Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1983 air cooled vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRealGreenMachine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: 1983 air cooled vanagon Reply with quote

Does the Airtex e 2000 fuel pump for a ford work on this vehicle 1983 vanagon?
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:14 pm    Post subject: fuel pump Reply with quote

All years of fuel-injected Vanagons, as well as fuel-iinjected buses and Beetles use the same fuel pump. I have learned and since forgot which Ford pump works with the Vanagon, but it's in the archives here and saved in my bookmarks if you really want me to look.

But save yourself some trouble- Rockauto.com has a Python fuel pump with the correct inlet and outlet sizes and spade terminals listed for the Vanagon for $60. You won't fine the Ford pump for much less, if less at all.

And The Bus Depot has the same one by Bosch for $100. I don't see them list a warranty, but other resellers of Bosch have listed a lifetime waranty on Bosch fuel pumps.

If you're looking for a bargain, I'd get the $60 Rock Auto. If you can spend $100 and want a good Bosch, I'd get the Bus Depot one. If you still want to explore the Ford options, search for "alternate Ford fuel pump" to see what comes up, or pm me. Just be mindful that using the Ford may require an adapter on the inlet and/or outlet, depending on which fuel filter and gas tank outlet size you have now.

Ed
Worms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:

Airtex make shit pumps. Google it!

I have had SO much trouble with one I installed in the wifes car, even the last replacement they gave me rumbles like a train - they say it's normal.

The standard one was still dead quiet after 310,000kms, but it just stopped one day Sad

I wish I'd gone genuine, or at least not Airtex!

Allan
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also advise using the Bosch fuel pump as the Airtex turned out to be a waste of money. Not sure about the other brands of pumps mentioned but the Bosch seems to be the best of the bunch.
You cant beat Bus Depots price either.

TRGM....good to hear of another air cooled on the road. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: