Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

carb questions
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmarino929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: carb questions Reply with quote

Since this forum hasnt let me down yet i wanted to seek some more advice.

I have 74 ghia 1600 and the carb needs to be rebuilt. I love the car stock but would like a bit more power.

Would it make sense now to move to a double (weber or solex..i dont know the diff) carb to give a few more hp? And if I did do something like that would I have to change the exhaust (i currently have a stock).

Everything on my car is stock right now. Or is it not worth it to move from stock cause then i will have to change out other things (like the exhaust, etc). I would love some more power because it still is a bit sluggish at times going up hills but i dont want to foul it up.

If anyone could give me some advice this (even if you dont feel like posting you can pm me) it would be awesome. Im still a noob to all this and if there is a topic on this and i missed it in the search i apologize.

Thanks in advance
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: carb questions Reply with quote

cmarino929 wrote:
Would it make sense now to move to a double (weber or solex..i dont know the diff) carb to give a few more hp? And if I did do something like that would I have to change the exhaust (i currently have a stock).

Everything on my car is stock right now. Or is it not worth it to move from stock cause then i will have to change out other things (like the exhaust, etc). I would love some more power because it still is a bit sluggish at times going up hills but i dont want to foul it up.

Yes, a two barrel would give you a bit more power but you'd need to change the exhaust in order to allow the flow necessary to do this. Don't expect a "tire smoking" difference.

The old adage, "Speed cost money, how fast do you want to go?" really applies here, and without know more about your skill level and budget it's hard to make a suggestion. Chances are the motor will have to come out to change the intake manifold, is this within your skill level?

Good Luck!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read carefully about duals before you buy. The Empi remakes that are common and cheap have poor long-term feedback.
cmarino929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback i appreciate it. Your right about the "tire smoking difference" - the car gets me where i have to go, and its more of a cruiser anyways. I will prob keep it stock and just either rebuild the carb or get a new one.

If i go lookin for a new carb, are there any brands that people swear by? Anything i should stay away from?
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmarino929 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback i appreciate it. Your right about the "tire smoking difference" - the car gets me where i have to go, and its more of a cruiser anyways. I will prob keep it stock and just either rebuild the carb or get a new one.

If i go lookin for a new carb, are there any brands that people swear by? Anything i should stay away from?

Find a decent rebuilt German Solex...avoid "new" EMPI.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Agreed, and that's what I was typing. I was trying to find Keifernet's name to link him as he seems to be a good supplier of rebuilt carbs, type "keifernet" into the member search and PM him.

[email protected]

Good Luck!
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Agreed, and that's what I was typing. I was trying to find Keifernet's name to link him as he seems to be a good supplier of rebuilt carbs, type "keifernet" into the member search and PM him.

[email protected]

Good Luck!

Unfortunately "keifernet" is out of the hobby for a while. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmarino929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will do that - thanks again this is huge!
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Keith (keifernet) is not available for a while you might like to try this Keith: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=632928
cmarino929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated John - thanks
noexit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or rebuild it yourself. Carbs aren't scarey, and these are very simple carbs.
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noexit wrote:
Or rebuild it yourself. Carbs aren't scarey, and these are very simple carbs.

Installing a rebuild kit is easy. Re-bushing the throttle shaft is not as easy. Unfortunately most old solex carbs need the throttle shaft re-bushed.
cmarino929
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I ended up looking in a box of parts I got with the car and found a stock german solex carb in really nice shape, so im going to take the advice and get a rebuild kit. I have 2 solex ones now, i might as well rebuild both of them. Thanks guys.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: