Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dinosaur Quarry Trip
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Dinosaur Quarry Trip Reply with quote

A friend of mine asked if I would go with him to visit his son who is doing an internship at the Cleveland Loyd Dinosaur Quarry in Utah's San Rafael Swell. His son suggested we just "ditch it" meaning camping on the ground. I'm going to suggest that instead of driving my friends Mercedes SUV and "ditching it", that we take my Westy and camp in style.
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to drive down that road as I passed it the last couple trips. I am sure I went as a kid but I'll take any excuse to drive in the dirt. Take some pictures if you go!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are there anyway....

be sure to stop in the Museum of the College of Eastern Utah right there in Price. They have the best most complete Utah Raptor I have ever seen.

http://www.castlecountry.com/what_to_do/hall_of_dinosaurs.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove down on Saturday and came back on Sunday. We got a special tour of the quarry sight which isn't all that big, but has produced over 27 Allosaurus skeletons as well as numerous other Dinosaurs.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/price/recreation/quarry.html

A few photos. Unfortunately I could not get the Dino bones and the Van in the same photo.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Camping in the desert near the quarry:

The bad news--discovered when I got home. I lost the nut off the lower rear shock bolt, almost lost the bolt. Chris from VC is sending me a new one. It's been a little over 1000 miles since I did my suspension rebuild--I need to go through and re-torque everything. This is a good reminder!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: