Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EG33 Vanagon Adventure
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: EG33 Vanagon Adventure Reply with quote

This crate arrived today from British Columbia, and with it starts a new adventure which may eventually lead to an engine swap on my '84 Westy. Not convinced yet - but interested enough to have a close look at the EG33.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Even Werner (now in his 91st year), here from Berlin for a visit, has a turn at getting the crate opened and off.

So it is out in the open now and looks complete to my untrained eye. One dirty-great specimen of the early Subaru six. It is my plan to go slowly in this effort, and post photos along the way in hopes that someone may spot and correct the errors along the way. This is the first time I have seen one of these!

Last edited by JWPATE on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:17 am; edited 2 times in total
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that a Rolls/Bentley back there?
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One early surprise was the provision for lifting the engine. At what was the front end of the engine there is a substantial lifting ring built into the a/c compressor bracket. Here I have attached a lifting chain to it.

At the flywheel end though, the only ring I found is a flimsy affair indeed, attached with a single 8m bolt! In the photo I have loosened it for illustration. Certainly not willing to hang the engine by that device. Is it there for some other reason? Answer: Well, I finally found the removal section of the service manual and that is indeed the engine removal ring. Hard to believe!
Anyway I had to order a set of bolts to attach my universal engine hanger to the bell housing, stud/bolt drillings. There was only one stud in place (on lower right side). I expect there would have been studs on both the bottom sides, and perhaps bolts for the upper attachments. For the hanger tool, I need 10m/ 1.25 x 120mm. They are on order, so I shall wait.

Last edited by JWPATE on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, one of such a few produced cars.. only ~14k units.

I have mine under the bench as well.

Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Alcyone_SVX
Total sales of the SVX numbered 14,257 in the United States and a total of about 25,000 worldwide. 2,478 SVXs were sold in Europe (with 854 headed directly to Germany and 60 to France). Roughly 7,000 of all SVXs sold were right-hand drive models. Included in this number were the 249 vehicles sold in Australia, at a cost between approx. Au$73,000 to Au$83,000.

As an investment, Subaru actually lost $3,000 on every Subaru SVX sold, for a total loss of around $75,000,000 on this project. However, they considered this a small price to pay for the increased awareness of Subaru's presence as a quality, forward-thinking auto manufacturer

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bentley in the background is a '54 R-type.

The seller prepared this engine for shipping by resting it on the subaru exhaust headers, and that wood support to the front. The oil pan is not in contact with the crate bottom.

Question: Later on, when the subaru headers are discarded, and a shortened oil pan is fitted, will it be practical to lift the engine into position by placing all its weight on a jack under the oil pan? How do others do it?

Waiting for the bolts needed to fit the engine stand, I have used the time to take off the intake manifold. A surprising number of rubber vacuum and water hoses are thus brought into view. Nothing like the Rube Goldberg setup on our VW WBX engines though, and with the manifold in place most of it is out of view.

Last edited by JWPATE on Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the shortened oil pan improves this ground clearance.

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I see what you mean Alistair!
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bolts needed to mount this thing on a stand arrived today. They are German made DIN 8.8 bolts in 10m x 120m, and in fine thread of 1.25. One of the original studs is also shown for comparison. It is 105m in length and too short for using with my engine hanger fixture.

So it is now up where it can be cleaned and inspected. Hopefully I will be able to figure out the various vacuum and fuel vent hoses and pipes.

thummmper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take lots of photos as you disassemble her or you will forget stuff--
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd,
I should probably print your advice on a large sheet out in the garage.
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what this is!

It was found on top of the engine on the P/S pump side. I hope some Subaru expert will recognize it, and perhaps identify which system it was a part of.

Looks to me like it perhaps is associated with the fuel vent/charcoal canister loop. It is rubber (hardened) and that plastic restrictor was inside the end it is near in the photo. The hose ID is 4m and that restrictor takes it down to about 1m.
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mystery hose section has been identified. It connects the underside intake manifold vacuum fitting to the Vc tank, and is part of the Induction Control System.

Looking here at the underside of the intake manifold. Can anyone explain the function of that Vc tank? It is in the plumbing to the induction control valve. I imagine it acts something like a capacitor does in electric circuits - that is, stores a charge of the vacuum which has been limited by that plastic restrictor in the previous photo. The ECU signals a solenoid to open and close the induction control valve, but the actual force used is vacuum, and at high throttle positions vacuum is low.

By the way, does anyone know of a source for the SVX electronic-parts-manual, such as the excellent Etos version I have for the Vanagon?
I don't know whether any of these special formed vacuum hoses can still be obtained but on this specimen they are all hard and perished. I am not aware of any online parts place which stocks other than the high turnover items. Things like these hoses will probably require lining up at the local dealer's parts counter. Sure would be nice to arrive there with a list of parts numbers.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace all stock hoses with new silicone hose...much easier and cost effective....plus they come in pretty colors.

I have six complete EG33s here and numerous parts engines if you need anything.
I know where there are many more too.

dylan
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dylan - do you have the check valve covered in this posting?

I went out this morning and did a little testing on the Induction Control System. Starting at the main valve itself, and using a hand vacuum pump, I find that the valve starts to open with only 1 in. Hg., and is fully open against the stop at 5 inches.

The solenoid opens at about 3.5 volts and I expect the ECU supplied voltage would probably be 4.5 or more.

I then, just for fun, tried to open the valve using all the existing rubber hose sections and could not do it with the hand pump. Too much leakage. Then I replaced each section starting from that vacuum tank, and working back to the main valve. Each one of the hardened hose sections leaked too much for me to open the valve. That is until I had all new rubber and then it worked just fine.

Now, back to the Vacuum tank! It seems to work just as expected. If I draw the entire system including the tank down to, say, about 5 in. hg., then the valve will open with the solenoid just fine without additional pumping.

But, I found that the plastic restrictor fitting seen earlier is cracked and will not hold vacuum. I need a new one or a serviceable used item.

This fitting is two pieces of plastic which snap together, and that larger half is split, but must have rolled - for I don't see the split in this photo.
Look at the image though and think about why they would have made a two piece section, if all that was needed was a restrictor? I think that this actually was also a one-way check valve, for the design suggest that there was room inside for a spring and check ball. Can anyone confirm?

Anyway here it's back in good working order, with new german hose sections. Good, that is, except for the restrictor/check valve which I have on my needed parts list.

JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Replace all stock hoses with new silicone hose...much easier and cost effective....plus they come in pretty colors."

That sounds like great advice. I noticed today that on the smaller size stock hose sections alone, there are three different markings - 3704, 3203, and 2z04. Much better to just replace all of them in silicone. Any brand have a better reputation for long life?

How about the larger heater and coolant hoses? They probably need to be OEM because of the special bends and curves.
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the many questions in my mind, concerning the EG33, was the serious issue of the engines being now almost 20 years old and the question of how many OEM parts would still be available. There are a couple of OEM suppliers online and they offer a fair selection of the high turnover items, but none of the small, less-called-for bits.

So that little restrictor/check-valve provided the opportunity to see what is still available. I have just returned from the local Subaru parts desk, and the visit was encouraging. Yes, the check-valve is still available, and now on order - at $32.40 before tax. The parts desk was a clean, well-lighted place, and with a friendly, helpful staff (a far cry from the local VW staff).

I do wish I could find a CD set for the Subaru Electronic Parts Catalog, but have not yet been successful in that effort.
flailn2003
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys have online diagrams for most SVX stuff

decent prices too, less than my local dealer

http://www.subaruparts.com/parts.php
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.subaruparts.com/parts.php

Yes, I agree that the above site is a great source for those high-turnover items which they stock. But, there are scores of parts which they do not.

And the Devil is in the details....... just try to find that check valve in the above discussion, on this or any other online site. Thats why you will need to visit the Subaru parts desk from time to time, and it certainly is helpful to have the part number before venturing in.

I believe I have now located the Electronic Parts Catalog on CD.
flailn2003
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?model=2&year=...ory=061-A2

check valve #14
JWPATE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.

No, I have no idea how to text.

flailn2003

I cannot thank you enough! THAT is the kind of site I have been searching for - and yes, the trips to the Subaru parts desk will be rare indeed with this GREAT PARTS INLINE SOURCE.

I owe you one, for you have just saved my a great deal of time.

Last edited by JWPATE on Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 27

Jump to: