Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Planning Trip: Scooby's Easting Down
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Planning Trip: Scooby's Easting Down Reply with quote

Someone else did this so I shall also. I am planning to do a 4 to 5 mth trip June thru September, October 2011. I hope to incorporate some of the Meets. I've just gone thru the Community Lists and didn't find anything helpful as most are West Coast oriented. My ultimate goal is the furthest east shore of Newfoundland. This is a dream wish for me. I am also open for shorter trips in late March, April, May.

I will be stopping for sure to visit a friend in Montreal, then down Vermont, across NH and Maine, N.B., N.S., P.E.I., then back to Cape Breton and ferry to Newfoundland. For the trip back I will either do Labrador and/or Gaspe and ultimately end up in Toronto area again.
Someone from Samba who did the trip two years ago gave me all their maps which I am using some of. I'd really like to meet up with Camping Events, Meets, Vanagoners where ever possible. Because of the length of time I can be really flexible as to when and where I go. Hopefully Syncro d'oest will be happening in Pa in May or early June and I'd take it in. Also meet in Ottawa area> still haven't picked up my TShirt from last year which I missed.

As camping can be quite expensive in Canada, I will of course be looking for some stealth or freebies. I am a senior on a fixed income and as my van is completely self contained and I am very independant, I will be doing the economical way and find it easy to meld into the local environment. I will only be doing select touristy things.

From you all I need the dates and places of events which I will put on a calendar now so I can plan my "crooked" trip. I don't mind meandering but I'm not overly interested in going backwards.

So could you help me out with dates, places, etc. You can post them in this thread or send me a PM. You know that I will be thankful for your help, suggestions, guidance. Once I get used to Scooby, I don't mind going off paved roads. I do it all the time in my car.

For those who find me/my posts irritating you don't need to respond unless you want to add something positive. Wink THANKS ALL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daizee

a few sources for VW events, not all camping but some like ours in NY offer VW camping.Full Moon Bus Club's calendar
Eastcoast VW shows calendar
Central NJ VW club
South East VW event calendar

NC VW Kamp'n foolz
though this is out dated, you may need to research for current dates & locations fo these popular VW camping events.

I can also offer alot of personal experiance and advice for travel down the eastern seaboard, as the VW Sunshine Treffen I planned & executed in 2010 is still fresh in my mind..
We took US rt 17 primarily (once off the Outer banks (OBX) and it was a more relaxed pleasant route. vs interstate.. though took significantly longer.
Must visits are
Assateague seashore maryland (State park has nicer facilities & sprays for bugs, Federal park is cheaper but has 'beach showers' and chemical toilets) this is where wild (well kinda wild) horses wander the islands and salt marshes, right thru your campsite
Greenbelt Parkway campground is right at the US capitols heart.. 2 blocks from the Metro and economical
Skidaway Island just outside of Savannah GA
Edisto Beach South carolina one of the very nicest places, MAKE SURE you get the BEACH loop (sites 8/9/10 are nciely shaded and very near access)
and if you get to FL, Fort Desoto County park campground near St Petersburg (Tampa) is a woncderful campground on sheltered 'keys' though it's not cheap, but it is the cheapest lodging on the Sunshine Coast..
the VW scene down there is very active in the non-summer months.

for my next sunshine treffen (likely in 2015) I'm planning to hit some nice places I'd heard about but missed in 2010.
Hunting Island, SC
Huntington Island State park just outside Myrtle beach and across the street from Brookgreen gardens a huge southern plantation estate

also I'm making a group VW Fall Foliage trip planned for Sept 17-25th thru the NH White mountains. feel free to Pmail me [[email protected]] for additional info if interested

lastly I'm also working on a VW group travel plans for a trip down the St Lawerance, Gaspe, PEI, FUNDY, Cape Breton, Halifax & coastal Maine for 2weeks in july 2012.

I've subscribed to this and will be happy to weigh in as VW Travel is my passion as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the link to the Empire Group http://www.empirevwcamping.org/empirevw/

LiMBO's events page is usually good, but not up yet due to a switch in who will maintian it. I highly recommend LiMBO's West River Westies in Vermont July 15th-17th. Dancing River for tubing runs through the campground, Pot luck supper Sat night, big raffle/silent auction to benefit local hospital. They get a group rate, but it is a private campground, so it's not dirt cheap. However you might make some contacts for free camping elsewhere - just ask them to announce before raffle!

Note that I have enjoyed virtually all the Vermont state parks I have visited. http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/map.htm Camping ~$18-20/night

Camping in the White Mountains of New Hampshire is generally $16-$20/night, but they can fill quickly, at least weekend in the summer. This one is a bit off the common path and, perahps, a bit more likely to be open http://www.campsnh.com/wildwood.htm

Acadia Natianal Park is Maine is highly recommended!!! Blackwoods is the prefered campground and reservations will be necessary in the summer. Seawall on the other side of the island claims to always have space, so that's a great back-up plan in case you want to wing it. They are not that far apart from each other, but Blackwoods is closer to most activities and often allows you to bike or hike right out of the campground and leave the car behind. Bring a bike to ride on the carriage roads!

http://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

I've got more I can share - perhaps by p-mail later this week.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. At this time I am not planning to go down the Eastern Seabord of the US other than that which I mentionned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOOPS, sorry don't know where I got east coast from your 1st post..

for the maritimes you'll want to look for the international Quebec camping car club IWCCC - International Westfalia Camping Car Club

they have a few campouts each year, but you'll want a translater and they do look funny at ASI RIviera's (they're a self proclaimed Westfalia club, with a Winnebago complex) but I had little trouble when I attended a Grande Gathering in Montreal (280+ VW campers)
http://www.westfalia.qc.ca/fr/activites/rendez-vous-a-dejeuners.html

there's a campout near PEI in July.
http://www.vwcircleoffriends.com/this-years-campout.php

and the maritime VW club has an annual show, but they're on facebook (& I am not)
http://www.google.com/search?q=maritime+vw+club

travel safe and enjoy,

Bilbo wrote:
It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan I do plan to check out your schedules and may try to include something. It'd be a lot easier if I could drive straight across Lake Ontario Laughing Depends on timing but for sure I'd like to do the Watkins Glen and teach you guys how to drive Laughing Laughing
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno daizee the bostig guys were out tearing it up in their Turbo Zetec Syncros
and I do wish my brother would get his Audi Turbo 5cyl sorted out. as that'd be a hella lotta fun on the track. but brakes were proving to be a weak point. it's not a flat oval.. it's a road course with a BIG HILL

Link

DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love that song! Looks fun. Are any corners cambered. I'm just wondering why such wide turnings. Yeh I could do that altho I'd prefer dry but I'd take what I could get. Nice interviews too! Thanks
gaff rig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a trip of a life time! I hear you when you say you want to cut your costs yet really connect with real local people.

When in Maine my suggestions are these:
a. Don't bother going to Acadia National Park. Because you are going to Cape Breton and then Newfoundland/Labrador, Acadia is really "small-time" compared to the Canadian venues.
b. When crossing the border into Canada, don't go by way of Calais. Instead, find your way to Lubec, cross the bridge and clear customs on Campobello Island, NB, take the small ferry to Deer Island, NB, then take the ferry from there to Letete, NB. It's a way more interesting and culturally connecting way to get back into your Canadian home!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to keep chiming in, but have to agree, that while I've not been ther e yet. Campobello and the Roosevelt history very much intrigues me. it's the only US national park on non US land, and is staffed by US & Canadian park officers.
http://www.fdr.net/about-park

gaff rig wrote:
This sounds like a trip of a life time! I hear you when you say you want to cut your costs yet really connect with real local people.

When in Maine my suggestions are these:
a. Don't bother going to Acadia National Park. Because you are going to Cape Breton and then Newfoundland/Labrador, Acadia is really "small-time" compared to the Canadian venues.
b. When crossing the border into Canada, don't go by way of Calais. Instead, find your way to Lubec, cross the bridge and clear customs on Campobello Island, NB, take the small ferry to Deer Island, NB, then take the ferry from there to Letete, NB. It's a way more interesting and culturally connecting way to get back into your Canadian home!

Also you can witness the worlds 2nd largest tidal whirlpool. Old Sow
http://bayoffundy.com/about/old-sow-whirlpool/
the stig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When coming to Newfoundland check out VOGN.org for local VW scene - some vanagon guys there, plus if you need asistance wiht parts they are a very helpful bunch andmay also point you to a few hide aways to set up for a night or two. Wink

I'll be heading across the island of Newfoundland in my EV Westy July 18-22 and onwards through NS and PEI the next two weeks returning to the island around Aug4/5.

I'll be driving the Trans Labrador Highway from the ferry at Blanc Sablon all the way to Goose Bay next week and can provide some updates on the condition of that gravel road soon enough.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite sad about it but I'll not be able to do the Maritimes at all now. My bill for this latest is going to be very substantial (converter just paying for used engine and its install) and I'm now in debt. I'll not have much money for 5 or 6 mths so I'll be confined to doing gatherings within a day or two or three drives. I've had to let the dream go or I'd be driving myself crazy (as I was). THANK YOU very much for your info. Hopefully others who are planning an Easting Down will see it and make use of it. Sad but not anything I can do about it. ggggrrrrr but this too will pass! Thanks for your thoughts Cool
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: EASTING DOWN Reply with quote

I resurrected this thread as I am FINALLY planning an Easting Down! Plan to leave the Toronto area +/- June 26 and spend that weekend south of Montreal at friends. June 30th should see me on the road. Tentative plans to stop in Saguenay area and then Rimouski (if I can get myself invited Smile ), then around Gaspe, thru N.B., PEI and N.S. where I hope to arrive at the big gathering down at Graves Point PP.

Have the info for N.S. PP's, now I need addy for PEI, and N.B.. Looking for free +/or stealth camping +/or invites for overnighters. I don't have any info on Quebec which I know calls their PP National Parks as opposed to Canada's National and PP system.

I'm looking at 2 full mths of travelling. Alas I won't be getting to N&L due to very high ferry costs. I'm also looking at getting more than my share of lobster, crabs and other seafood Very Happy

So if you have info and/or space let me know. Surprised At this time the only thing that may prevent this trip if someone offers me cash in hand for the van, otherwise going to put my miles on and see parts of eastern Canada. Last year was a nothing year so going to make it up this year.

Due to health insurance issues I will not be going into the US of A at all this year.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your vehicle has the same rates as a car for the ferry to NFland. Are you sure you can't spring for that? It's the best part!

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll see how far my $$$ go as N&L is a dream.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch the St lawrence seaway north shore to Saguenay, they got some mighty steep hills up that way.

travel and enjoy.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing the south shore going east for sure. Have lined up 2 stops so far. I expect some mountains on south shore due to Eastern Townships, VT, etc.... Scooby can handle them. Any more offers for along the way. Have to be at gathering in N.S. July 23 or 24, otherwise I have no itinery except that I don't much like double backing when going forward. Save some stuff for trip back.

Need more places to stay in N.B., and PEI. I'm going to look up some old sailing friends who moved to Mahone Bay 30 years ago!.
billgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have land at he ns border which is available for free camping for vw friends, no services but lots of room . I will also be at graves island , as well the weekend before is the circle of friends in st. andrews nb . Pm me if you want directions for the free camping .
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: info Reply with quote

Quebec parks are Sepaq.com. Like I mentioned in the PM...costly but really nice!

If you travel up to Mont Joli the drive through Matapedia Valley is nice. But if you drive that far you should go right around Gapse Peninsula! That's a really nice loop!

There is a nice PP in Campbellton NB, Sugarloaf Park. In Dalhousie NB there is the Inch Aaron municipal campground that is a busy little spot all summer but sweet view of the Bay de Chaleur.

Kouchibouquac National Park is really nice as well but Fundy National is one of my Favs! Just go to both!

See ya in July!

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK have more places to go. Yes I am going all the way around the Gaspe peninsula. Interested in hearing more about Circle of Friends in NB.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: