Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who still has their 1 owner bought new by them Split Bus?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Who still has their 1 owner bought new by them Split Bus? Reply with quote

Nice to see this thread still active and great stories!
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
rennie wrote:
Curious about the different license plates in 1967? And what happened to the antenna?
Ya, weird that the bus is wearing one plate in one pic... then another plate just eight digits away.
It's not owned by anybody in this thread... so, I doubt we'll know anything more about the antenna... besides that is was removed.

The antenna was removed during the restoration. I have no idea on the plate differences. Might have to do with needing to get new plates every year back then or the plates were on the wrong vehicles in their fleet of service trucks.

The owner (kkroll) is on the thread but does not hit Samba regularly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kkrol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Who still has their 1 owner bought new by them Split Bus? Reply with quote

Toolbox is correct. The radio antenna was removed during restoration. It was not original to the truck. In fact I recall installing it myself. I decided that since it was not original to the truck, it had to go. The radio was removed and the radio delete plate was also reinstalled.

The license plates are different because the pictures were taken in two different years (1967 and 1968, I believe). Back in those days, you bought new plates every year. Those plates are probably still hanging in the garage where the bus is stored. I'll check.
KombiMadness
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Who still has their 1 owner bought new by them Split Bus? Reply with quote

Tmiller3 wrote:
My father-in-law (on the far right) bought the bus brand-new in 1962. Traded an MGA in for it. It's been in the family ever-since.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a photo of he and I last year at a local car show. He is so proud to point to old pictures of he and the bus and tell everyone who wants to listen all the stories he has about it. Very Happy

Looking at those two photos and reading about your Father-in-Law got me all choked up - that is pretty special!
Tell him I'd be happy to listen to his old stories, all day long. Old(er) people don't get enough respect.....
WideFive
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Who still has their 1 owner bought new by them Split Bus? Reply with quote

kkrol wrote:
The license plates are different because the pictures were taken in two different years (1967 and 1968, I believe). Back in those days, you bought new plates every year. Those plates are probably still hanging in the garage where the bus is stored. I'll check.

New plates every year and the number corresponded to your house address. That's what I was told anyhow, for a Wayne County at least. You move in '67/'68?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kkrol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Who still has their 1 owner bought new by them Split Bus? Reply with quote

KombiMadness wrote:
Tmiller3 wrote:
My father-in-law (on the far right) bought the bus brand-new in 1962. Traded an MGA in for it. It's been in the family ever-since.

This is a photo of he and I last year at a local car show. He is so proud to point to old pictures of he and the bus and tell everyone who wants to listen all the stories he has about it. Very Happy

Looking at those two photos and reading about your Father-in-Law got me all choked up - that is pretty special!

Tell him I'd be happy to listen to his old stories, all day long. Old(er) people don't get enough respect.....

Great looking delux. Love that Mouse Grey/Pearl White combination.
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Who still has their 1 owner bought new by them Split Bus? Reply with quote

I'm the 4th owner. However, the records for the bus are amazing. For the first 80,000 or so miles the owner (aero space engineer) logged every tank of gas, quart of oil, windshield wipers and every other cost.

The next owner kept very good records and the father/son combo who I bought it from kept receipts.

Perhaps most interesting is the original cost: $3076.07 with tax, licence.

dgsaz
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Who still has their 1 owner bought new by them Split Bus? Reply with quote

Here's how the records were kept. Engineer.............

I like the prices.

dgsaz

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Who still has their 1 owner bought new by them Split Bus? Reply with quote

27.9' cents a gallon

$6.00 for a wheel alignment

LOL!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Who still has their 1 owner bought new by them Split Bus? Reply with quote

On 3-19-66 it looks like he ran out of gas and had to buy a gas can.

Been there a few times... Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hokie87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Who still has their 1 owner bought new by them Split Bus? Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:

I love how at 343 and 348 miles he's already doing maintenance work. Makes me happy to know they were the same when new. Very Happy
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Who still has their 1 owner bought new by them Split Bus? Reply with quote

Hokie87 wrote:
dgsaz wrote:

I love how at 343 and 348 miles he's already doing maintenance work. Makes me happy to know they were the same when new. Very Happy

Valve stems at 343? That seems weird...

348 I wonder if he hit something and jacked up the alignment.

I want to see more stuff! What else is breaking at such low mileage? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Who still has their 1 owner bought new by them Split Bus? Reply with quote

I wonder if he bitched about the poor quality of German parts....

Very Happy
kkrol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Who still has their 1 owner bought new by them Split Bus? Reply with quote

Below are some of the original service documents that came with the SC. I wish I had the original sales invoice but I do remember handing the salesman dads check for $2340.00. I believe the Ruby Red paint was included for an extra $100.00.

This picture was taken around 1995 after I drove the bus out the building where it was it was stored after it retired from the business in the early eighties.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Who still has their 1 owner bought new by them Split Bus? Reply with quote

kkrol wrote:
Below are some of the original service documents that came with the SC. I wish I had the original sales invoice but I do remember handing the salesman dads check for $2340.00. I believe the Ruby Red paint was included for an extra $100.00.

Cool stuff.

I wonder why Ruby Red would cost more, it was a factory stock color...
plane_ben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Who still has their 1 owner bought new by them Split Bus? Reply with quote

^^^I'm thinking because red requires a lot of pigments. More expensive ingredients.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Who still has their 1 owner bought new by them Split Bus? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
kkrol wrote:

Cool stuff.

I wonder why Ruby Red would cost more, it was a factory stock color...

It was the year Helen Reddy wrote "Ruby Red Dress' although it didn't hit until 1973.

OK, I made that up.

Nice call on the 'running out of gas" EB !!

Very Happy
kkrol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Who still has their 1 owner bought new by them Split Bus? Reply with quote

While attending the Porsche/VW Reunion in Cinncinati in 2005 I had the priviledge of meeting Dave Cormack from Hot VW's Magazine. I was extremely honored when he asked me if he could an article on my single cab. Of course I agreed and much to my surprise, the article below appeared in the August 2006 issue of HVW Magazine.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
My 85 year old aunt in Albuquerque taught me how to Skype Cool
Then she drove me to her brothers in Phoenix and back the next day. They both Skype with me when I am here in the east Wink

big bus mike wrote:
As a general rule, old people don't like computers...

You're aunt sounds like a badass. Laughing

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some awesome aunts and now she is 92 and yes pretty "Badass" too bad she wasn't into VW's Crying or Very sad

SamboSamba22 wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:
My 85 year old aunt in Albuquerque taught me how to Skype Cool
Then she drove me to her brothers in Phoenix and back the next day. They both Skype with me when I am here in the east Wink

big bus mike wrote:
As a general rule, old people don't like computers...

You're aunt sounds like a badass. Laughing

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: