Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Design Deficiencies
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the post above about the aftermarket parts raises a valid issue, and reminded me pf the:

alternator bracket
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

running the fuel feed over the top of the headers is a bad one

much worse than the Hot Foot
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=237271
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
... the idle relay behind the left tail light. It lives in a dark damp debris filled home!
What "Genius" determined that spot was great for an unprotected electrical relay?!?!? Shocked

I actually relocated mine when I redid my engine area.

It now resides warm and dry in water proof plastic box mounted in the area of PS fluid reservoir.

My relay itself was badly corroded and took a fair amount of effort to clean not only the contacts but the surface of the printed circuit board too.

Dave
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

I sold a 1967 Double Cab and started looking for a nicer Vanagon - a keeper. I ended up getting a 1990 Doka and I love it! Thing is, there are some pretty interesting comparisons which I will mention in a separate paragraph.

In the '67 Double Cab, Wife and I took trips - one, at Christmas time from the San Diego area to Gardiner, Mt. 1,100 miles. We could travel between 60 and 65mph at 20mpg. Heater (lack of) was a real issue in the snow in Yellowstone and on the open highway.

In the '90 Doka, trips go like this: 60-65mph at 16-17mpg. The heater is fantastic in all conditions encountered so far.........have not been in snow but several long trips.

I find the fuel mileage (stock 2.1 boxer engine) to be dismal. But, I L-O-V-E this Doka I have.

Chuey
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

Chuey wrote:
In the '90 Doka, trips go like this: 60-65mph at 16-17mpg. The heater is fantastic in all conditions encountered so far.........have not been in snow but several long trips.

Wow. Shocked to hear such dismal mpg in a stock WBX Doka. Are you sure your engine is in good shape? I thought you should see low 20s at 60-65mph.
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Chuey wrote:

Wow. Shocked to hear such dismal mpg in a stock WBX Doka. Are you sure your engine is in good shape? I thought you should see low 20s at 60-65mph.

Not to be a smart ass, but what have you been reading? Most if not all VW Vanagons get dismal mpg.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

My first Vanagon regularly got 30mpg. Diesel

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

Michael4104 wrote:
ThankYouJerry wrote:
Chuey wrote:

Not to be a smart ass, but what have you been reading? Most if not all VW Vanagons get dismal mpg.

I occasionally get 20 mpg in my Vanagon, but 16 to 18 is average. It may be dismal, but my Dodge 2500 Hemi gets about 11mpg with my Four Wheel camper on it. Everything is relative. I don't think 16 to 18 isn't bad for a camper.
The Vanagon weighs a lot more than your '67 Double Cab.

Last edited by Love My Westy on Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
High rear load floor does not affect me (camping) but isn't the best for a utility van.

Similarly, Cab Forward design has its ups & downs...

Critical though to the experience. Without cab forward and rear engine, its not a bus, just a soulless van and just like every Odyssey or Caravan on the road. More importantly, probably a third of the footprint is the nose on those vans. Too much to sacrifice to vet a lower deckheight IMO.

Bus iste best.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf

Last edited by nemobuscaptain on Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

"VW took the pre-WWII air-cooled motor design and stuck some water jackets around the cylinders in a futile effort to save money. VW should have re-engineered the motor, and might have come up with something like the Subaru 4 cylinder."
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

The WBX would have been cutting edge if it had debuted in '68 along with the Bays. The T3 should've had its own inline four and five cylinder plants, specially tuned to produce torque low in the rpm range like the WBX. Flat engines are dead ends, and were an utter waste of R&D investments, given that they started and ended with the T3.

y u rune klassik?
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
"VW took the pre-WWII air-cooled motor design and stuck some water jackets around the cylinders in a futile effort to save money. VW should have re-engineered the motor, and might have come up with something like the Subaru 4 cylinder."

Hmm!

Replace VW with Porsche and 4 with 6? There are a lot of parallel of how 911 engineers stuck to their inferior rear engine RWD configuration that flies in the face of sound engineering. There is no question the rarely taken path is cheap or easy, or without heavy penalties.

Developing an engine is a major investment for any auto maker, even for one of the world's biggest. Today often an engine is developed and licensed to many competitors.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

I'll take a wbx any day over a normally aspirated inline 4 VW engine.

So much hate for the wbx, yet most Vanagons are still going strong 30 years later with original engines. Laughing

Let's remember what 4 cylinder engines VW had available in 1983.
1.7lt rabbit engine, 1.8lt GTI? um no thanks....

Agreed an Audi 5 cylinder would make a very nice powerplant!
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

I'm sure it has been posted before but I need to vent: The stupid heating/vent design! No way to stop air flow when moving, wtf. Only able to change the temp of the air coming in from ambient to hotter than ambient.
This becomes more of a problem with camping. A head-on breeze or gust can quickly drop the cabin temperature when cold weather camping.

-d
91 Westy (Only the top 12 inches of this van (a burn victim))
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

If levers 3 & 4 are closed, the dashboard vents are closed, and the vents in door panels are closed, how does cold air get in while parked. How does the displaced warm air get out?

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

Gruppe B wrote:
I'll take a wbx any day over a normally aspirated inline 4 VW engine.

So much hate for the wbx, yet most Vanagons are still going strong 30 years later with original engines. Laughing

Let's remember what 4 cylinder engines VW had available in 1983.
1.7lt rabbit engine, 1.8lt GTI? um no thanks....

Agreed an Audi 5 cylinder would make a very nice powerplant!

I deliberately waited until dusk yesterday to went for a leisurely drive, and I was smiling the whole way of how smooth and quiet the WBX drove, thru the deserted boulevards hitting green lights for miles on end. The WBX purred all the way with so much finesse and quiet elegance. I was considering taking some video for posterity, but a video would not have done justice.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

"The connecting rods are the same as type-1 on the big end -
If a type-1 rod fatigues after 250,000 miles, would it not happen twice as fast in the 2.1?"
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

My van still has a WBX, after twelve years, even though I specifically bought the thing in order to do an engine swap. The WBX is a good engine. It's not great, and it's not lousy, but just good, reliable and rugged. However, it's still a deadend design that produced no spillover benefits to the rest of the corporate product line at the time or in the future. That's plain just not good R&D expenditure--period. I'd take a solid WBX over any offbrand lump the hucksters here are shilling on a daily basis, but it's still not preferable to a 1.8t or TDI, which are both better suited to these heavy slab-sided beasts.

y u rune klassik?
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

From Wikipedia with a pretty good history of the Porsche 911, which also bring back my memory that the 928 was the vehicle that were supposed to take the company into the future, back in 1979:

------------------------------------------------------
In 1979, Porsche had made plans to replace the 911 with their new 928. Sales of the 911 remained so strong however, that Porsche revised its strategy and decided to inject new life into the 911 editions. 911 SC sales totaled 58,914 cars.[13]

Peter W. Schutz (CEO Porsche AG 1981–1987) wrote:

The decision to keep the 911 in the product line occurred one afternoon in the office of Dr. Helmuth Bott de:Helmuth Bott, the Porsche operating board member responsible for all engineering and development. I noticed a chart on the wall of Professor Bott's office. It depicted the ongoing development schedules for the three primary Porsche product lines: 944, 928 and 911. Two of them stretched far into the future, but the 911 program stopped at the end of 1981. I remember rising from my chair, walking over to the chart, taking a black marker pen, and extending the 911 program bar clean off the chart. I am sure I heard a silent cheer from Professor Bott, and I knew I had done the right thing. The Porsche 911, the company icon, had been saved, and I believe the company was saved with it.

------------------------------------------------------

I also remember now the inline 4 engine used in the 924 was a VW engine developed for a light truck based on the then gen 1 Gulf chassis?. No thanks! I will take the WBX any day.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Design Deficiencies Reply with quote

I think the original 924 engine was an NSU/Audi block. The 928 was a nightmare to service...but none of that has anything to do with the Vanagon

y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: