Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Digital Media Receiver Head Unit
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:34 am    Post subject: New Digital Media Receiver Head Unit Reply with quote

It thought it was about time to upgrade the stereo head unit in the Westy after 6+ years.
Back in '08, I installed a pretty nice system at the time: JVC KD-AR560 head unit http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027430&page=3 with a CH-X1500 12 disk CD Changer http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027020.
Most of my music collection at the time was in Mp3 format and this head unit and changer supported Mp3 disks.
The head unit drove 5 1/2" (F) and 6x9" (R) speaker in the doors with the changer on the side wall of the cabinet behind the drivers seat.
I also have a power amp inside the closet and that drives 4 speakers in the back (large bookshelf speaker under the bench seat and smaller ones in the roof cabinet)
But there has always been an issue with the limited depth for the radio because of the heater box. Like most everyone else, I ended up having to fad a 1/2" stand-away to move the whole unit forward.

Well time and technology move forward and new and better units with better features have become available. By 2014 my whole music collection had gone digital and keeping any of it on a physical media (ie: CD) was long gone.

Time to upgrade
I was very intrigued by the new 'Digital Media Receivers': No CD drive (shallower depth so the heater/interference problem solved), support for Bluetooth (wireless!!!) and USB (capacity solved).
I looked at Alpine/Pioneer/Sony/Kenwood/JVC and more.
I ended up on another JVC product: KD-X310BT unit http://mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL029327&pathId=139&page=1 mostly because I've always had good luck with JVD in the past, the USB port is in the front, it has a lot of adjustments controls to the unit built in and the cost was very reasonable (approx $100 delivered)
It supports: android & apple apps, Pandora & iHeart Radio (dont use either), WAV/MP3/WMA/FLAC/iPod & iPhone Audio and still has 4 RCA jacks the back for my power amp.. Below are some pictures of the before and after and differences between the two.

Right now I'm just using a small 8GB USB drive I had laying around but its enough for 75+ albums / 850+ songs but I can see getting a SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32 GB (about $20) in the near future.... tiny enough to easily blend into the unit and tons of space ... Mmmm) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K0F13323

(if anyone is interested in the old head unit and changer, let me know... otherwise it's headed to 'flea-bay')

OLD UNIT IN THE DASH
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OLD UNIT ROOM TO HEATER

DEPTH: OLD vs NEW

BACK: OLD vs NEW

OLD FACE

NEW FACE

NEW UNIT ROOM TO HEATER

NEW UNIT IN DASH

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FNGRUVN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had any luck with JVC stuff. Maybe I was just unlucky and always got the thing that was made on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon. Laughing
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the similar Pioneer MVHX560BT just a couple of weeks ago, for all the same reasons. So far I am very happy with the results.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GS80OQ8/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mostly use my smartphone to play music and I haven't played a CD in the car for a decade. This unit has the aux and usb in the back which I plan to route ash tray in the dash.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
westylife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that same unit in my van and I really like it. I like being able to control the iphone on the head unit.

Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One big plus with a shorter unit is the increased airflow through the amplifier back there. Nobody ever mentions this but for loud music players its a big factor.
greenraVR6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good. I recently installed a newer JVC cd player in my mk3 jetta I just started driving and it's a pretty cool headunit. It has a ton of audio adjustments so you can really dial in the sound how you like it, and it has a bunch of onscreen color options which is pretty sweet. Only complaint is that it doesn't have a dedicated subwoofer RCA pre out
fyrgrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey eebee....still happy with the Pioneer MVH-X560BT? I emailed Crutchfield for suggestions and they suggested to install the MVH-X560BT.

I plan on using my stock speakers for the time being but the receiver instructions say use speakers over 50 W and between 4 and 8 ohms. I am not sure what the stock speakers are....I want to say 35 W? I do know they are 4 ohm speakers.
1985 Vanagon GL 7-passenger van (manual) - "Braunkuh"
1998 Subaru Legacy Outback (auto)
2003 Subaru Legacy L wagon (auto)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eeebee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am still happy with my pioneer.

The handsfree phone works perfectly. Much better than anything else I've tried.

Bluetooth always connects.

The Pandora connection is finicky, I prefer my own play lists on the road but my wife likes Pandora better.

Some of the reviews complained about the unit being to bright but it isn't a problem in the vanagon since the unit is pretty far below the line of sight.

I'm not using stock speakers but nothing fancy though. I'm not sure what they are rated at.

I have no problem recommending it.

1987 Vanagon Wolfsburg Special Edition
GoWesty 2.3

Democracy is the recurrent suspicion that more than half of the people are right more than half of the time.
emagin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New Digital Media Receiver Head Unit Reply with quote

Does anyone have info on how to connect the pinouts of the Pioneer MVH-X560BT ?
I have a 93 EV weekender (sorry to cross post) and my plug dont match to the Pioneer plug. Any suggestions on how to connect these?

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alex Proulx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Digital Media Receiver Head Unit Reply with quote

I have the same. I picked it for the shallow depth primarily but I'm happy with everything else. Hugely customizable. Works well with the iPhone. Good value for the price. The hands free phone works well.
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New Digital Media Receiver Head Unit Reply with quote

Do you folks cut the original connector for wiring or use an GW connector to wire the new units?
Alex Proulx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: New Digital Media Receiver Head Unit Reply with quote

oceanair wrote:
Do you folks cut the original connector for wiring or use an GW connector to wire the new units?

The original connector on my van I believe was removed by thieves (along with the radio) when they yanked it out of the dash a few years back so I had no choice but to splice the van wires directly on the plug provided with the new radio. Wouldn't know how to do it any other ways.
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: New Digital Media Receiver Head Unit Reply with quote

So if i want to run something similar to the OP with 4 rva jack and i want to run two front speakers and two rear speakers. I would need an external amp right? since i don't think you can plug 4 speakers into the receiver.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Digital Media Receiver Head Unit Reply with quote

yiucycle wrote:
So if i want to run something similar to the OP with 4 rva jack and i want to run two front speakers and two rear speakers. I would need an external amp right? since i don't think you can plug 4 speakers into the receiver.

All new head units come with standard wiring harnesses:
Front right speaker (+ and -)
Front left speaker (+ and -)

Rear right speaker (+ and -)
Rear left speaker (+ and -)

Power, switched
Power, constant
Ground

Some include additional wiring for a power antenna, lighting, etc., but they all come with ^that wiring at a minimum. So, no, you don't need an amp if you don't wish to have one.

oceanair wrote:

SonicElectronix.com provides you with a free adapter (if you buy the head unit from them), so most units can be virtually plug-and-play without cutting/splicing the original wires. When I installed the BOSS unit (also without CD) into my van, two wires in the adapter had to be moved because they weren't in the correct position, but it wasn't a big deal.

emagin wrote:
Does anyone have info on how to connect the pinouts of the Pioneer MVH-X560BT?
I have a 93 EV weekender (sorry to cross post) and my plug dont match to the Pioneer plug. Any suggestions on how to connect these?

Thanks

You'll need an adapter. Visit a local car stereo install shop, or http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i2334_wiring-harnesses-stereo-adapters.html .
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scottbott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New Digital Media Receiver Head Unit Reply with quote

I fitted the pioneer MVH-X560BT last weekend and I was well impressed with it,it hooked up straight to the existing VW harness,the digital readout is nice and large and the bluetooth works great,all in all £100 very well spent
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New Digital Media Receiver Head Unit Reply with quote

What's in the ashtray
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Digital Media Receiver Head Unit Reply with quote

Bassyaks wrote:
What's in the ashtray

scangauge for reading data from the ECU since its a OBD2 engine.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New Digital Media Receiver Head Unit Reply with quote

I know I'm getting old, but does anyone make a digital media receiver that fits in the Vanagon and has BIG BUTTONS for my old eyes? It seems the font keep getting smaller and dimmer as technology improves.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New Digital Media Receiver Head Unit Reply with quote

Maybe they're not big, but they're simple. Cheap chinese crap for sure, but it does look vaguely 80s and includes a rear view camera. No joke it took a month to get delivered, "slow boat from chyna" indeed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SWM-7805-1-DIN-Car-Stereo...%7Ciid%3A1
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New Digital Media Receiver Head Unit Reply with quote

I like it, at first glance. If you have it installed, I'd like to see some pics. Are you happy with it? I don't see any station presets.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: