Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1961 windshield wiper switch bellow rubber replacement easy.
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
targetinspect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: 1961 windshield wiper switch bellow rubber replacement easy. Reply with quote

I figured it out after not wanting to spring $100 bucks for a NOS. Use a new bus transaxle nose cone shifter boot (about a buck$) and cut it in half, use a dab of silicone at both resting areas, flip the plate around backwards and reconnect the snap ring. Dont forget to grease the wiper switch shaft. It works like new! Expensive hard to find 1961 wiper switch pulls to pressurize and twists to the right one click for wiper operation. This is a 1 year only switch...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about where the plasic pipe fits into the bellows, I don't see that in the photo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
targetinspect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
What about where the plasic pipe fits into the bellows, I don't see that in the photo.

It's on the back side resting on the desk, its there alright....
Cugel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent idea!

I was happy to discover recently that mine works still after cleaning out the fluid tank and poking overspray paint out of the two nozzles with a needle. I'm sure it won't work forever, so when it fails, I'll try this.

The only problem is that the teardrop-shaped rubber holder/grommet on the nozzle leaks, causing one nozzle to randomly not spray out of one side and drip out of the bottom on the wiper motor. The rubber piece is also a one year item. Any idea what to do about that? Silicone caulking or something? Are they available somewhere? I heard that the '61 nozzle is also a Porsche part, but I have no idea what model or year.
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 58 and have been toying with adding a windshield washer to the car and think I'll use one of these bellow switches. I have 2 questions though
Does this switch have 1 on position for a 1 speed wiper or 2 for a 2 speed wiper?

How is this system connected up? The switch has one tubing connection and the bottle has 1 tubing connection. Is there a check valve somewhere is something else? Don't quite get the flow of washer fluid from the bottle to the sprayer? I need to know all the parts to acquire!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1961 only from factory. 1 speed wipers. the fluid resivor is 61 only as it does not get pressurized with air hose,as the bellows being pumped in and out pumps fluid. VDO made the parts. the hose is only year for clear tubing as 62 had the black rubber.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a special check valve. VDO also made this as an accessory for older models - I have such a switch with screw-terminals.

billy270
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 windshield wiper switch bellow rubber replacement easy. Reply with quote

Is that an actual check valve are just a T
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1961 windshield wiper switch bellow rubber replacement easy. Reply with quote

There is a check valve in that special tee part. Otherwise it would not work.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 windshield wiper switch bellow rubber replacement easy. Reply with quote

That is why the "S", "D" and arrow between them cast into the tee check valve.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1961 windshield wiper switch bellow rubber replacement easy. Reply with quote

It's actually a double check valve - it has to be, to allow suction in one way and spray output the other. It's cheap too - not spring loaded, and it won't work unless you have it situated correctly for gravity to align the check balls.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: