Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Good first welder...
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thext94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:35 pm    Post subject: Good first welder... Reply with quote

I've practiced welding a couple times now at my friends garage and am not too bad, but it sucks having to drive over there just to practice. So I want to get my own to start doing small projects and practicing even more. What kind of welders are you guys using? What's a good starter welder? I want something that will be able to weld tubing sufficiently sized for a cage, but also able to weld sheet metal or cosmetic stuff. But I'd also like o not go too expensive...any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tyler
STOICH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most simple welder I have found is the Lincolns from home depot, not too expensive of a start at about $300.00 upgrade to gas for about $100.00... I have since upgrade to the 220 welder for about $600.00
not too many gauges to screw with, and if its not too windy, they weld like the dickens.. I will always buy this brand again...
thext94
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STOICH wrote:
the most simple welder I have found is the Lincolns from home depot, not too expensive of a start at about $300.00 upgrade to gas for about $100.00... I have since upgrade to the 220 welder for about $600.00
not too many gauges to screw with, and if its not too windy, they weld like the dickens.. I will always buy this brand again...

Forgot to mention I want a MIG, but I guess that was kind of implied as it will be my first welder. Thanks stoich, I'll check out the Lincoln, I've heard good things. I'd be starting with flux-core, and then eventually upgrading to gas in the distant future if I decide I really need it.
pafree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have been happy with my Hobart 125 with gas but wish i would have saved a couple extra bucks for the 135.
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with a name brand,Lincoln,miller hobart,etc.

I have a 120 volt century mig i bought years ago IMO it does fine for tacking other than that its a pile.I prefer to use my lincoln arc welder it does really good for thicker steel i am working on using it for thinner stuff.
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Lincoln 225 used for 80 bucks. Sweet deal and should be able to do all those things you mentioned.
1970DARKNESS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobart 140 works great all the way to 1/4". Comes set up for gas or fluxcore.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
XR250rdr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

77charger wrote:
Go with a name brand,Lincoln,miller hobart,etc.

I have a 120 volt century mig i bought years ago IMO it does fine for tacking other than that its a pile.I prefer to use my lincoln arc welder it does really good for thicker steel i am working on using it for thinner stuff.

I agree completely.

I recently bought a Millermatic 180. It wasn't cheap but it works beautifully and I know I will be able to get replacement parts for years to come if something does break on it.
thesatelliteguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save up and buy a nice one. Your going to have it for years, and for the most part, your going to be building safety with it (your cage). I paid $580 somthing for my home depot lincoln 140HD and it does a pretty good job, and i dont even have it hooked up for gas yet.

My build Page http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383878
traviswx1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im using a lincoln ac dc stick(arc) welder! And I dont recommend it for a beginner. But you can make it work if you get good. and they are the cheapest out there. Thick stuff is easy but rollcages are tougher.
JDub113
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have a few good resources for welding safety? I'm thinking of electric shock in ARC welding mostly... I was planning on welding my luggage area in certain spots and I just want to know how to avoid hurting myself. How am I supposed to weld in the middle of the baja safely?

I just found this link, but please add anything you think may be helpful.

http://www.ic.polyu.edu.hk/new/Facilities/d3/ee/KennethReport2k0208.pdf
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest waiting for a big 3 220 to pop up on craigslist. You shouldn't have a problem with shocking yourself with a mig as it only applies current while you're pulling the trigger. Wear your gloves and you'll be fine. TIG is where you have to be careful, but unless you have the amps turned way up all it'll do is give your heart a kick start.

Last edited by petrol punk on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
traviswx1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDub113 wrote:
Does anybody have a few good resources for welding safety? I'm thinking of electric shock mostly... I was planning on welding my luggage area in certain spots and I just want to know how to avoid hurting myself. How am I supposed to weld in the middle of the baja safely?

I just found this link, but please add anything you think may be helpful.

http://www.ic.polyu.edu.hk/new/Facilities/d3/ee/KennethReport2k0208.pdf

As long as your not standing in a puddle barefoot on the inside of your baja shock shouldnt be too much of a problem. Electricity follows the path of least resistence and flesh doesnt flow too well. But I have been shocked with an arc welder, but i touched the ground and the tip of the welding rod with one hand. it was a wake up call, but didnt damage anything. Plus I was welding 1/2 inch plate and had the welder turned up to about 80 amps.
ts39136
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDub113 wrote:
Does anybody have a few good resources for welding safety? I was planning on welding my luggage area in certain spots and I just want to know how to avoid hurting myself. How am I supposed to weld in the middle of the baja safely?

Don't forget to keeep your pant legs over your boots, it really hurts when a drop of splatter gets inside. I use an old piece of thick leather to cover my lap any time I'm sitting and welding. And a big ol fan blowing in one side of the car and out the other to keep the smoke out. And don't put the hot tip onto your cloth seats. It makes holes really quickly. And don't wear ear plugs so you can tell when your sleeve is on fire.
Ken48442
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a mig welder from Eastwood. I got it on sale for $269. Sign up for their e mails because they run specials on them from time to time. I havent seen them for 269 again but I do see them for 299 with free shipping. It comes with the gas guage too. It has done everything I need it to do on the bug and then some. I am by no means a professional welder but I have used other welders (lincoln, miller) and this one seems to perform just as well. Check out the web site and decide for yourself.
58Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a good thread on the paint/body section for this topic. I've tried the cheap route...and they can't compare to my Miller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sloboatnova
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used lincoln and miller. I like the miller much more. I felt the trigger control was much better and it seems easier to set up. I have a millermatic 140. It also has an automatic set for speed and amp. the auto setup works good for sheetmetal applications.

3BT Baja build page
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417564&highlight=3bt+baja
stever70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running the Miller DVI, which is nice since it will run on 110 or 220. I always use 220. sometimes in life you get what you pay for. Try finding a nice used one versus a new cheap one, you WONT regret having the nicer equipment. As far as gas versus flux, I am really a fan of using gas. Also, try going to the local welding supply shop. i have always found them to be helpful and knowledgeable. Let them know what you want to do with it now and in the future. They can give you the pros and cons of different machines. Good luck, and start burning some metal Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, you get lucky.
I was at a swap meet, and a guy had a welder on the tail gate of his pickup.
Wanted $75 or it. Said that it sometimes jammed the wire.
He had gone through divorce, and had no place to store it.
Told him I would give him $45 as is. He declined.

Wandered around for a couple hours, and came back by. He was loading up and getting ready to leave.
He asked what my final offer was? Told him I had already spent all my cash. I had $17 left, and would have to find an ATM. He said he could not wait. "Give me the $17 and it is yours."
I bought it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The feed problem was that it had been set up for aluminum wire, and liner was grooved. $10 part fixed it.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sites to look at for products and welding knowledge & safety....

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Pages/default.aspx
http://www.hobartwelders.com/
http://www.millerwelds.com/

For MIG get one that is GAS/NO-GAS... There are times when working "outside" where prevailing breeze will blow shield gas away, in these cases internal flux/shield wire is better option.....

Try to stay with brand name or brand made by reputable manufacturer.... Also consider accessories or replacement parts.... IF wire feed rollers wear out and you can not get replacements, its a pretty big door stop you have.....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: