Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

grease packed steering box anyone try it??
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: grease packed steering box anyone try it?? Reply with quote

i was talking to a guy that owns a repair shop about my steering box that has a small leak. he was saying pack that sucker with grease Shocked i never thought about doing that Confused has anybody done this or thought to give this a try ??
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922

Last edited by devesvws on Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1977_L63H_P27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason VW didn't do it and I'd say it's cold weather. You wouldn't be able to turn it in the winter time.

1977 Westfalia P27 Green Bay Bus
you can't spell Volkswagen without SWAG
M-code Plate
Full Moon Bus Club
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was thinking that, but there are other types of grease, like the kind you use on cv joints, it seems softer. just a thought
THE FEW THE PROUD THE ORIGINAL VW WATERBOXER -> looking for a original 91 vanagon owners manual with 1991 on the cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmuiG2tUsP4&feature=share https://picasaweb.google.com/101290228103300323836/BostonBobFlywheelVideo#5543000332201103922
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wive's tales, my box has been packed with grease for fifteen years now, driven in temps from zero to hundred plus, no problems with turning. First opened the box to drain and clean out, did not have to remove it, hand packed it then installed a zerk fitting in the bottom of the box, when I grease the front suspension the box gets a fresh load, excess will ooze out the top.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some people have used a mixture of gear oil and ep moly grease. Having rebulit several of these, I would recommend the gear oil VW suggested. Small leaks are ususlly the seals and both are available.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seals on my '77 started puking oil while it was away from home 4ish years ago. I drilled a small hole near the top that I could just center a grease needle in and pumped a bit of grease in. It has gotten a bit of grease several times since and shows almost no seepage at this point in time. Is this the best solution, of course not, but it has worked for a long while and will probably last a bit longer until I finally get around to swapping another gear box in.
devesvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i went ahead and added some moly grease to it. i think i will take my heat gun and warm up the box a little, just to settle it down in there.
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win...ter? What is this thing you speak of? Reminds me i have to check how the steering box is doing for fluids.
VWDruid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Lucas Red "N" Tacky Multi-Purpose EP Grease and doing just fine been a few hundred miles, I'll have to see if its settled any.
70 Westy, 2027cc "dual DRLA 40 m140 i55 wjdoc a165 p33 v30 "w100 straight cut 040 polished heads 1.25 rockers 1.5 A1sidewinder supertrapp muffler trans 091 coil SUM-850500 CDI universal svda Pertronix
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
It's not the straight cut gears It's the T.A.R.D.I.S. engine.
wanted Chameleon Circuit
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grease might not be all that bad for the late model box since they are still available new. And you cheaply can replace them. But I'd think not for an early bay box. The number of early boxes in existance is what we have and are stuck with. As their parts get more scarce the cost of rebuilt boxes will go way up.
Grease is not the lube of choice for the type, variety, and arrangement of components in a steering box. Unlike wheel bearings that run hot because of speed and load. The lubricant needs to be fluid. So you've got a tradeoff, leaks or accelerated wear. Chose which one to prevent. Or just reseal it and call it good.
josh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penrite makes a viscous lubricant just for leaky old steering boxes. A lot of the old British car guys swear by it. My dad's got it in his Triumph.
Is it the best option?
I don't know. But it does work.

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/classic-car-oil/steering_box_lubricant
...If If stoner A takes a hit and then stoner B goes right away(not waiting two seconds), he's trying to suck on it while it's still got a vaccum, doesen't get much of a hit at all! Cause it hasn't filled back up all the way yet.

Stoner A is cylinders #2/4 B is #1/3 The plugged bowl is the throttle, the bong is the manifold
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue for any grease is that as one drives the steering teeth are constantly meshing and changing. Too thick a grease will get squezed out from between the teeth and not be able to flow back in before the mesh changes again eventually making it metal to metal. If the grease is thin enough to flow quickly it will work, but it will also leak the oil as it separates.

A pair of seals cost me about $15 from a local bearing house and was easy to replace. Usually it is only the lower one that leaks. There are those who have had reasonable results with grease and oil but I don't know how one would measure the difference unless one has 100 of each, 1/2 filled with gear oil and the other half grease -then compare wear at 100,000 miles. The folks who designed and made the LATE 73 -> gearboxes was a company named "Gemmer." They licensed the design first to the French who made them for about 6 - 8 months at the same factory Ferarri boxes were made and then the production was moved to Germany under VW/ZF. I guess one could do a search on old Gemmer documents and see the evolution of lubricants in their boxes and why/if they changed.
lonewolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: I have a 1970 Bay and the stearing box is loose & leaky. Reply with quote

I have a 1970 Bay and the steering wheel has a lot of play in it. I understand that it can be tightened up with adjustment but the box is also covered in a greasy oily mess. I have not messed with it yet because I am rebuilding the engine now, then probably the transaxle and brakes will come next. I hope to get all this finished by late spring or early summer so I can finally drive this bus. I was thinking that it should just be replaced but did not realize they are not too terrible to replace seals and oil and tighten up the adjustment. Have any of you done these things to your stearing boxes?
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the cv grease and gear oil mixture with reasonable success, Last summer though I decided to top up the box with stop leak hydrolic oil for floor jack. Hasn't leaked a drop since.

Craig

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
iratehippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/classic-car-oil/steering_box_lubricant[/quote]

Thanks for the link. All my vehicles are "classic".
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm collecting quite a list of people I'd never buy a bus from. Razz
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best guess, what the green book says, gee VW did not do that and speculation do not cut it for experience, don't knock it till you try it.

SGKent, my box was packed with grease, the zerk allows for new grease to be packed in, what ever is squeezed away from the gears as they mesh fresh grease is picked up on the teeth as they turn. Plus wheel bearings are packed with grease, so the constant meshing theory is kind of mute.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
I'm collecting quite a list of people I'd never buy a bus from. Razz

Rolling on the floor in laughter on that one.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
my box was packed with grease, the zerk allows for new grease to be packed in, what ever is squeezed away from the gears as they mesh fresh grease is picked up on the teeth as they turn. Plus wheel bearings are packed with grease, so the constant meshing theory is kind of mute.

Did you read and understand what SG said about the lack of replenishment of the lube on the gears?
And have you realized that he didn't mention the critical bearings in the box that won't get replenished?
And did you read and understand what I wrote about why wheel bearings are a total different application?

At least you didn't top it off with hydrOlic jackoff oil. Amazing how everyone is saying how good the goop crap they are putting in is working. I guess that makes sense if the only criteria is stopping a leak.
Darn SG, you mean you went to all the trouble to replace the worn out seal when you didn't need to?
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with 15 years of on the road running with a greased steering box, over 200K miles, no binding, no crunching, steering still smooth, reality once again proves that arm chair technician speculation is not valid.

In the mid 1990's when I did this the local VW dealer did not have or could get the seal, the three VW parts stores I had access to did not have seals, being a person that will at least try something my box got greased. Now, due to the web and German Supply I have steering box seals stored away in the front end parts box, if and when the box on my bus gives up, it is the original and has well over 300K on it, I will replace it with one of the four late boxes I have stored, will put a new seal in and fill with oil. But for now there is no reason to do that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: