Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bump soaking 101
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
XLR8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: bump soaking 101 Reply with quote

my ride is pretty hard. (yes more simple boring questions, sorry)
mostly due to it being set up for street use by PO.
i know i need to replace my front shocks for starters as they are stiff as buggery. but i flogged some stock shocks from my sisters super ( Twisted Evil ) and the rear still feels really stiff. both front and rear have had the stock torsion pre-load increased and i know this dosent help my predicament.

but will a nice set of them bilistens people are talking about really help a lot?

my friends subaru BRAT (called brumby here) has much softer suspension even though his is 100% stock and increased pre-load.
just cant work out what i need to do short of getting new torsion bars and leaves with a lower spring rate which i dont wanna do.

do bilisten make rebound only shocks? my old nissan vanette had rebound only shocks on the front. so the bound wasnt dampened but the rebound was. is that a good idea if it were possible?

"Mate, everything's user serviceable."
larryvance66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got any pics of your current ride heights? Apic of the spring plate location would help to advise you. Is your front tube greased and clean. Sometimes they get sticky causing a hard ride. The back may be indexed too high also resulting in a harsh ride. Get some pics and we'll see what we can do.
XLR8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so the front beam may need a bit more grease but it looked pretty good when i had the leaves out, can always re-grease though.

rear ride height on leaves about a 1/4 inch gap between spring plate and stock lower bump stop, yeah i know not much down travel and i plan to fix that when i get some new CV's to allow spring plate cutting.
but could that be the main source of my problem?

i'll get some pics if you still want them once i figure out how to upload to thesamba gallery (rather than using photobucket like i'm told not to do Wink )

perrib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been out with JWH Racing and he uses Fox class 11 shocks and they soak up the bumps quite well. Be conservative when you cut the spring plate as the shock becomes the limiter for downward travel and T-1 cvs will bind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JWHracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perrib wrote:
I have been out with JWH Racing and he uses Fox class 11 shocks and they soak up the bumps quite well. Be conservative when you cut the spring plate as the shock becomes the limiter for downward travel and T-1 cvs will bind.

i'll correct perri just slightly. yeah they're fox's, but they're 8.5" travel shocks. my car is super stiff on the street, but, put me on a dirt road at 40-60mph, and it rides like a Cadillac. if you set the car up too soft, it will bottom out over every bump, and you definitely don't want that.

2021 STORR Pro Air Cooled Buggy Champion
2019 AZOP Unlimited Buggy Champion
2017 SADR 1300 Class Champion
2016 AZOP Limited Buggy Champion

Currently "retired" from racing
perrib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification. I just knew it was very smooth and stable at speed. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have a baja, just a fiberglass buggy, but my experience has been that much of a rough ride is due to over inflated tires, or tires with very stiff side walls, in fact, the flexing of the tires sidewall becomes part of the suspension. My buggy is pretty light, about 1600 lbs, so this might not apply to a heavier vehicle. I believe that the original stock VW front shocks were just rebound dampening.
tanner_122
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw on mythbusters the faster u drive the smoother the ride Twisted Evil Laughing
XLR8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw that one too. but how often do you see people rock crawl and mud bog at 40mph Laughing
i went out and greased my front beam and put back in the castor spacers and the front beam creaking noise went away Cool also did some articulation tests etc and the ride is only bumpy when going faster than 10mph over speed humps.
i remember in my superbug with stock shocks i hit the speed humps at about 30mph and it'd just soak them up in comparison to my std bug.
even dropping off the curb is a little rough.

perrib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanner_122 wrote:
I saw on mythbusters the faster u drive the smoother the ride Twisted Evil Laughing

Been there done it with a swing axle car it beats you to get up to speed, once you skimming over the whoops it is great and the real fun begins when you slow down as that is twice as rough as getting on top. Smile The only real way to get the Cadillac ride is with long travel coil overs.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: