Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Ghia Cabrio "Sport" Model Value being tested
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Ghia Cabrio "Sport" Model Value being tested Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
To summarize, back in January of 2011 a 1973 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet "Sport" Model was placed up for auction on eBay to test the value of such a rare limited model.
The final selling price ended up at $8,101.

There were no photos posted in this thread, so I can't say exactly what kind of condition the car was in.

Flash forward almost 9 years later, and I just happened across this ad for a similar 1973 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet "Sport" Model - 1973 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia for sale at RoadSport-USA.com

The current asking price is $29,800, which is quite a bit more than the similar Ghia sold for back in 2011.
Obviously "asking price" and "sold for" price are often two completely different things, but I think this is a pretty representative example of how Karmann Ghia values in general are on the rise

If values continue to rise at this rate, at some point in the near future one may be able to completely restore a Karmann Ghia and not end up "investing" more than the car is worth. Smile

That will be a game changer if and when that happens. Hopefully that will result in more companies producing Ghia specific products and will lead to an improvement in quantity and quality. Right now there are what, two companies producing and one of them seems to do it grudgingly and offer fewer and fewer products over time.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Ghia Cabrio "Sport" Model Value being tested Reply with quote

To summarize, back in January of 2011 a 1973 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet "Sport" Model was placed up for auction on eBay to test the value of such a rare limited model.
The final selling price ended up at $8,101.

There were no photos posted in this thread, so I can't say exactly what kind of condition the car was in.

Flash forward almost 9 years later, and I just happened across this ad for a similar 1973 Karmann Ghia Cabriolet "Sport" Model - 1973 Volkswagen Karmann Ghia for sale at RoadSport-USA.com

The current asking price is $29,800, which is quite a bit more than the similar Ghia sold for back in 2011.
Obviously "asking price" and "sold for" price are often two completely different things, but I think this is a pretty representative example of how Karmann Ghia values in general are on the rise

If values continue to rise at this rate, at some point in the near future one may be able to completely restore a Karmann Ghia and not end up "investing" more than the car is worth. Smile
wolfgang klinkert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Ghia Cabrio "Sport" Model Value being tested Reply with quote

Thank you very much for letting us participate on a document like this. Very Happy

I love getting such information ... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
louigim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Ghia Cabrio "Sport" Model Value being tested Reply with quote

Here is the window sticker from my 1973 Karmann Ghia. It was sold as a Limited Edition Sport Ghia.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
philermonic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't ever see a picture of this actual car or look at it on ebay. Based on the other photo's in this thread - assuming they were representative of the car for sale it sounds like a reasonable and fair price. These were rare Ghia versions, no matter what you personally thought of the style, so if period correct they have a slightly elevated value in respect to other similar condition cars of the period I would think. The DE-Value for me personally would be I might like the car better as a regular looking Ghia, but it seems to compare well just as a piece with other Ghia's of a similar age. I'm kind of a newbie on here, these are just my thoughts.
royalschwarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newtrend wrote:
Car sold for $8,101. Thoughts

It was worth $8,001 to someone. Worth $100 more to someone else. Smile
newtrend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car sold for $8,101. Thoughts
newtrend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

auction ends tonight and already up to 7,600 with 4 hours left so apparently there is interest, BUT how much is for just a decent KG?
newtrend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of pics for the thread for later times so those searching the archive will know what car we are all talking about.

NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good information on this edition.

What was VW thinking? If it was something that would sell why would they be mad? Ghia sales were already in a decline.

It was that type of thinking that contributed to VW losing market share to the Japanese!
newtrend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Russ for clearing that up. Some of us had no doubt. Since you were there back in the day, can you give us an idea of how many you saw come through your dealership? EdW and I are curious about the number of actual cabrios made. We can only come up with four known examples.
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at the dealers during this period.
The Sport Ghia's were NOT a dealer installed option. They were delivered to the dealer that way.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newtrend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the car will be sold to the highest bidder. But the entire purpose of using that format (for me with this car) is to see what the actual market value is for the car rather than guessing. I'm not wanting this to turn into a "sale" thread, but one that raises questions about the "Sport" model and answers a few of the questions raised.
19super73
Hardcore Stock Nazi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we to understand that you put up an ad just to see what a price might be? Are you intending to go through with the sale no matter what the final bid is?
1973 Super Beetle
1973 Westfalia [url=https://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-31892.png]Click to view image[/URL]
1974 412 Variant
1975 La Grande Bug
1984 Vanagon
newtrend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, Cmon' guys, lets keep this civil. If it were not for detractors there would be no need to document ANYTHING! They do us all a favor by forcing out the proof.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EdW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no M-code for this option. VWAG was pissed that VWoA went around their back to get this model produced and has never acknowledged that it even existed. Being the owner of one of these cars, I can guarantee you that this was not installed at the dealer. You would have to dis-assemble half the car just to do this.

Quote:
I would call him a dick, but a dick has a head on it

Last edited by bljones on Today 4:20am; edited 1 time in total
newtrend
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of a "sport" Ghia stripe package decal clearly applied UNDER the rear glass. The amount of labor and potential damage to parts to install something like this at the dealer level seems to render the point moot. Both rear windows, or the convertible top on cabrios, both window seals, both mirrors, both door handles and both headlights, all 12 lower side body trim pieces and the mounting clips and the jack hole covers would have to be removed.

Does anyone have other invoices for a 1973 KG available to see what the base cost would be compared to the invoice here to see what the potential additional price for the "sport" may have been??

Last edited by newtrend on Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not aware of any M code for the option. I still think it was dealer installed and they may have very well called it a Yellow Special. Not that it should matter if it appears on the dealer invoice.

The '73 brochure lists Saturn Yellow as a standard color:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/73ghia/ghia_back.jpg
wolfgang klinkert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newtrend wrote:
I wonder if the "141-1" was an indicator. Otherwise I don't know what the -1 means after the type 141.

Yes - I think so. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: