Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No turn signal or hazard lights!!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggolds5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:19 pm    Post subject: No turn signal or hazard lights!! Reply with quote

My wife said, " you finally own your fantasy, so why are you always stressed out owning it?". That said, I replaced my wiper washer switch on my 76 Bus Westy. Now the emergency flashers and turn signals don't work. The dash light is solid green , and the button of the emergency button is lit and sometimes not. So what's next. I need this to work before going to West River Westies. Any ideas?.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: No turn signal or hazard lights!! Reply with quote

most likely related to something you did, but do you know about the hazard box pop-open troubles? age causes it to open, and all kinds of gremlins come out. dont touch the contacts to metal dash(dis-con battery) and zip tie back together for another 45 years.
ggolds5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: No turn signal or hazard lights!! Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
most likely related to something you did, but do you know about the hazard box pop-open troubles? age causes it to open, and all kinds of gremlins come out. dont touch the contacts to metal dash(dis-con battery) and zip tie back together for another 45 years.

Yes, I twisted myself into a pretzel and used a small compact mirror to view the little box. It appears to be tightly closed. Im sure I did something. I took out the turn signal switche and wiper switch from the steering column and I'm starring at it hoping it will speak to me, what could be wrong after I replaced the wiper switch.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: No turn signal or hazard lights!! Reply with quote

You probably accidently loosened or pulled a wire off the flasher relay when routing around under the dash tracing the washer switch and hoses. Look for any wires just hanging and not connected and if none, check your manual and go through each wire connection from power from the fuse box to the hazaed switch and to the relay to make sure each coonection is seated.

I had a bunch of poor wire connections when I first got the bus and cleaned up and went through every connection and haven't had an issue since.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: No turn signal or hazard lights!! Reply with quote

Sounds like you lost ground. Brown wire on terminal 31
ggolds5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: No turn signal or hazard lights!! Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
You probably accidently loosened or pulled a wire off the flasher relay when routing around under the dash tracing the washer switch and hoses. Look for any wires just hanging and not connected and if none, check your manual and go through each wire connection from power from the fuse box to the hazaed switch and to the relay to make sure each coonection is seated.

I had a bunch of poor wire connections when I first got the bus and cleaned up and went through every connection and haven't had an issue since.

I was SURE thats what I did. However, I can't seem to find the Ahaha moment and find that pulled wire. There is a brown hanging wire, BUT before all this happened that brown wire was still hanging and everything worked fine. So that confuses me more. I totally think I pulled a wire but don't see where I did it. Back under the dash now. Again and again.
ggolds5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: No turn signal or hazard lights!! Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
Sounds like you lost ground. Brown wire on terminal 31
Ok, I have a hanging loose wire. Before you say, schmuck why are you even on here asking about this problem then. Well, its because that hanging brown wire was hanging the day I got the Bus and everything worked just fine. So with that said where do you think I should follow what wire and where exactly?. Thanks.
ggolds5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: No turn signal or hazard lights!! Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:

SO, I called a guy in our CT club. He was great, came over and happened to be really good with electrical issues. He took out the Emergency flasher switch and checked it. It checked out ok, but as you said, was pulling apart. Used a twist tie thingy and still didn't work when put back in. Then He checked the relay. The relay was filled with fluid???. I figured out when I was working with the wiper washer switch, washer fluid squirted out of the washer hose and onto the fuse box dribbling onto the relay. What are the chances!!!!. It shorted out the relay. Even more crazy is that Tom happen to stop at Advanced Auto on the way over to my house and picked up a relay just in case. Man, the universe really lined up on this one. I just think it's crazy how that little bit of fluid happen to leak right where it did. What are the chances! LOL
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: No turn signal or hazard lights!! Reply with quote

Glad you got it figured out. Sometimes our actions cause unforeseen problems.
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: No turn signal or hazard lights!! Reply with quote

I am glad you got it sorted out

Over here in the UK the windscreens leak and fill up the relays..

The brown wire might be meant to earth the windscreen wiper motor as if that is mounted properly it's on rubber grommets for noise reduction so may not earth properly, as designed by VW.
If it's been bolted down without grommets, or the grommets are crushed, the earth wire can fall off and the wipers will still work.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: No turn signal or hazard lights!! Reply with quote

ggolds5 wrote:
Shonandb wrote:

SO, I called a guy in our CT club. He was great, came over and happened to be really good with electrical issues. He took out the Emergency flasher switch and checked it. It checked out ok, but as you said, was pulling apart. Used a twist tie thingy and still didn't work when put back in. Then He checked the relay. The relay was filled with fluid???. I figured out when I was working with the wiper washer switch, washer fluid squirted out of the washer hose and onto the fuse box dribbling onto the relay. What are the chances!!!!. It shorted out the relay. Even more crazy is that Tom happen to stop at Advanced Auto on the way over to my house and picked up a relay just in case. Man, the universe really lined up on this one. I just think it's crazy how that little bit of fluid happen to leak right where it did. What are the chances! LOL

was it wiper fluid for certain? i had a bus that had rust hidden around the windshield that let water in the cabin from sitting in the rain, and ended up soaking a couple relays
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: