Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Relays for passenger side power window
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:24 am    Post subject: Relays for passenger side power window Reply with quote

I posted a brief description in the " What you have done " topic and was requested to do a more descriptive posting and here it is.

I always wonder why the passenger side window is slower than the driver side when actuated. So I cleaned all the connectors and put in new switches but the window is still slower. I measured the voltage of the motor at the switch of the passenger side and found there are only 7V or so when the power window is actuated ( even lower when pushing up as higher current is drawn ). I measure the voltage drop across each of the connector and found they are about 0.2V. I think the drop is most likely due to the age of the crimp of the wires. It seems not too big a drop but when I counted the number of connectors for the passenger window, I have a shock. For the 12V line, it has to pass through 7 connector contacts plus two switch contacts. The ground return has to pass through 6 connector contacts plus two switch contacts if you operate the passenger side window from the driver door. So if each contact drop 0.2V, the total drop will be 3.4V, not counting the voltage drop in the wire and the 30A thermo fuse.
I added two relays on the passenger side just before the connector to the door and run a new 12V line from the window relay to the new relays and a new ground near the relays. The driver door switch only operates the relays and the passenger door switch gets its 12V directly ( through the relays ) and not through the driver door switches. Now I get over 10V at the motor when operating and the window now moves much better.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I happen to have the right 3-pin connectors for the job. If you can not find the right connector, just cut the wires and connect the relays. An added bonus is the passenger window switch at the driver door will never go bad.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job!
PDX_Greg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great information. I have the same situation with my passenger window. Any idea where i can find the right relays to complete this job? Are they some kind of generic relay that I can find somewhere like radio shack or such?
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of these:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m5...;_from=R40

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
PDX_Greg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Steve. I completed this upgrade today and I couldn't be happier. I now have two fully functional power windows. No more having to "help" the passenger window up. Exclamation
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: