Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mounting amps and Electronics (pre-1988 weekender)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Mounting amps and Electronics (pre-1988 weekender) Reply with quote

I thought I would share my version II electronics mount. It sticks with my usual requirements of:
* Keeping the stock look
* Minimal invasive installation
* Simplicity

Some other requirements were:
* Need a place for amps
* Too stingy to give up storage bin space
* Need ventilation
* Need access, but still slyly hidden and difficult to see/swipe

Here is the panel before mounting:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is made from a 1/4" piece of acrylic. I will need to get the exact material because like I said, this is version 2. Version 1 started to crack under the stress.

here you can see it mounted to the back of the jumpseat, using the existing holes that hold the seat back to the metal support (6). The lower amp is installed over those holes to make it harder to remove by bad people. They would have to get leverage to literally rip this thing out. If I do a version 3, I may go to a 3/8 or even 1/2" thickness.

The cool thing about this is that the mount is so sturdy and it looks good (IMHO). It is hidden from site when the seat is back, and well vented. I cut mine to the dimension of the seat back so nothing protrudes, and it tucks nicely out of site. It is a bit clustered here because I don't have all the wires run. I will take a final pic once everything is hooked up.

A simple close up of the positive and ground blocks. This makes it so the entire unit can be built out of the van, then mounted and hooked up with a simple connection to each of the blocks. Items are mounted with a specialty screw of your choice, into a "clawed" nut on the back side. I drilled little miniature holes for each of the claws to set into, allowing the back to sit flush. For added ventilation, I mounted the lower amp about 1/2" off the acrylic.

The unit also gives you a great place to mount fuses close to the battery, and allows for a ground within 12 inches (you can see it in the pictures-the only non-factory hole). For those without amps, this would be great for flash lights, extinguishers, battery chargers, etc...things you would like occasional access to, or items needing some passing air. The door vents vent right into this thing, so cooling will be a snap. It is really ideal so far.

The top amp is a 4-channel x 70 watt that can power 8 speakers (down to 2 ohm). The bottom powers two 10" subs, one mounted in the closet discretely (I have another thread out there on that build if you are interested). I mention this because two amp is the max you should need. You could buy a 5-channel amp, like a Kicker 700 or JL 800 and power your entire system very efficiently, and still have plenty of room to mount other gadgets. I just didn't have that kind of cash. Actually the kicker amp is not much, I just wanted to the JL amp more...

In the open space (top-right) I plan to mount a sine inverter, and plug it into the blocks as well, I just need to find the right size for my needs. Modular and easy mod. Now to fix that arm rest!!!!!

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: