Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What car is the Tamiya "Rough Rider"?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave-co wrote:
Hate to burst all your bubbles, the car that they modeld was Bob Maynards Funco ss2, not Malcoms or any other

Tamiya MAY have used Bob's Funco for measurements etc., but the R/C model came with ISS graphics exactly like Malcolm and Bud's car. I was getting my Hi jumper Class 2 (2-seat Unlimited, the ISS car was Class 1, Single Seat Unlimited) car ready for the start of a Fireworks 250 race near Barstow and a little buggy ran across under my car and practically over my toes. It was an ISS version pre-production prototype Tamiya buggy. Standing a ways the other side of my buggy were a group of Oriental gentlemen and one "gringo" wearing matching polo shirts with "Tamiya" on the chest. The radio control was in the hands of one of the Oriental fellows with a huge grin on his face. We talked to them for about 10 minutes with one of the Japanese translating. They had until that day only seen photos of offroad race cars and were thrilled like little kids on their 1st visit to Disneyland. The Anglo guy was carrying a heavy bag of batteries. I saw a press release a couple of weeks later announcing the new R/C buggy and Baja Bug. My co-driver had put in an order before the announcement.

Note: "ISS" stands for "Insurance Salvage Service", a wrecking yard in the San Fernando Valley which was like a wholesale wrecking yard selling to other wrecking yards. Bel Ray makes lubricants for motorcycles.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Smupony2000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Can anyone give me an idea of this things value? Reply with quote

I think I ended up with the ss2 that was for sale. Can anybody tell me if these things have any value? I was told they did and sunk some money into body/ paint work, but I have no idea ( or probably have an overinflated sense) of it's value?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
. This is what it originally looked like.
LantanaTX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across this older thread and thought you guys would like an update on the Bel-Ray Bullet. It is still owned by Bud Feldkamp and Malcolm Smith. It is prepped by Dave Tilton. We just took it to the NORRA Mexican 1000 and won first in class and second overall to walker Evans in vintage. The 40 year old car can still get it done. The car was driven by Bud's son Buddy Feldkamp. Here is our finish line picture with Bud, Buddy, Dave Tilton and Bob Lawrence. The car is currently on its way back from Mexico and will be on display at the Peterson Museum in Los Angeles for the next four months if you would like to check it out.

flashho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrates to the Bel Ray team! Here is a pic at km60 pre Loreto.
LantanaTX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the great picture!
Guz Motorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is great news to hear that the Bel-Ray Bullet is still running and winning too!! It is always nice to see vintage race cars restored and raced.

Congrats to Bud, his son and the whole crew that made that possible.

Please give my salutes to Bud, we met years ago during Baja races.

Carlos Guzman
Guz Motorsports
'73 Fugitive 2 Seater Sand Rail
'75 VW Type 181
'91 Corsair Dune Buggy
'95 VW Class 11 Look-a-Like
'75 VW Type 181 Safari
'03 VW Beetle "Ultima Edicion"
Bunderson Class 1 Off-Road Race Car
And a few other VWs Toys & Projects...
kingjason2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What car is the Tamiya "Rough Rider"? Reply with quote

Back from the dead thread! Crazy. My first RC car was a Superchamp, came out the year after this one or so, I bought it new at Michaels in Duncanville when I was 11 I guess. I still dabble in RC cars amongst other things. So when I was researching this thing I had drug up, this thread popped up. Very cool and may change my paint scheme now. I have always been a single seat guy, and was looking to maybe build another Pilot when this popped up. My wife has a Polaris Ace 900 XC and I was looking for something to follow her around in when I get tired of MX when we go. Running when parked! I laughed and said BS, guys swears he drove into a field four years ago and parked it. Bones on it still look pretty good. I m stripping it down to phosphoric acid it and paint it. Dammit if I could only mold fiberglass. This thing has aluminum panels. I am guessing the nerf bars were removable. Looks like at some point someone spent some money on it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZKNPianpL5EKVfyz9
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: