Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaky refrigerator combustion chamber, near disaster
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ibuprofen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Leaky refrigerator combustion chamber, near disaster Reply with quote

Last summer while on a 2 week off grid camping trip I returned to my bus from a hike to hear the fridge trying to auto ignite without success. I wasn't able to light the fridge for any prolonged amount of time and gave up. As I prep for another 2 week trip without electricity I pulled out the fridge to find what appears to be a close call.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks like the gasket failed and the heat/flame escaped.

Surprised Surprised Surprised

I don't see the fridge combustion chamber gaskets at the usual online retailers so it looks like I get to cut a fresh one from a gasket sheet. Does anyone know what a good type of gasket would be for this application? I see loads of gasket material on Amazon.

Add this to the list of ways to burn down a Vanagon?
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky refrigerator combustion chamber, near disaster Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Good move on the checking! And posting that. Thank you!

Surprised the flame was that big. Weak ignitor perhaps? May have allowed to build up a bunch of gas that now had access to more air when it finally ignited? Think

I believe I used some high temp silicone on my last rebuild as the gasket was no longer viable in any form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ibuprofen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky refrigerator combustion chamber, near disaster Reply with quote

At first glance I had assumed the burned area was one episode, and had forgotten that there was definitely a warning sign. When driving on the highway we started noticing a sort of melted plastic smell which would subside when the fridge was switched from propane to 12V mode. In hindsight I should have not brushed this off but am thankful for the luck we had and also whatever materials that westfalia used.

I think what was occurring was that the heat/flame was being pushed out of the combustion chamber while driving at higher speeds. The stove no longer working during camping may have just been coincidence/rust build up/dirt/etc. This definitely makes me wonder how much more likely a failure of the gasket is when there is a crack or some failure combined with driving and no vent cover. I used to have a plastic vent cover but it only lasted a year before the sun destroyed it.

It seems the lesson is that if you smell a melty plastic and it correlates with the fridge, stop using the fridge and remove it and inspect it. d'oh!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky refrigerator combustion chamber, near disaster Reply with quote

Wow, Congrats on averting a free ride into orbit. Lucky.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky refrigerator combustion chamber, near disaster Reply with quote

Absolutely nothing to worry about, the Dometics never light. Very Happy

But seriously glad it didn’t burn.

I gave Dometics a chance for 15+ years and am happy I replaced it with a TF49 which is keeping ice frozen and meat and dairy safe during this week’s 95 degree temps in Idaho.

I vote for considering an alternative to repair and support your choice to do what you want with your van.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaky refrigerator combustion chamber, near disaster Reply with quote

Please don't dare say "ice cream," I beg of you.

— Colin Chapman
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Leaky refrigerator combustion chamber, near disaster Reply with quote

that gasket looks brittle.

If a back fire occurred when lighting the fridge, maybe that caused the gasket to blow out? Then over time, heat escaping from that opening where gasket is missing caused the burn at cabinet? Anyhow.... doesn't really matter I guess. Just curious.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Leaky refrigerator combustion chamber, near disaster Reply with quote

next time i have to do the gasket on my fridge i'm making one out of a silicone baking sheet. seems like the perfect material. high temp silicone gasket maker should also work but will make repairs/cleaning of the chamber more time consuming.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Leaky refrigerator combustion chamber, near disaster Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
next time i have to do the gasket on my fridge i'm making one out of a silicone baking sheet. seems like the perfect material. high temp silicone gasket maker should also work but will make repairs/cleaning of the chamber more time consuming.

I used red rtv sealant and found it held up well. I picked that idea up from the Vanagon email list so I know other folks have done the same. No doubt it added to the "fun" of maintenance. Wink

The baking sheet sounds interesting. On my fridges, I found that the screw holes on the cover were sometimes a little deformed so I'd wonder if the baking sheet would conform to any inconsistencies like that? The cover plate metal is relatively soft.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: