Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tachometer SCORE! 86 Scirocco 8k Tach!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
plysaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Tachometer SCORE! 86 Scirocco 8k Tach! Reply with quote

So I need a Tach. My ASI is a lowly L, with a actual, working analog clock. This is not my style. I need a tach.

$160 for later cluster. Meh.

PicknPull Score! Period correct VDO Tach 8k! woot!

I've check the few posts about sliding one of these in. thanks for that, those posts are what inspired me.

please chime in on what it will take to carefully slide my clock and fuel and Temp out, and slide this bad-boy in. Sorry for the fnuzzy pic.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8k tach- score! I have a 7k that i yanked out of a jetta and i prefer it over the stock one.
There are a bunch of 8mm nuts on the back of the tach assembly that need to be removed from behind the blue cluster ribbon. The gas and temp gauge are bolted in with those nuts. There are 4 screws that hold the tach assembly to the cluster assembly.
You need to carefully pry the plastic catch that holds the plug from the ribbon to the tach with a small tool just enough to pull the plug out with another small pick tool.
It is a simple procedure once you get into it. Be very careful with the blue instrument ribbon.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have conversions or something? The wbx cuts fuel at 5500 so anything above that is pointless IMO. I just replaced my 91 cluster in order to get my oil warning system back in order(someone made a mess of it). I got a way better deal than 160 on mine.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a conversion that spins over 6k. The kaboom section of the tach for the WBX is meaningless to me and i like how it matches the speedo better.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be a little gap at the bottom....no big deal.

The conversion is as simple as it gets.

Take the old tach away from the rear plastic.

Do the same for you new tach.

Put new tach in old plastic.

DONE....

I like my 7K tach, too...

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a diesel Jetta tach into my cluster, same procedure... as stated above, the brass nuts on the back get attached to the ribbon cable. The biggest thing here is to work carefully and slowly, this stuff is brittle. Don't overtighten the mount screws, and be very careful putting the big contact plug back onto the ribbon, the traces tend to peel off the blue plastic.

Have a tube of superglue, and a tube of 2-part plastic weld epoxy on hand to deal with any breakage you might experience.

I also painted my needles with bright orange paint, makes them more visible. Smile

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a slight gap at the bottom because it is flat at the bottom not rounded like the vanagon tach. It is not really noticeable and if it ever bothers me I can have a new one printed up but I really dislike that vendors typically print their business name on the face.
If I could get my mitts on a 8K tach at the junkyard I would pick it up. Smile
plysaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I am cool with the gap, I am just stoked to not have to spend BIG $$$ to buy a 84 wolfie tach ( If I could get one.)

1. I have a clock, no resident tach. Still carefully remove, plug and play?

2. I'm a BOSTIG BROTHER. 5k is my special tourquey spot, I'm told.

3. I got the Tach Mod from Bostig, but have read this will actually work without.

I was sad for the RED 86 'rocco she was a beauty, and a dream car of mine at one time. I and when they bring the NEW scirocco to the states I will be trading in my grey GTI for one ASAP.

SO BAD

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/scirocco/home
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'sd not going to be plug and play at all if you don't have am OEM tach.
1st you'll need to know if your harness has a tach signal wire run to the front dash or you'll have to run a new one.
2nd the white plastic of the housing doesn't fit the vanagon housing. you'll have to source a vanagon tach black housing (to be plug n play) or you'll have to get creative mounting your white tach to the vanagon housing.
3rd never mind what they said with the blue ribbon cable. it won't have the connections to service a tach. the clock only needed 12v.
was your cluster a H2o or aircooled van to begin with? if H2o then you'll be ok with the coolant gauge voltage (5v) if was aircooled and you are also adding a coolant gauge you'll need to supply that with a regulated 5v power source.

personally i see little use for RPMs above 5k. the engine begins to loose power there anyways.. then my butt tells me to shift.
I like the smaller scale, wider display of the lower RPM tach.. but I only run a jetta I4 w/6k redline anyways.

it's like I prefer my 85mph speedo vs the 100mph or greater speedos..
I have alot of sweep for regular driving speeds there's space from 30 to 35 to 40 mph for those sensative small towns... and 85mph+ well i don't need a speedo to tell me anything then anyways..

but to each they're own.. just wanted to chime in it's not going to be plug and play and you will need to have plastic repair and solder materials on hand for the upgrade.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plysaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and your right. this thing is not plug and play Sad

looks like the ribbon will go over the white tach but the coolent is in wrong spot.

looks like I need a 88+ cluster after all. unless anyone has any ideas?

[/img]
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a complete tach cluster from 84+ Vanagon. The 7K tach will fit then.

Mark

plysaker wrote:
and your right. this thing is not plug and play Sad

looks like the ribbon will go over the white tach but the coolent is in wrong spot.

looks like I need a 88+ cluster after all. unless anyone has any ideas?

plysaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya. xcept ppl ask freaking 400 bucks for them, shoot!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you located? The asking prices of tach clusters have gone up but you can find one for a lot less than that. You can transfer your existing speedo to it and thus can buy one without a speedo if you find one available with it removed.

Mark

plysaker wrote:
plysaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seattle. yes, I can buy one that is totally non-op. prefer that, at this point. my conversion has run out of funding.
Bercilak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plysaker wrote:

I obviously need to start hitting the junkyards again, since the last one I sold was about $80. I saw them (2 years ago maybe, but it will be no different now) around 1 p/2 mo. or so.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: