Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

replica kdf 82e Raising to correct height
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: replica kdf 82e Raising to correct height Reply with quote

Neil, I'm in the process of disassembling my Barndoor spindle / drum assemblies and although I thought I had more than two complete sets ( I bought two link pin bushing conversion sets from you ), I believe I can only confirm one pair from the photos I have of Barndoor originals ( the wheel cylinders have 4 bolts instead of two ). In looking at the photos of your Barndoor spindles, it looks like what I think might be later model Bus spindles. I do not know what the specific differences would be between Barndoor and 1956 and later spindles would be until I can get a close comparison when I finally get them all apart. Do you know for certain that you have Barndoor spindles ? Gene
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: replica kdf 82e Raising to correct height Reply with quote

Yes, mine are BD. Big difference is tie rod casting location. Later bus spindles have tie rod casting down low to align with center pivot on lower beam tube. Only kubel, BD, and country buggy have high tie rod location. There’s some BD to T1 comparison photos in my gallery.
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: replica kdf 82e Raising to correct height Reply with quote

Neil, Thanks for the prompt response, now I know what to look for. I almost have both spindle / drum assemblies apart and will compare my inventory then. Do your Barndoor front brakes have 4 - bolt wheel cylinders ? One set of my supposed drum assemblies have 4 - bolt cyls. and one set have 2 - bolt, which is why I was confused. On a side note, in checking the Barndoor forum, I found that the Bus guys are lowering their front ends doing the reverse of what we are doing, using Typ I link pin assemblies ! Gene
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: replica kdf 82e Raising to correct height Reply with quote

Neil, I may have come across an answer to my confusion over identifying BD spindles compared to post 1955 spindles. According to the BD forum, it appears that 4 - bolt wheel cylinders were replaced with 2 - bolt cyls. sometime in 1954, and your description of the height of the tie rod attach on the spindle casting is right on the money. Thanks for your help and patience. Gene
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: replica kdf 82e Raising to correct height Reply with quote

Yea, I'm pretty sure the set I got came from someone doing the T1 spindle on BD conversion. My set from memory also has 4 bolt backing plates but 2 bolt wheel cylinders mounted on them.
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: replica kdf 82e Raising to correct height Reply with quote

Neil, At this point I'm sure you are aware that the 4 - bolt wheel cyls. are very hard to find, but the 2 - bolt are apparently interchangeable. I have two of each so I'm covered for what I need. BD brake shoes appear to be the same front and rear, but also hard to find. I'm planning to have what I've got relined with bonded. I have had good luck with Apple Hydraulic in NY boring and sleeving badly corroded wheel cyls, master cyls. and lever action shocks. I'm planning to use lever shocks on one of my chassis just to see if I can do it. Regards, Gene
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: replica kdf 82e Raising to correct height Reply with quote

Neil, Since the body work on my project is finally moving ahead pretty fast now, I've started to organize my parts for the chassis. I was told that the Barndoor transmission is narrower by several inches, which would mean the the axle of the '50 to '55 Barndoor is shorter than the '56 and later Typ II, but I don't know by how much. I have a ' 63 Typ II full syncro / tunnel housing transmission that I was going to mate to the barndoor axle housing and RGBs I have, but apparently I will have to find a pair of Barndoor main ( long ) axle. Do you have any idea what the difference in axle lengths is, so I can be sure of what I need ? Thanks, Gene
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: replica kdf 82e Raising to correct height Reply with quote

I don’t think there is a difference in length on the long axles from the barndoor bus era to later 55-67. I used later bus axles in mine without any issue for assembly. Stub axles are for sure smaller. Spline length on the stub axles is similar to short axle type 1s whereas 55-63 stub axle splines are like the later long axle type1s. You could run either in the barndoor axle tubes as long as you run matched pairs.

Between shorter stub axles and narrower mounting flanges, that is probably what someone was referring to when they told you the barndoor unit was narrower by several inches.
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: replica kdf 82e Raising to correct height Reply with quote

I'm sure you are right, the conflicting info I have was making my plans unnecessarily complicated. I'll disassemble my '63 transaxle and start to mock up the Barndoor parts I have to actually see what fits or not. Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me. Would be nice not to have buy a whole Barndoor trans just to get axles I probably don't need. Gene
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: replica kdf 82e Raising to correct height Reply with quote

In comparing the Barndoor ( I was told it was Kublewagen by the seller, I'm going to bead blast it to be sure ) axle housing to the bent Typ 1 housing from my ' 50 standard, it seems axle length was about the same and spring plate attach flange is identical, so I believe you are right on the money about the long axle length being the same 1950 to 1967, especially since you have already put one together. In trying to think it through from what you said about the stub axle being different from Barndoor '50 to '55 vs. '56 to '67, I would have to assume the narrower track of the Barndoor is due to the shorter stub axle and narrower brake drum ? The information I got about the narrower wheel track had to do with a discussion about having the tire under the fender. My original '57 " Off Road Beetle " with a '65 transaxle and 10" rims was WAY outside of the widened Fibreglas fenders. The factory photo I have of the factory prototype Typ 87 posted earlier in this forum shows widened fenders, which I don't plan to replicate.
Phat bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: replica kdf 82e Raising to correct height Reply with quote

We are somewhat lucky in Australia as the Country Buggy from 1968 has reduction boxes and lifted spindles with bus brakes on a link pin bug floorpan. Whilst there was only about 1800 made, the parts do come up for sale from time to time.

We have recently put CB running gear in a 60KG..........

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: replica kdf 82e Raising to correct height Reply with quote

Phat bug, I'm not very familiar with the CB, but I know that it is a very practical chassis for lifting a Beetle ( or Ghia ) pretty much the way the Kubelwagen chassis was designed. One of the alternatives to installing Barndoor spindles and transaxle that I came across after I had already collected the parts for my project was taking a Thing chassis which seems to be very close to the CB chassis with Ghia floor pans, and replace the floor pans with Beetle pans. I believe the early Thing as delivered in Europe had reduction box axles, but the ones delivered to the U.S. market had a CV joint transaxle and fairly decent steering and brakes. Rusted out Things in the U.S. can be found for fairly reasonable prices, and since the pans probably have to be replaced anyway, you can have a lot simpler project to create an Off Road Typ 82E clone than trying to find all the Barndoor parts to convert a Typ I chassis.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: replica kdf 82e Raising to correct height Reply with quote

Yes, as Rhett said we are lucky to have the country buggy in Australia that has all the parts to raise bugs/kgs, basically whatever it will fit in to make it look like a 82e. I’ve done my 57 on Cb gear also, so much better than lowered.

If u want more pics of how it all looks I can provide them also
geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: replica kdf 82e Raising to correct height Reply with quote

D-train, My first " Off Road Beetle "looked similar to yours, but not nearly as cool ! The patina look is something I want to try on my Typ 87 /92 repro but will take some experimenting by the body shop to get it looking natural.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: