Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Whitewalls - Firestones or US Royals?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nevada51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject: Whitewalls - Firestones or US Royals? Reply with quote

I'm interested in getting a set of whitewall bias ply tires for a lowlight. I've seen a lot on Firestone's and they do look great but I was hoping to get a smaller whitewall side than the Firestones. I see US Royal has a 2 1/4" WW tire. Anyone had experience with these? Has anyone got any pictures of them mounted?
Thanks in advance.
Cam
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Firestone's and they are standing up quite well. They clean up well with just a very fine light crazing of the white wall that only shows up if you look very closely. The US Royals are cheaper and according to Mike Gregory, (a few years ago) at The House of Ghia aren't as good.

Hopefully he will be along later to confirm this and add some first hand comment.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked out Coker tires?

http://www.cokertire.com/
(o)=!=(o)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: White walls Reply with quote

I purchased these last year for my '71.
They were made in Indiana from old BF Goodrich molds. They have performed great so far. I ordered them from Universal Vintage Tire in Hersey PA

Van

1971 Vert
(o)=!=(o)
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized you asked about bias tires. I would stay away from those. I almost wrecked twice coming down the mountain when I got caught in the rain. I bought radials and couldn't be more pleased.

Van
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(o)=!=(o) wrote:
I just realized you asked about bias tires. I would stay away from those. I almost wrecked twice coming down the mountain when I got caught in the rain. I bought radials and couldn't be more pleased.

Van

It does depend on where you live and what kind of driving you do. Bias ply tyres are no doubt inferior in performance to radials so that fact has to be to the forefront whilst driving in the wet.

Trouble is...bias ply tyres just look right on a Lowlight.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by John Moxon on Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 4 Coker Classic whitewall 165/15 radial tires in April 2011 and I'm very happy with them despite the fact that once I put them on, they highlighted the fact that I needed to renew my steering linkages. Now it drives like a new car.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
sparkleplenty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Stones" for sure... Cool

"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime."

"Only when the tide goes out do you discover who is swimming naked."
retrowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Firestone wide whitewalls on my late '57.

My only complaint was that the whitewall was wider than the original Continental wide whitewalls, by about 1/4".

Never drove the car in rain, so wet weather was not an issue at all Smile
Nevada51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I am aware of the radial vs bias-ply debate, but as John suggest, you can't beat the look of them - form over function Smile.

I think the Firestones seem to be the popular way to go, and they're not much more expensive than the US Royals. Would love to see some pics of the Royals mounted though (I did see some on wheels in the gallery by doing a 'whitewall' search, but would like to see more).

Many years ago I used to drive a 57 chevy as my daily with bias ply tyres... Shocked Turning was a breeze with them compared to radials Smile

Cam
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Whitewalls - Firestones or US Royals? Reply with quote

Looking into lowlight period correct whitewalls as it seems my tires are a bit crusty. John Moxon suggested that I might resurrect this discussion.

Any new insights to share since this thread got buried? As far as that goes, I am not even sure about what size tire and how wide the whitewall should be.

Thanks!
dclaxon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Whitewalls - Firestones or US Royals? Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Looking into lowlight period correct whitewalls as it seems my tires are a bit crusty. John Moxon suggested that I might resurrect this discussion.

Any new insights to share since this thread got buried? As far as that goes, I am not even sure about what size tire and how wide the whitewall should be.

Thanks!

I had to put new tires on my '71 Vert just a few weeks ago, and I saw some 165/15s on one of the on-line tire shops, (I think it was Coker, but don't remember for sure) that they claimed have the look of bias ply.
Dave
laneven28
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Whitewalls - Firestones or US Royals? Reply with quote

I struggled with this decision a few years ago when buying tires for my 56 beetle. I ended up with bias ply US Royals because I thought the whitewall on the Firestones looked too wide, and the US Royal was closer to original. What I didn't know when I bought them was just how poorly bias tires handle. They're terrible, and Ill never buy them again.

I recently bought tires for a 58 bamboo lowlight Im restoring and went with Coker whitewall radials. Haven't drove on them yet, but fingers crossed they handle much better than the bias plys.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1956 Iris Blue Convertible
1958 Pearl White Lowlight KG Convertible
1961 Turkis Ragtop
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Whitewalls - Firestones or US Royals? Reply with quote

dclaxon wrote:
Trylon wrote:

Thanks!

I had to put new tires on my '71 Vert just a few weeks ago, and I saw some 165/15s on one of the on-line tire shops, (I think it was Coker, but don't remember for sure) that they claimed have the look of bias ply.
Dave

Yes, I just found the Coker radials with bias look. Pretty sweet!
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Whitewalls - Firestones or US Royals? Reply with quote

laneven28 wrote:
I struggled with this decision a few years ago when buying tires for my 56 beetle. I ended up with bias ply US Royals because I thought the whitewall on the Firestones looked too wide, and the US Royal was closer to original. What I didn't know when I bought them was just how poorly bias tires handle. They're terrible, and Ill never buy them again.

I recently bought tires for a 58 bamboo lowlight Im restoring and went with Coker whitewall radials. Haven't drove on them yet, but fingers crossed they handle much better than the bias plys.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Your bug and pic look hyper real! Thanks for the info.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: