Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

16'' Syncro Fender Flare Questions?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
derekdrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make sense of the first picture below, you have to know that you are looking directly from the floor up toward the ceiling at the rear edge of the front fenderwell. It also helps to zoom the picture in close enough that you can see that you are looking at the fender flare on the left and a gigantic cavity (the wheelwell cavity). There are various colors up to the roof of the cavity (black, red, blackish, greysih) but these are all way up on the ceiling, and these colors don't denote anyting except, in aggregate, the ceiling of the cavity.

The purpose of showing you the picture is to illustrate that the leading edge of the black fender flare, and the wheelwell metal, converge at the same point, which is the wall of the wheelwell coming down. In other words, along its lower edge, the wheel cannot contact the fender flare because it would contact the wheelwell lower edge first, which is co-incident in position to the bottom of the flare and the wheelwell metal.

The second picture is shot from the side of the van. The fender flare pictured there coming down is the rearward edge of the front wheel flare set. The second picture is meant to illustrate the same thing, that if you are going for the most flexibility, you might want to mount the rear front flare so that its bottom front edge is along the same plane as the rear vertical face of the wheelwell cavity. That way, the flare cannot be the limiting factor in how big a tire you can put on, and cannot be a limiting factor in keeping you from trying winter traction toys and see if any of them will work without hitting.

Anyone reading this who has 16" OEM flares must go out and immediately rip them off and remount them like this or be condemmed to have your eyes blink open in the middle of the night wondering if you want to do it this way.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
Well, since there aren't such things as Syncro 16 wheel arch replacement panels....cut away.

FYI, if you don't open the arches to the max when using 30.5" tires, stuff will get BenT at full suspension compression Wink

Of course, there are Syncro 16" wheel arch replacement panels. For you vannerds on this side of the big pond, they are called 'Vanagon wheels arch replacement panels'. Dokafolk & Singlecabbers... well you can figure out the rest. Twisted Evil

You think I want to get the BenT Syncro out in the dirt? You must be insanecro! My baby rusts away happily in front of the house. Wink
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take one for each corner...where do I order them from?
kiomon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: List of options Reply with quote

So I am reviving this thread to be sure I have the latest information. From what I gather if I want 16" Fender flares, I can order from

Busman.de ~$600 shipped to US and in fiber glass
Van Cafe ~ $1450 shipped to US and they are black OEM

And there really isn't a template to get them fitted, more cut and test fit? I have tha right? Any options that aren't listed?[/list]
Silentbay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericos_bob wrote:
Here's a reply I got asking about fitment of large tires from russel at syncro nutz. The guys have done some extreme modifications to syncros and put them to the test offroad.

235 85 16 will need 16 arches removed(cant reinstall because they are too small) custom arches then made. You will need seikle springs even with these at full compression on front the wheel will rub top of front arches.Front arches need to be made longer front and back and out riggers need total modifications(you have to lose the jacking point(this applies to bothe tire sizes when done properly) You will also need trailing arm mods.
Brakes will also need uprating.
This is a long and extensive jod and applys to a 16 syncro cant be done to a 14 unless using 16 parts.
Russel

I actually touched my front wheel arches (the front and rear edges) today with the 30x9.5x15 tires while doing some more extreme offroading. This would suggest even a 16" syncro running a 30x9.5x15 can hit under hard compression at the front and 245/75/16 would obviously rub much worse under the same circumstances. Just something to think about. For people who only ever go soft roading or green laning I guess tires larger than a 30x9.5 or similar can work ok. For everyone else you're going to have to go further than just 16" flares, a 2" lift and extended trailing arms to solve clearance issues.

Fitting larger tires would only really achieve taller gearing and looks factor. Ground clearance even with huge 235/85/16 tires is only a 1 inch gain for all the cutting and grinding and I doubt there would be a noticeable improvement in offroad performance with the extra weight of larger tires combined with a taller G-gear wouldn't help.

What about 7.50 r16 tires on syncro 16? They should be much narrower (but still tall)..would u still have to modify the trail arms? What about the arch trimming? anybody knows?

thanks a lot
Simmo
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerraWagen Dudes Exclamation
Surfy Murphy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Terrawagen videos make it look like the front flares attach to the door rather than the wheel well. Is that the way the original Syncro 16 flares attached? Anyone know?
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfy Murphy wrote:
The Terrawagen videos make it look like the front flares attach to the door rather than the wheel well. Is that the way the original Syncro 16 flares attached? Anyone know?

Yes. The terrawagen flares mounts to the door, just like all the original VW flares, including syncro 16, Tristar syncro and even 2wd postal flares. (Although Ive seen the latter incorrectly mounted to the fender)
Surfy Murphy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may seem like a dumb question, but if I trim the back side of my wheel wells, will the terra wagen flares fit?? I emailed them but didn't hear back.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it. It is best to ask on their thread since they don't make syncro 16 style flares. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=537163&start=440
Surfy Murphy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks syncrodoka, guess I'll just hack them off as artistically as I can. I'm not sure I want to spend over $1000 on fender flares. I noticed dasmule has them chopped with no flares and it looks pretty good with bedliner on it.
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our flare kit is intended for the stock 14" wheel opening. We attach the flares to your van using the inside lip of the wheel arch and self tapping screws.
If you remove the wheel arch, you will not be able to attach the flares as intended.

The cost of the OEM 16" flares seems to be the number one complaint. We could easily make them, but would most likely have to charge more due to having to add brackets and additional hardware. You also would be responsible for cutting your Syncro which some people don't want to do.

Just an FYI, the front edge of the door sections is still going to be the problem spot with oversize tires. Whether you have 14" flares or 16" flares.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:
Our flare kit is intended for the stock 14" wheel opening. We attach the flares to your van using the inside lip of the wheel arch and self tapping screws.
If you remove the wheel arch, you will not be able to attach the flares as intended.

The cost of the OEM 16" flares seems to be the number one complaint. We could easily make them, but would most likely have to charge more due to having to add brackets and additional hardware. You also would be responsible for cutting your Syncro which some people don't want to do.

Just an FYI, the front edge of the door sections is still going to be the problem spot with oversize tires. Whether you have 14" flares or 16" flares.

Are you saying the cost of reproduction Syncro 16 flares would exceed $900+ people want for the VW ones......I would think some could be made and marketed for under $500 a pair with enough demand. I need a pair!
I'm Cheap! I'll build that Syncro Westy myself and save money but, my labor is "FREE" especially if I ever go to sell it! One thing is I will know the quality of the parts and labor that went into the build and rest better when I'm actually driving said Westy down the road!
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would think some could be made and marketed for under $500 a pair with enough demand

You nailed it. Enough demand is the issue. We found when making the 14" version, you will need to sell a lot of flares to pay for the molds. I would say the break even point is around 100-125 units. I have commitments from about 15 people for 16" flares.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:
Quote:
I would think some could be made and marketed for under $500 a pair with enough demand

You nailed it. Enough demand is the issue. We found when making the 14" version, you will need to sell a lot of flares to pay for the molds. I would say the break even point is around 100-125 units. I have commitments from about 15 people for 16" flares.

So is that a definitive NO?
What about the five piece spoiler?

If they aren't going to happen, knowing would be appreciated.

Thanks.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristar Eric wrote:
Quote:

I see the point.

I was definitely in that somewhat smallish Group that would have bought a set in the 500$ a pair range. However when a set of used genuine 16 inch arches came up for sale, I grabbed them.

Since VW is still making the original arches for about 2000$ a set, I think you could sell repro arches for 500$ a pair (1000$ for the set) But if even that price gives a break even of 100 sets, I see the challenge.
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying we won't do them in the future, we just a have a ton of products that we're working on right now.
One of the ideas was to do a pocket flare kit, meaning a flare that looks completely different from OEM. As you know the hard part is the amount of space behind the slider door when it's opened. I'll post the design pics when we get there. Oh, and yes, the spoiler parts are on the list.

Eric
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ready for Syncro 16 rear flares in the $400 neighborhood how many firm commitments do you need to proceed?
I'm Cheap! I'll build that Syncro Westy myself and save money but, my labor is "FREE" especially if I ever go to sell it! One thing is I will know the quality of the parts and labor that went into the build and rest better when I'm actually driving said Westy down the road!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zeohsix wrote:
I'm ready for Syncro 16 rear flares in the $400 neighborhood how many firm commitments do you need to proceed?

Wrong neighborhood?
Why would you expect them to be less than the 14" version they sell Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: