Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tiico Tune up Time: Any High Performance Parts?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Tiico Tune up Time: Any High Performance Parts? Reply with quote

It's time for a tune up in my 1989 Tiico conversion westy; anyone out there have any suggestions for high performance parts, or simple fixes that I could do to coax even a few more hp out of it?

I had heard that besides replacing my SP wires I could also up grade to a high performance coil; does one exist?

Also are there high performance wires and spark plugs out there that you would recommend?

Thanks

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a G-Grind cam and performance exhaust on my 83 GTI that really woke up that engine...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unibagel wrote:
I had a G-Grind cam and performance exhaust on my 83 GTI that really woke up that engine...

Apples and Oranges.

The Tico has a hydraulic head. G-Grinds are solid lifter. Depending on the engine configuration "maybe" a 268 cam "might" help. An adjustable cam gear too, perhaps. But you have to know what that sort of stuff will get you.

Exhaust. LOL. The exhaust is so messed up on an I4 you would have to toss the whole thing and get really creative with tuning. Can't just go to Techtonics and add a 2 inch cat back system, for example. LOL

There are NO simple fixes. A 1.8T would wake it up! Depending on the engine management system maybe there is a chip.

Lots of people say the have a TICO when what they have is some home brew setup and tuning becomes a matter of know EXACTY what setup is int there. *IF* a true TICO, there was a set of parts to wake it up some, but the OP needs to research this to know what to add. Asking questions here is good, but really should "Use the SEARCH."

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask the people at Foreign Auto Supply in Maine. They're the only ones building these engines now. Peter at Van Cafe will sell you the tune up parts.

But the short answer to your question is no, there aren't any easy bolt on performance enhancers.

Don't mess around with "high performance" coils, wires, etc. The ignition is extremely sensitive on these compared to the WBX so not worth it.

yahoo tiico groups is your best internet resource.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of performance cams for VW hydraulic lifter I4's, but that would push your power band higher which I'd think would be undesirable in a Vanagon. All else I can think of would be opening up the intake or exhaust, maybe drop in a K&N filter or something. Or you could get ambitious and put on a small turbo.

-Rob
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with some of these mods on a Tiico is the engine management system. Tiicos are hybrids with many similarities to ABA engines, but the ECU is a Motorola made only in South Africa (where the engines are from.) The MAP sensor is also Tiico-specific, and the throttle body is too though it is very similar to an ABA. Whether these could be made to work with more aggressive cams or turbos, who knows. The folks at FAS were working on a supercharger but I'm not sure where they're at with it.

As much bad press as these engines get, I like mine. Slightly more power than the 2.1, and the higher redline makes it so you can drive 60mph in 3rd, so there's more torque going up the long grades. They idle smoothly and don't have the coolant maintenance requirements of the WBX. You can get most parts at dealers with the exception of the SA-specific ones noted above. Good by me.
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm unfamiliar with the Tiico, but always go with Magnecor wires. They have an extensive website that states over and over again that if their wires give you any extra horsepower, there was simply something wrong with your old wires. They are just a well made and insulated wire, and that's all they've ever claimed. I've just always found the idea of performance wires kind of funny.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Californio wrote:
The problem with some of these mods on a Tiico is the engine management system. Tiicos are hybrids with many similarities to ABA engines, but the ECU is a Motorola made only in South Africa (where the engines are from.) The MAP sensor is also Tiico-specific, and the throttle body is too though it is very similar to an ABA. Whether these could be made to work with more aggressive cams or turbos, who knows. The folks at FAS were working on a supercharger but I'm not sure where they're at with it.

As much bad press as these engines get, I like mine. Slightly more power than the 2.1, and the higher redline makes it so you can drive 60mph in 3rd, so there's more torque going up the long grades. They idle smoothly and don't have the coolant maintenance requirements of the WBX. You can get most parts at dealers with the exception of the SA-specific ones noted above. Good by me.

I've been very pleased with my Tiico conversion as well. I've had it for about 40,000 miles, its been mostly trouble free.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much I4,Tiico info here because they rarely have trouble. Besides we have more class then to bitch about it Cool
VW Vortex has the info your lookin' for.
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another advantage to the Tiico is that, since they aren't sexy anymore, you can pick them up cheap from people who are doing Suby/TDI conversions. I just bought a complete Tiico including exhaust and ECU and harness for $500, ready to pop in when the time comes...
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Now Oranges to Oranges.

Tico management vs Digifant II/Mono Motronic as in 1990 Jetta?

I just know you can not easily chip the Tico where you can get something for common rail Digifant II / Mono Motronic via AMS(???)

Which one is the performance upgrade?

Don't care to much for the even more biased responses over at The 'tex.

So I am trying to stay on topic here, even if it is purely for technical knowledge. (The i4 *IS* the most bestest VAG bolt in conversion out there and I have driven the I4 (various flavors) for millions of miles and more than 3 decades. You can do this type of conversion, almost 100% from inexpensive bone yard parts. But, I went for the sex.....)

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="r39o"]
Don't care to much for the even more biased responses over at The 'tex.
quote]
True, lotas' parrots there, however,lotsa' subaru parrots here.
I only use PM for I4 stuff now. Can't stand the parrots here anymore.
:2gunfire: #Bad Talk
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motronic, not Motorola, my bad.

The ECU is a Motronic 9.0 made for engine code AFX, AFV, AND AFW for SA Golf and Vento, 1992.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not really a performance upgrade technically, I have a Tiico kit that has a burnt wiring harness(minor engine fire, not my van). I plan to run OBD2 motronic from an A3 Jetta on mine, since it is reliable and widely available, plus aftermarket performance chip options. The Jetta throttle body bolts on to the Tiico intake manifold, but I believe it is also necessary to purchase a kit which adds a sensor on the pulley side of the engine to compensate for the crank position sensor, which the ABA has on the flywheel but it is not on the Tiico block.

-Rob
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vortex can have some great info. It also has some misleading info. (like some guys believe that upgrading to a cold air intake helps. It does squat I've heard). It requires some searching but you can find some useful tips. Check out their hybrid section too not just the 2.0 8v forum. That said.....

AFAIK, there aren't any bolt on solutions to wake the 2.0 up. Most of what I've seen is directed at upper RPM's. A long runner SRI might be of some benefit, (I assume there's one available for the counterflow head) but I wonder if there's enough room for it on a counterflow head engine @50* on a Vanagon?

I'm not overly familiar with the Tiico setup but like with any engine, maintenance is key. i.e. I was pretty surprised, and embarrased to find such a dirty air filter in my ABA swap. Embarassed

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: