year and set it aside when I received it - it includes a couple of wheel bearings and a rear dome light! I'm stoked to get the interior more together as I start to venture out it in more this year. The wheel bearings were a precaution, I get a whirring at speed but I haven't been able to isolate it down to a specific wheel yet. I am going to try to repack the bearings this year if they are good and see if that helps. If not, I'll have a few spares on hand just in case.

I also picked up some red 14 gauge wire and a USB/cigarette lighter combo to mount under the dash up front. It'll be nice to add some creature comforts for spring and summer fun.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Just thought I'd pop in and provide an update

Life is good.

My 09 Jetta Sportwagen threw a belt on the highway when one of the idler pulleys seized up. That was May 17th or so.

So I've dailyed the bus since then. To and from work, to get gas groceries, go to Lowe's, etc. It's been rad. And I've gotten really good at driving it lol.

On June 10th, I decided to sell the van. $4000.00 takes it.

JK! Actually on June 10th I flew to Germany with my girlfriend on the way to Czech Republic. We stayed in Hanover and saw the VW tower there, and then I dragged her to Wolfsburg and I got to see the Stiftung Automuseum Volkswagen where they keep the air-cooled cars. I got to see a Fridolin, and the "syncro" 1978 offroader bus! We also went to the Autostadt and saw the new Porsche, Audi, VW, and Skoda models, as well as the new BUZZ...which I sat in and played around with.

It was a great Euro Vacay and I'll slap up some pictures.

A 1937 Porsche Typ 60 - This was at the Autostadt.

See-through panels on a type 3, way cool!

Schwimmwagen IRL!

Kubelwagen IRL!

Front seats of the off-road 4x4 bay window

Tail pipe on the 4x4 bay. I wanna do this to mine lol

Front gearbox on the 4x4

Rear gearbox on the 4x4

More cockpit views

closeup of the gearbox shifter "EIN">"AUS" One or both!

Fancy Westfalia with that funky front bumper tire cover

Feuerwagen! (My GF thought it said fuhrerwagen and I had to explain the difference) OOF

FRIDOLIN IRL BABY!

And the type 4 with the cutaway sections

Anyway it was a stellar time, I'll upload some more pics probably someday.

On my own van, I'm going to adjust the shifter, replace the remaining window seals, I have a couple of door seals ready to go, and then I'll do an oil change. Other than that, it needs jack shit. Starts right up, takes off, no stuttering, plenty of power. Livin' the dream.
1970 Auto Fastback FI
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

Little Tony is all grown up. New house, a trip to Germany, and a 401k. Propers yo! Always hoping the best for you. Now get that dart out of your mouth Wink
Be well and keep us updated as you do. Applause

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

That Type 4 cutaway makes me feel all warm and fuzzy. Shocked

…but the big front bumper Westy gives me high school dental headgear flashbacks…

Glad you had a dope trip, and glad the bus is still doing what it's meant to do.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Champagne first bus Reply with quote

These really are amazing photos, Tony. I'm glad that you shared them. I'm glad that you and your woman had this great trip together.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55
Jump to:
Page 55 of 55

Jump to: