Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Third brake light option that includes turn signals
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
jmranger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per my invoice, MFG P/N is PL06147, which now links to http://www.jcwhitney.com/auxiliary-50-led-light-bars/p2011775.jcwx

For the flashers, AlanD have a nice trick: add relays to flash the rear side markers. Details in the Samba thread I linked above.

Have fun,

Jean-Marc
crowinghen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks-- I hadn't noticed the comments about the turn signals when I read that thread this morning, nor the other link that went right to the one you bought. Rolling Eyes

susie
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would that bolt up?
I think that would bolt up to the westy shelf but would not work on a GL unless on the outside. When i did mine i looked at the truck light but desided against it because of the low location. Even at the bottom of the window was to low for me.

I used a volvo s70 or s80 led. bright and looks good when off because its clear. Volvo did make one for there wagons that should fit with less cutting.

I would say the 3rd light should be the FIRST upgrade right behind the fuel lines Very Happy

jcl
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to the third brake light, I added a forth brake light. When my trailer hitch
is not being used for my hitch haul.
I plug in this lamp that is wired for the trailer hitch harness. It acts as a forth brake
light as well as a parking lamp.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I to copied PDXs' third brake light from JC Whitney, it works good as it should.
After having it installed for a few months, I found the exact same led strip at a
local business for around $15. You may want to check out some of your local truck
businesses first. Maybe you'll get lucky and get a deal?
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmranger wrote:
Per my invoice, MFG P/N is PL06147, which now links to http://www.jcwhitney.com/auxiliary-50-led-light-bars/p2011775.jcwx

For the flashers, AlanD have a nice trick: add relays to flash the rear side markers. Details in the Samba thread I linked above.

Have fun,

Jean-Marc

X2 on this setup. It 's what I have, it mounts fine inside my Westy, and it can be seen easily thru 20% window tint.

Thanks to PDXwesty for showing the way on this mod.

(Yes, you need to figure out what wire goes to the brakes when you remove a taillight and gently pull off the wiring plug/harness, but that's part of the fun. It's in Bentley, but I do not have it in front of me now to tell you the page number and wire color.)

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Home Team Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="climberjohn"]
jmranger wrote:

Thanks to PDXwesty for showing the way on this mod.

(Yes, you need to figure out what wire goes to the brakes when you remove a taillight and gently pull off the wiring plug/harness, but that's part of the fun. It's in Bentley, but I do not have it in front of me now to tell you the page number and wire color.)

-CJ

black w/ red stripe goes to the brake lights.

82 Diesel Westy
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the answer to my email re the OP's link.

"The brake light stripes are approximately a quarter inch wide and come in a7 inch and a 9 7/8 inch lengths. They are in a "D" shaped tube that is abouta quarter inch tall. Shipping to Ontario will be between $10 and $20. Let meknow if you need any additional information. Solomon HarrisCutting Edge Illusions1210 Interior St Suite 2Eugene, OR 97402541.359.3340info@cuttingedgeillusions.comwww.cuttingedgeillusions.com"

I think that there are many more exconomical options than this expensive unit as so many have mentionned.

I'd like to have the red 3rd brake lite butted on each end with orange signal flashers, all comprised of LED. Going to look around, get some ideas. It will have to be thin because I do not have the open shelf uptop at back but I should be able to fix it right at the top of the top cupboard.

I would like to do it as an increased visibility issue = safety.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
averyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Found one with reverse, left/right signals, brake/running Reply with quote

Here is a unit with reverse, left/right signals, brake/running light.
Main site: http://www.gorecon.com/products.php?p_cat=27&cname=Mini-LED-Tailgate-Light-Bars
On Amazon: Make sure you get model Part # 26418CLW (clear) or Part # 26418BKW (smoke) because these are the only models with reverse. http://www.amazon.com/Recon-26418BKW-Mini-Tailgate...n+26418BKW

A little pricey but I went with it. I'll let you know how install goes. It came with a flat four connection + an additional wire for reverse.

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIJ-b02XJJw
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Found one with reverse, left/right signals, brake/runnin Reply with quote

averyo wrote:
Main site: http://www.gorecon.com/products.php?p_cat=27&cname=Mini-LED-Tailgate-Light-Bars
It came with a flat four connection + an additional wire for reverse.

I came across those lights when I was looking for a light for my bike rack (bikes block the tail lights), but could find no info anywhere on how they were wired, so I went with something else. Now that I know it's a flat-four... it's on my list! Thanks for posting about it. Very Happy
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: 3RD brake light Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Just found this on Ebay under $50.00 , also has turn signals. Fit's in my 2" hitch just plugs into trailer plug. Also with my tire on back gives the back of van more protection. And I can use it to get to my top rack. Don't you just love LED's all rear bulbs are LED. Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BULLY-2-INCH-HITCH-STEP-RE...231daf2259 They took my best offer. And free shipping. Idea
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: