Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Design Deficiencies
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

I'm starting this so only Syncro specific things will go in the other thread.

magazine articles were quite laudatory when the Vanagon was first introduced, prasing the road feel, handling, and luxurious nature (compared to domestic full size vans - min-vas did not exist then)

one problem noted was that suspension articulation was worse than the older Bus

another was that it was very underpowered since it used the Bus motor but weighed more

the Vanagon also seems to have a lot of wind noise (and that is noted on the comparison thread with the Toyota van)
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, the Vanagon is an amazing piece of engineering. It still stands out that way 33 years after its debut. I don't consider things like the wind noise to be a design deficiency because if you want the kind of interior volume a Vanagon has in a 179.9" long vehicle it has to be upright, and that means a flat front that displaces a lot of air.

Even though I love the vehicle, I can think of many design details that were less than brilliant though.

1. The brittle plastic fuel spigot positioned perfectly over the starter and battery cable.

2. The battery box cover made from conductive steel that sits only a few millimeters from the two battery posts and relies on the plastic battery safety cover and the black paint on the lid to insulate things.

3. The wasserboxer water jacket seal design that is extremely prone to contact corrosion.

4. The many feet of panel joints/seams throughout the body that become rust prone on salt belt vans.

There are others, but I'll stop and let others share theirs. I do think at some point it will be time for a "Vanagon Design Successes" thread because these vans really do represent an incredible piece of engineering. There wouldn't be so many of us driving them as daily drivers 30 years later if that wasn't the case.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its incredibly non-intuitive heating and fresh air controls.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hidden windshield wiper fluid container, non-lit headlight switch, underpowered, not offering Escorial green in later models, putting the heater fan in a inacessable area.

Last edited by syncrodoka on Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keane wrote:
Its incredibly non-intuitive heating and fresh air controls.

Laughing X2... This was the first vehicle I've ever had to actually research how to operate the controls.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

randywebb wrote:

magazine articles were quite laudatory when the Vanagon was first introduced, prasing the road feel, handling, and luxurious nature (compared to domestic full size vans - min-vas did not exist then)

another was that it was very underpowered since it used the Bus motor but weighed more

the Vanagon also seems to have a lot of wind noise (and that is noted on the comparison thread with the Toyota van)

Who are you and why are you here?

It was 1980

The speed limit was 55 mph

Carter was president

Chevy was still producing the "Chevette'

Cordless phones were non existint

Microwaves were a concept

The "Bug" was still avilable as a leftover

Design Deficiences? Really?

We are all here 31 years later enjoying them.

Can't live in the past man. If anything they are ahead of there time.
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my light switch is illuminated.
underpowered? well to todays 75+ MPH highways.
as designed for a 55mph highway they do quite well. and at decent MPGs.

all I'd say is that they shoulda skipped the aircooled option, but admittedly weren't ready with the manufacturing. and IMO shoulda gone the Inline 4 (and Inline 5) route as watercooled vans.

as for the heater fan, man I hear alot of whining on that topic here all the time. but I can assure you you do NOT want to have to R&R anything from the 85+ models in VW or any other MFG.

syncrodoka wrote:
Hidden windshield wiper fluid container, non-lit headlight switch, underpowered, not offering Escorial green in later models, putting the heater fan in a inacessable area.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
as for the heater fan, man I hear alot of whining on that topic here all the time.

I just threw that in there. Wink Ripping apart the van doesn't scare me.
A better gripe is trying to adjust the clutch master cylinder free pedal play.

Quote:
my light switch is illuminated.

So is mine, but VW didn't do that for us it is a mod.
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:
randywebb wrote:

Who are you and why are you here?

It was 1980

The speed limit was 55 mph

Carter was president

Chevy was still producing the "Chevette'

Cordless phones were non existint

The "Bug" was still avilable as a leftover

Design Deficiences? Really?

We are all here 31 years later enjoying them.

Can't live in the past man. If anything they are ahead of there time.

I gotta go with Mike on this one... (Even though he was doing his cruzin' on a Big Wheel when the Vanagon was introduced.) Laughing
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

turbotransporter wrote:

I gotta go with Mike on this one... (Even though he was doing his cruzin' on a Big Wheel when the Vanagon was introduced.) Laughing

Funny one of my first really vivid memories is watching the ball drop for 1980 new years. Yup 37 years old this June. I had the coolest big wheel.

Big bumpers, over sized tires, big brakes, regeared tranny, hi power lights. Youn know the rest of the story...
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems there are a lot of people judging the Vanagon by today's standards.
Those of us who love our mid-'80s Vanagons for what they are, are still happy with them. Remember that at the time, the heaters were a vast improvement over the old air-cooled heaters, the defrosters actually worked, and even the windshield wipers worked better than any of the old VW wipers.

The biggest complaint I had back when mine was new was the suspension that allowed me to get blown all over the road when I had a canoe on top. I fixed it at the time with KYB shocks, heavy duty sway bars from JC Whitney, and 27 8.50 14 Bridgstone Duellers.

A Toyota it's not. If I had wanted a Toyota Van I would have bought one, but in 1985 the Toyota was tiny, and you had to move the front seat to get to the engine, and mid 80's Toyotas rusted every bit as bad as any Vanagon.
turbotransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

turbotransporter wrote:

Funny one of my first really vivid memories is watching the ball drop for 1980 new years. Yup 37 years old this June. I had the coolest big wheel.

Big bumpers, over sized tires, big brakes, regeared tranny, hi power lights. Youn know the rest of the story...

Yeah, Dude. I know. Chicks... Lots of chicks. Wink
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suspension and tire size are my only gripes. Oh, and heater controls, but not so much. In 1985, my mother sold her '73 bay window, and got a brand new tin-top Vanagon. Grey, with a sunroof. In 1992, I learned how to drive in that van! In 1996, she traded it in for a '91 GL. The last one made. We still have it. We love it. I love my '85 Westy. The ONLY reson I'm doing an engine swap is for better fuel economy in these high fuel price days.

Power? Speed? Glory?
A Jedi craves none of these.....
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Domo wrote:

Power? Speed? Glory?
A Jedi craves none of these.....

Very Happy Brilliant!

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
Inlet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a very simple machine, and would be better enjoyed if it was smog exempt.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inlet wrote:
Its a very simple machine, and would be better enjoyed if it was smog exempt.

Some of them are. Some sill have a 9 year wait....

Or you could convert....
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
Jteerlink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For as much as I loved my past two bay windows, I will never go back! Maybe only for the looks, but it ends there. IMO VW finally addressed many issues that were lacking in the bus generations.

But, I would have to say that the captain seat swivel base should have been standard and pop-out side windows in the rear could have easily been done.
thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw hung it out to make the vanagon happen--they didnt even have an engine when it got approved in 79-- they werent going to use the same pancake engine if they could help it--and emissions just wouldnt let them--the chrysler caravan was debuted in 83 with the k car. so they had a 3 year jump in a niche market. they used the same style brakes as on the type 3 and karmann ghia, when fords and chevys had vented power discs since 1971.
our vannys predate cell phones too. only kirk had one. I likje mikes stance on this one, but the upper front bushings are still junk. [and the fuel tank seal system]
comparing her to a bay will help--
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our first 1984 Vanagon Westfalia was worlds apart from the 1977 Type 2 Westfalia it replaced. There was HEAT and so the kids did not turn blue in the winter. The steering and stability was a vast improvement. The engine was so much easier to work on (look Ma, no tin shrouding!) and the WBX power was so welcomed.
Comfort was so good in fact that it was BECAUSE of how nice the Vanagon was that we did extensive family travels. Never would have done that in the old Bay window.
DISLIKES?
Why does the driver’s door have to slam to shut? Who forgot to design a fill tube for the overflow tank behind the rear license plate? On the Camper: Why do I have to swivel the seat and move it back to get at the battery? And I have never liked the hook up flaps because it prevents using the car wash..
Technology and expectations have changed the auto industry since the Vanagon left North America. The Windstar drives way nicer and oh so quiet. Yet nothing can compare to the “feel” of the Vanagon Westfalia Camper. It makes me want to escape!
For videos of that Westy, click the you tube link below.
Cheers,
Jeffery

Last edited by plummerdesign on Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

Microwaves ovens have been around since shortly after WWII. The engineers at Wolfsburg were likely using one to reheat their coffee while they sketched out the first design concepts for the Vanagon.

I consider the Vanagon to be a modern vehicle. My 91 is newer than any other vehicle style I have ever owned by a decade and a half.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: