Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield wiper widths for buggies
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:46 pm    Post subject: Windshield wiper widths for buggies Reply with quote

When I hold my Beetle windshield wiper assembly centred on one hole in the body of my Hill Billy Buggy, the assembly is about one inch too narrow to fit in both holes. Anyone know if a Type 3 wiper assembly is similar but wider? Unfortunately the body lines don't leave room for me to simply fill and drill for the narrower Beetle assembly. I could lengthen the frame and linkage one inch but that's a bit of a hassle.
syncrobuggy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper widths for buggies Reply with quote

Hey
Hillbilly's all used the standard beetle assembly. I can dredge out threw the snow later and measure one of mine to give you a measure but I know that I've always used the stock assembly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrobuggy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper widths for buggies Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is one of my Hillbilly's (covered in 2 ft of snow). That's the standard beetle windshield wiper assembly. Just over 15 1/2 inches center to center. The holes are always on wither side of that. Bump in the dash.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper widths for buggies Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics and info. I sent you a friend request on FB as you have (at least a couple of ?) Hill Billy's and live in BC. Is yours fully finished? I've had this body a long time, I want to finish it to at least drivable this year. Go 2023. Dancing
OCD Garage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper widths for buggies Reply with quote

What I came across was that many people used the wiper system from the old style Austin Mini which have a sort of cable drive that runs the wipers with the motor being mounted at the end. I believe that is what my buggy originally had, although by now I'll just re-drill the holes after I fill the old ones.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper widths for buggies Reply with quote

I believe there are 3 different Bug wiper widths.

There is the old oval window size. I think that may be the widest because even with the tiny early wipers the passenger side parked up partway.

Then there is the '58 to '64 wipers. They also uses short flat blades. The arms fit the same size smooth shafts but both the arms and blades are longer.

Newer than any of my Bugs there is the later '65 up wiper assemblies. I suspect they are a different width than the '64-down, but don't know for sure. The '65-up windshield was larger (and slightly curved). My understanding is that there is more than one style of late wiper motor assembly as VW improved the wiper arm attachments.

The thing is, I cannot provide you the widths of any of the 3 systems. I've sold all my Bugs and now only have my Mini-T buggy. It's never been drilled for VW wipers and so far the state doesn't seem to care.
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper widths for buggies Reply with quote

Single speed 6V wiper system here (don't know the year?) - center to center distance of wiper posts is just under 16" (15-15/16").
Jeff
syncrobuggy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield wiper widths for buggies Reply with quote

Every time I drive the wife's Jeep I look at the flat windshield and the wiper system and think hmmmm, maybe there is a better solution here for the buggy...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: