Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ongoing search for a SF bay area mechanic
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Ongoing search for a SF bay area mechanic Reply with quote

Ever since we've lost Fred's Garage and Van Café, I've been on a mental band wagon to find someone for us who live up and down the SF Bay Area peninsula. The pressure increased yesterday when I met a guy who drives a 87 Westy which needs some TLC, such as installing new fuel lines, tank vent hoses, etc.

The following is a list I have created. I do not have any actual experience with any of them, so everyone must do their own due diligence:

*Redwood General Tire-Apparently the two ex Fred's employees did not make it over to RGT as of yet, yet the guy on the phone made it sound like they can do almost everything on a Vanagon, less rebuilding gear boxes.

*RWC European - In another thread Miro was recommended so today I called him. He said he does not work on anything older than a 2000, which kicks all of us stock Vanagon owners out of the park. He did recommend his neighbor: Legacy Auto (650) 361-1136. I spoke with Alonso, who seemed very nice.

*Euro Quattro, Mountain View (650) 964-6066. This shop was recommended by another shop (Weiss Enterprise) I use to use but has retired. Spoke with Daniel of Euro Quattro who sounded pretty experienced with Vanagons.

*MB German Car Svc, Santa Clara (408) 985-7696. Very nice guy who owns a Westy himself. Apparently works on a lot of Vanagons.

I hope this very small list can help someone. If anyone decides to use any of the above, please let us know how it goes.

Craig

Craig
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ongoing search for a SF bay area mechanic Reply with quote

I would love to gather all the mechanics I've met over the years here in the Bay Area (Peninsula and Scruz mainly) that have moved on after the shops they worked at closed and put together a top notch shop. If only I never heard about how hard and difficult a business it can be. Someone convince me.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ongoing search for a SF bay area mechanic Reply with quote

I agree totally that having a vintage vw shop somewhere here along the peninsula would be awesome. Heck, I'd come out of retirement.

Craig
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ongoing search for a SF bay area mechanic Reply with quote

If Seattle is any indication it seems like there are paying customers in the market for a shop with a plan that does good work. Peace Vans and Eion’s are always busy and there are other shops who do good work. Kirk at Northwesty also is plenty busy (just outside of Seattle).

These shops are w/in a few miles of each other. Nothing like the light years away the peninsula is from Berkeley.

Peace Vans is taking it to a new level with Vanagon and Metris rentals. Their Metris build outs are looking fancy. They rent a few Bays for local fun, Vanagons and now the Metris.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ongoing search for a SF bay area mechanic Reply with quote

We have California Campers who rent Westy's, who reside less than a block from where Fred's Garage was located. Wonder if they will take advantage of the lack of available service around. Sad to say, I really doubt it.

Craig
davetronic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ongoing search for a SF bay area mechanic Reply with quote

There is Buslab in Berkely. Great shop. Lots of positive experiences. Probably considered the premier shop in the Bay Area to many.

There is also Valley Wagonworks in San Rafael. I used to see them when Paul owned the shop (who used to work with Marco who now owns Buslab) though it's now run by Mike. I've not had work done with them since the transition but always had good experiences before.

Hope that helps.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: