Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine: Rebuild or buy new - CPR?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
teamasr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:14 pm    Post subject: Engine: Rebuild or buy new - CPR? Reply with quote

I am doing a full resto on a bus I picked up and want to address the motor before the body work is done.

I have no idea what size the motor is or how many miles it has, but prior to taking it out, it ran STRONG, lots of power. Aside from a little oil leak from the pan, all else looks good.

Question: Should I have the engine tore down and replace gaskets, seals and other minor parts or take everything off and have CPR build a new motor using only the dual case? CPR motor will run me $3k+ with Webers using only the case. Any estimates on what a tare down and rebuild using many existing parts will cost?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

norcalmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it ran strong, i say seal it up and run it. if it aint broke.......
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

norcalmike wrote:
if it ran strong, i say seal it up and run it. if it aint broke.......

X2! Cool

What's CPR? I thought it was Crazy Puerto Rican!?! Confused
spanky324
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say move the THREE fuel filters!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could cost you less than $200.00 in bearings, seals, and gaskets, etc., if everything else is in good shape or $3,000.00 if all is not well in there and you decide to go all out in rebuilding it into a monster HP engine.

Personally would tear it down and go through it. That way you know how good or bad the engine is and have more trust you can get back home from a long trip.
teamasr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly it, I want maximum reliability for long trips. I've thought about getting into the motor, but you guys know how that goes, once you open it up, you end up adding this and that to the change list and next thing you know you were better off to get a new one.
Is another option to sell this motor complete and go with CPR? What is it worth? any ideas?

Also, if I were to buy a rebuild kit, I need t know the size of this motor, what is the easiest way to do that?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not be sucked in by any kit. For you do not know what size P&Cs were used which for bigger sizes requires the case and head openings to be bored out bigger diameter or how many cut have been done to case or crankshaft, or how good or bad is the thrust! Plus there are several different sized of cam gears, and installing wrong size can result in having cam gear come off in less than 50 miles... Only way to figure out piston and crank stroke is to remove at least one head and measure.

Other way you should consider is to just keep the engine you have for a around town back up. Then get a core engine (or all new parts) and build it to the way you need for better MPG, or more torque, or higher HP and revving drag racing engine.
Added bonus with this is when you find another VW needing an upright engine that you want to rescue. You already have a spare engine!
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I heard, CPR had a good reputation. It's no GEX build. If it were my engine and it had the right endplay, good compression and.....hopefully the hoses coming off the fan shroud were hooked up, I would run it. I am very picky with a used motor. Rarely would I trust one that someone else has built. How many miles on it? Do you have paperwork/reciepts that it is a CPR engine?

Edit: oops I thought you said CPR built this thing. Embarassed Tear down and inspect away!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EODinert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the runner, buy a new motor with your 3K. It's good to have a plan B.
teamasr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much power are Solix 40's good for? Maybe I recycle some parts off this motor to lower cost and keep the heads and case as a "rainy day" back up?

The ideal situation for me would be to find a motor that has already been built for someone else who did not make the final payment and I pick it up for a discount. I asked Anibal of Chico, no such luck.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the engine they are installed on and the entire assemblage of parts used. Plus RPMs you run make a big difference of HP output.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: