Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official 50s-60s Front Fender Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 50s-60s Front Fender Thread Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
BBT is if full swing on their 53-59 front fenders. Looks great, wonder what the pricing may be. KF were around $1K a pair and thats where the current rear reproduction ribbed fenders are going for.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://blog.bbt4vw.com/2020/05/15/bbt-news-75/

Soooooo... why don’t they list prices? I too would like to know.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 50s-60s Front Fender Thread Reply with quote

Saw them listed on ebay from a reseller here in germany for about 400 Euro each.

link still visible:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/VW-Kafer-11-52-07-59-Ovali...Swsqhes-t5
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 50s-60s Front Fender Thread Reply with quote

Can anyone help me with this fender ID? I was looking for a ‘61-63 fender and I bought this one thinking it was similar other than the wire tubing but it’s def got the early bottom bulge & bigger headlight bulge. The bucket has what looks like dimples and only one drain hole? OG paint though

"Traveling in a fried-out Kombi
On a hippie trail head full of zombie"
-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 50s-60s Front Fender Thread Reply with quote

possibly an earlier euro fender with turn signal installed later. Check the hole and see if its factory stamped or hole saw. If it has the 2 bolt mount with no large drip boot that is a dead give away.
Smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Official 50s-60s Front Fender Thread Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
possibly an earlier euro fender with turn signal installed later. Check the hole and see if its factory stamped or hole saw. If it has the 2 bolt mount with no large drip boot that is a dead give away.

I think you’re right. The turn signal hole was hole sawed because it’s not clean. It also shows some remnants of a non-VW signal or marker light in that area as well.

"Traveling in a fried-out Kombi
On a hippie trail head full of zombie"
-Men at Work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official 50s-60s Front Fender Thread Reply with quote

This is a great thread to point out the different fenders for the early cars. I recently picked up a nice 67 which I have sworn over the years I would never buy. Embarassed Anyway it is starting to grow on me now that I have dug into it and figured out the different bits and pieces that a lot of the early bugs didnt have, I have been thinking about putting a pair of 66 style front fenders on it as I just cant wrap my head around the upright light setup. If I am reading this thread right it seems an earlier 64-66 type fender would fit, the car has an after market Passenger fender already and the OG Drivers fender has a crease/ fold in it already. Great thread thanks for the info.
pdxeuro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 50s-60s Front Fender Thread Reply with quote

Does anyone know exactly when the ‘59-60 front fenders lost the running board bulge? I have a late May ‘59 bug (Birth certificate says shipped June 10th ‘59. The metal wire tubes are there. I can’t tell if it’s ribbed due to thick undercoating at this time. The bulge seems either quite subtle or not really there compared to pics I’ve seen of others. Thanks in advance
1959 Bug
1977 Westy Bus - sold
1968 Bug - sold
2002 Eurovan - sold
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 50s-60s Front Fender Thread Reply with quote

The old dies were worn out by February and some fenders stamped from them had crinkling around the lip where the bucket was welded in place. These fenders still had the two, side-by-side drain holes in the buckets.

Only the rear fenders had reinforcing ribs between the bolt holes. I assume the ribs went away at about the same time as the running board bulge on the fronts.
63ragtopDud3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official 50s-60s Front Fender Thread Reply with quote

Can anyone with an early 60s tell me the exact width of what the fender is supposed to be? (second bolt above the turn signal hole). My passenger side is nearly an inch off and tends to flare out compared to the drivers side that flares down more. I'm pretty sure the driver's side is from a '59. Thanks!

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official 50s-60s Front Fender Thread Reply with quote

I suspect you have variation due to a fender change through the years. I don't know which one (if either) is original, but that kind of disparity is common with so many different dies used over the years. You may have to go on a sort of scavenger hunt attempting to match those two fenders.

All that said, factoring in parallax (your pics are angling down at the point being measured), it looks like <3/4 inch, which is easily attributed to an aftermarket fender. I just measured 3 fenders, for certain, one is an original 1965 VW fender, they all measure between 12 and 12.5 inches, but it's all subjective because we're dealing with arcs and imprecise datums, and just 1° of difference in the angle of the tape changes the measurement.
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official 50s-60s Front Fender Thread Reply with quote

Alltogehter I posessed three bugs from 1961 and one from 1963, all with their original sets of fender. The measurement had been always 33,5 cm on both sides on them.
Additionally I still keep a left NOS fender in grey primer with VW label. Same measurement. I also have a right fender that is an early aftermarket one in grey primer, its measurement shows 33,0 cm.

I believe, the wheel arch could have been increased with the introduction of the new front axle in 1965, because of the also increased suspension travel.
63ragtopDud3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official 50s-60s Front Fender Thread Reply with quote

@pastellgreen Makes me feel more confident now that my drivers side is probably OG.

@Busstom Yeah, hard to tell a difference by the pics, but that 3/4" of extra space between the fender and tire and is quite noticeable. Especially when lowering the car.

Thanks fellas
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: