Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MisterNixon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

I'm looking at purchasing an '82 vanagon with a 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo. I am wondering if anyone knows of any particular concerns with this motor. The seller says it is very reliable. It was rebuilt 2500 miles ago. The engine is slanted with a slant oil pan. A friend cautioned that this could lead to extra vibration and premature engine wear. Anyone have thoughts or experience with something like this?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

An AAZ that has been installed in a quality manner is a big upgrade over any of the stock vanagon engines. There are quite a few AAZ converted vanagons. I don't know what your friend is talking about and don't think he does either. The 50° installation angle was used with I4 diesels in approx. half of all vanagons sold in the world. The AAZ is a good engine. Decent power, fuel economy and reliability. The stock AAZ crankshaft nose/timing sprocket is prone to failure if used un-modified with the serpentine belt system and non-clutched alternator pulley with the result of destroying the engine. Most folks who are into these engines have wised up to that and take appropriate precautions. Listen to self-proclaimed 'experts' who say the stock parts are fine at your own peril.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

Unclear what that even means. The diesel Vanagon has the engine mounted at a slant of 50º in order to fit it under the deck lid. You will note that the gas engine is horizontally opposed (“flat 4”) so it doesn’t need any such angle.

I have the AAZ with 100k miles on it and it runs strong. The only real concerns are what Andrew said.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

I can second that. I'm running an AAZ as well.
Aside from a few teething problems (more mine than the motor!), this thing is rock solid and reliable.
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blink-camper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

Hi - Sorry to add into an older thread, but I am considering test driving an 82 west with an 1.9 AAZ diesel replacement engine. I have seen positive and negative feedback about this engine. Some have said it is still a bit underpowered and can add a lot of vibration to the vehicle, others have said they loved it.

Can anyone provide some insight? I have no experience with the good and bad of Diesel engines. Does the 1.9 AAZ have enough power if installed correctly to cruise at 65-70 on the freeways?
Thanks much.
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

I have a 82 diesel Westfalia with 345,000 miles on it, of which i am responsible for about 300,000 miles of it. I built my own intake and exhaust adapter for a TB02 turbo from a Sunbird GT/Nisson 200sx. I have always run the stock: crank drives the water pump, water pump drives the alternator v-belt setup . Although it eats belts, no other issues. About 100K miles ago I substituted an AAZ style long block.

Mileage with both is 32-34 MPG. Because I could exceed 10PSI boost with my home made head gasket on the 1.6, it actually had more power and torque, but the 1.9 is easier to drive.

Mileage drops off quickly above 60 mph, so I ussually stick to scenic back roads when on trips. It can cruise at 70, but the oil temp starts to climb.

Crazy Roland
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

I can run two-three hours on the Autobahn, at 100-120kph, with no issues.
(62-74mph)
It's a little loud (can sing along with the stereo at '20'), doesn't vibrate too much, and the fuel economy is awesome!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blink-camper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

RolandD and Teamworldtour
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like the AAZ is a reasonable replacement. If I end up test driving it, I will post back here.
Thanks
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

I seem to recall Libby mentioning that the stock AAZ pumps are governed very conservatively, which means there's lots of untapped power available with a pump/intercooler upgrade.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
I seem to recall Libby mentioning that the stock AAZ pumps are governed very conservatively, which means there's lots of untapped power available with a pump/intercooler upgrade.

You can mount a LDA top from a 1.6 TD with the conical LDA, that'll help big time Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
RolandD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

You asked about the engine, but not the transaxle ratios. I do not use the stock 82 diesel transaxle. I will try to report back tomorrow with the code. Fourth gear has been changed also. From memory, 2500 RPM is 55 MPH, and 3000 RPM is 66 MPH.

Crazy Roland
Gizmoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

Another extremely satisfied AAZ owner.
Any Van with an engine swap, assuming it's more HP/torque than stock, should consider the transaxle and gearing.
I'm installing a 5 speed with a .76 5th to keep the RPMs down at 70. An oil cooler for the engine and the transaxle as well takes care of the heat.

It never ends but if you like making things go your way, this is a solid route.
AZs for power, I have a 1.6 IP and a holset turbo - no lack for power once it's set up properly.

Libby had a lot to do in helping me with the upgrades and there are several others here that can assist as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

Bumping this thread for anymore info on this fine diesel.

Once I figured out how to even “start” my AAZ (a good indicator of my diesel expertise:) I’ve been been scouring the forums for AAZ info - lots here, but pretty scattered. I’d love to see a AAZ for Dummies thread much like the transmission one. I’m going to try to keep track of the lessons I’ve learned so far (thank you Team WorldTour, Mark Ward, Gnarlodious and the other knowledgeable AAZ owners that have helped me out) and perhaps start said thread, but I’ve got a ways to go!

I’ve thought about getting a the Passat Bently - as I THINK that’s where my transplanted AAZ came from - but not sure just how informative that $90 is? Are there any good books out there that spell out this specific engine for the novice? With pictures? (no, don’t need a coloring book - perhaps tho, the next step up Smile )

Mark of the AAZ brain...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

A mid-90's Passat or Golf MkIII Bentley is your ticket. Those are what the AAZ came out of.
As far as your 'choke' (as I called it), someone said not to drive with it pulled out.
BS!
I'm not allowed to sit and idle to warm up. After I start I HAVE to drive, or shut it down. My job is a ten minute drive away. Seven of that is with the choke pulled out. That's when the temp needle begins to show it's head. The last three minute include a big hill, and just driving up THAT puts my engine at operating temps. Just don't wind the motor out before the needle hits normal temps. As you learn how to drive this motor, it will get easier to know what 'right' is.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

I'm working on another AAZ conversion now. The AAZ is covered in the Jetta/Golf/Cabrio manual that covers 93- 96/97 years. The 93-99 version has it also along with TDI AHU engines. Those books cover various other engines from those cars so when reading it you have to pay attention to make sure the sub-section you are looking at is for the engine you need info for.

I bought the manual on Ebay slightly used for $40

Mark

Alaskaberrys wrote:
I’ve thought about getting a the Passat Bently - as I THINK that’s where my transplanted AAZ came from - but not sure just how informative that $90 is? Are there any good books out there that spell out this specific engine for the novice? With pictures? (no, don’t need a coloring book - perhaps tho, the next step up Smile )

Mark of the AAZ brain...
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

Don't make the mistake I made. I purchased my manual on CD thinking I always have my laptop for the VCDS software when I travel. Big mistake, get a paper manual. The CD is ok, but laptop battery barely holds a charge any more and nothing like trying to troubleshoot when you have to drag the laptop up, power in the invertor etc. Get the paper back.
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
A mid-90's Passat or Golf MkIII Bentley is your ticket. Those are what the AAZ came out of.
As far as your 'choke' (as I called it), someone said not to drive with it pulled out.
BS!
I'm not allowed to sit and idle to warm up. After I start I HAVE to drive, or shut it down. My job is a ten minute drive away. Seven of that is with the choke pulled out. That's when the temp needle begins to show it's head. The last three minute include a big hill, and just driving up THAT puts my engine at operating temps. Just don't wind the motor out before the needle hits normal temps. As you learn how to drive this motor, it will get easier to know what 'right' is.

Now that I've got almost 126 km on the clock I'm getting a bit of a feel for how it runs, but these do have a bit more of a learning curve to them - at least for me. Still tend to lug it a bit I think on the lower gears.

I've got to rebuild my "choke" as it is as its missing a knob (I assume it had one) and needs to be re-mounted somehow as its just dangling now. Would love to see a picture of good mount for it. It is certainly key in colder weather starting it seems - will fire off right away, but not idle so well with out it pulled.

MarkWard wrote:
Don't make the mistake I made. I purchased my manual on CD thinking I always have my laptop for the VCDS software when I travel. Big mistake, get a paper manual. The CD is ok, but laptop battery barely holds a charge any more and nothing like trying to troubleshoot when you have to drag the laptop up, power in the invertor etc. Get the paper back.

I can relate to that, the paper Bently seems to just look better with oily finger stains then my wife's iPad Rolling Eyes

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I'm working on another AAZ conversion now. The AAZ is covered in the Jetta/Golf/Cabrio manual that covers 93- 96/97 years. The 93-99 version has it also along with TDI AHU engines. Those books cover various other engines from those cars so when reading it you have to pay attention to make sure the sub-section you are looking at is for the engine you need info for.

I bought the manual on Ebay slightly used for $40

Mark

Alaskaberrys wrote:

Mark of the AAZ brain...

Thanks crazyvwvanman, I had looked at the 93-99 version on Amazon but not been able browse a copy to see how informative and/or relevant as was unsure of the actual engines year of manufacture. I think I'll pickup the 93- 96/97 version if thats more specific to the AAZ.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

The 93-96 version covers the AAZ 1.9TD diesel engine (but not the 1Z/AHU TDI). I had the later 93-99 version book on hand but loaned out my earlier version so I couldn't check until today to make sure. The 93-96 version has the AAZ for sure. So does the 93-99 version.

Mark
snwbrdr435
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

Anyone know of a good source for AAZ parts?
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9 turbo diesel AAZ motor with turbo Reply with quote

FleaBay.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: