Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Twin Plug Dual distributor build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crank trigger and Nissan conversions are all great and high tech......but nothing is as cool as real dual distributors.

As to precision timing.....
If you have a friend with a dual trace scope you can look at timing in real time relative to each other and adjust. Of course, every time you touch or replace the points you have to go thru it again but you have to anyway, right? The scope will let you observe the relative advance of each distributor also.

HaHa! Now that I posted that little tidbit I'm going to stop shopping for a used distributor machine and build a fixture to use MY scope! Just need a small DC drive motor......wait, or everyone will be building one.

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
Shadd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a dual trace scope and a sun distributor machine. I could do it for you. Cool
Shadd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeffL wrote:
The Model T actually had 4 coils (sometimes called buzzers)...

Its called a trembler. As an experiment I connected up a model T coil to my bug. Ran great.
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninamashr, did you ever post the gear, shaft and bushing numbers? I have a customer who would kike one built and did not laugh at the ridiculous price (I thought) that I quoted. In reality, I had said that it wasn't practical from a time standpoint and the price reflects my estimated time. Anyway, why reinvent the wheel, right? I hope you're have success with the device as the design is pretty fundamental and sound appearing. Also hope you don't mind a bit of plagiarism... Laughing
Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery.....or something like that! hahaha

RC

I will be happy to speak to anyone who has a serious inquiry (meaning real potential business for RC enterprises) or a parts order. Due to machining noise causing missed calls all calls will be returned promptly.
gimmesomeshelter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockCrusher-

Your other option is to puchase a dual distributor unit from Precison Matters, and recurve the distributors to suit your customer's motor.

http://www.precisionmatters.biz/twin-plug-ignition.php

Cheers,

Paul

Richard Feynman
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
RockCrusher-

Your other option is to puchase a dual distributor unit from Precison Matters, and recurve the distributors to suit your customer's motor.

Cheers,

Paul

2300.00- yikes! And the drive shaft is centered, not on one end like ninamashr's dizzy. I'd like to get one from Nina, because I have dual carbs and dual generator and the Porsche one simply won't fit, my second generator is in the way
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimmesomeshelter wrote:
RockCrusher-

Cheers,

Paul
Could but that won't fit the customer's application....4 cylinder 911.

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RockCrusher wrote:
Could but that won't fit the customer's application....4 cylinder 911.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninamashr doesn't really reply to messages, does anyone know if he's selling the dual distributor set up? Id really love to buy one!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ninamashr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys for not replying but I've been really swamped lately...

LevTitan: I wanted to keep the rotation of the internal weights of the 019 the same as stock. It just didn't feel right to spin the weights in the opposite direction they were designed to go. The weights are offset and I did not want to have any problems. Maybe Glenn will chime in and let us know if there are any problems with the advance system spinning counter clockwise as opposed to clockwise.

Rockcrusher: I haven't posted the gear numbers etc yet because they can only be used if you want to make one exactly like mine. The gear size is dependent on the pitch diameter and center gear distance, so if you go with my style, "side winder style", I'll send ya the part#s. If you want to make one, "split style", center shaft turning 2 dists, you'll have to get 5 gears and daisy chain them. As a matter of fact I have 5 left over that I EDM'd from old oil pump gears that should work for that style. I also have the 2 pins I made for the intermediate gears you will need for the split style.

guteandtite: I might be able to make a kit with the aluminum housing, lid, and parts list but you will need somebody with a lathe to finish it for you.
RockCrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Ninamashr.
Yes I'm interested in the sidewinder and as I said....why reinvent the wheel?
You unit turned out so nicely and has a classic style. The split style won't fit the 911 4 banger. I've been itching to do this for myself as well so please do post the #'s or email me. I would very much appreciate it. And, hey kit style that just needs finishing is a good way for me as well. I can do it all but it wouldn't have the nice Bosche script in the side.

RC

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninamashr wrote:
LevTitan: I wanted to keep the rotation of the internal weights of the 019 the same as stock. It just didn't feel right to spin the weights in the opposite direction they were designed to go. The weights are offset and I did not want to have any problems. Maybe Glenn will chime in and let us know if there are any problems with the advance system spinning counter clockwise as opposed to clockwise.

It absolutely would not work if spun CCW.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled across this, truely some amazing work you have done. Very impressive. I see folks found my pics of my blue turbo ghia with twin plug heads running the 009 with a Datsun cap. I really enjoyed that car! I did a few versions over the years, but nothing compared to what you have done.

super crude homemade cap for 009, note the lower copper ring that the coil wire ran on. This actually worked, but was short lived due to wear on the copper ring. Also could only had room for points and could not adjust firing angle between the 2.

This was a real nice unit made by Jim Hassad back in the 70's. Belt driven with pressed in bearings. Worked real nice but eventually belt issues sidelined this one. 1915cc with turbo + this ran 120hp all day and would break loose 3rd gear on the highway!

same engine, but de-turboed, swapped to dual carbs and went the 009 with Datsun cap route. Worked great! then sold the car,,,

1776 twin plug using pertronix with dual ignitors. I never got to fully develop this and it got sidelined,,,

Keep up the great work!
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:
I stumbled across this, truely some amazing work you have done. Very impressive. I see folks found my pics of my blue turbo ghia with twin plug heads running the 009 with a Datsun cap. I really enjoyed that car! I did a few versions over the years, but nothing compared to what you have done.

super crude homemade cap for 009, note the lower copper ring that the coil wire ran on. This actually worked, but was short lived due to wear on the copper ring. Also could only had room for points and could not adjust firing angle between the 2.

This was a real nice unit made by Jim Hassad back in the 70's. Belt driven with pressed in bearings. Worked real nice but eventually belt issues sidelined this one. 1915cc with turbo + this ran 120hp all day and would break loose 3rd gear on the highway!

same engine, but de-turboed, swapped to dual carbs and went the 009 with Datsun cap route. Worked great! then sold the car,,,

1776 twin plug using pertronix with dual ignitors. I never got to fully develop this and it got sidelined,,,

Keep up the great work!

What need to be done to the Stock distributor to fit the datsun cap, extra points and datsun rotor?

volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made an adapter plate to hold the cap and an adapter for the rotor. I got a drawing someplace. If I did it again, I would use a 3/8" plate instead of the thin plate I used.

sotexguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this setup is very nice and Ninamasher is the man when it comes to perfect aftermarket early speed stuff. I cant wait for his next mods.
58 Chevy Panel (The Sled)
01 Excursion (Big Gulp)
Down to only three Plus a cool new Rollback Trailer!
sankyp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: @Ninamashr Reply with quote

Excellent job brother. I will be attempting a similar setup for my carb Suzuki 800cc car. Only hurdle being the intake manifold which blocks a major pard of the head from where a plug can be inserted. It makes around 35ps power and runs about 9:1 compression ratio. So shaving the head is on cards.

I am confused about the twin coil setup though. Should they be connected in parallel or in series. The car has a 35AH battery and 35 amp alternator. Will it be sufficient to keep the coils charged if connected in parallel or shud I go with a series connection?

If connected in series, I am not sure where the LT wires from the condenser will be to the coil from Confused

Plz help me here. Thank you.
loor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:
I made an adapter plate to hold the cap and an adapter for the rotor. I got a drawing someplace. If I did it again, I would use a 3/8" plate instead of the thin plate I used.

what kind of cap and rotor did you use with that setup?

cheers
volkaholic1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the Nissan twin plug cap / rotor from the Z22, I got part numbers somewhere, search on drivewire.com
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

volkaholic1 wrote:

I notice your bottom engine has a thick aluminum plate. Is this by chance one of the dual ignition kits I sent out from Hawaii in the early 90s?
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: