Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for my old 1971 clue is interior crash bar on inside
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Looking for my old 1971 clue is interior crash bar on inside Reply with quote

Anyone have a 1971 sunroof deluxe (perhaps originally white over butterscotch) that has a crash bar inside the front interior down low? If you do PM me where you are. My curiosity has gotten the better of me. Sold it in 1984 in Upland CA.

Last edited by SGKent on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya gotta picture?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dansvans wrote:
ya gotta picture?

no. Sure don't. Might have some taken from the inside looking out but nothing from the outside but I will look. Had a Z-Products folding seat in the rear with a special pad I put in. 7-passenger w/ sunroof. The crash bar if still in it would be unique. Not many of those roll cages down low were ever sold. Was imaculate in 1984 so if it was in a dry climate it is still around. Guy I sold it to was named John Trabucco who lived in Upland at the time.
brookmp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing a bay window with one of those low inside crash bars years ago at either the Irvine Classic or the Jamboree. If I recall, a couple owned the bus and manufactured the bar themselves and were trying to get a business going with them. You just refreshed my memory. I always wondered if they got it off the ground. I sort of doubt it as I haven't seen an inside crash bar in a VW Bus since then. I'm sorry this doesn't answer your question, but it just jogged my memory about something I remember seeing, and always wondered about in the back of my head.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey SG, after 5 years looking for Polly's bus we finally bumped into it on Craigs list in Cal. Only identified it by a photo clue and a gut feel. Mixed emotions. Sad but it also put the issue to rest. So it was good.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
Hey SG, after 5 years looking for Polly's bus we finally bumped into it on Craigs list in Cal. Only identified it by a photo clue and a gut feel. Mixed emotions. Sad but it also put the issue to rest. So it was good.

awsome
sgarvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brookmp wrote:
I remember seeing a bay window with one of those low inside crash bars years ago at either the Irvine Classic or the Jamboree. If I recall, a couple owned the bus and manufactured the bar themselves and were trying to get a business going with them. You just refreshed my memory. I always wondered if they got it off the ground. I sort of doubt it as I haven't seen an inside crash bar in a VW Bus since then. I'm sorry this doesn't answer your question, but it just jogged my memory about something I remember seeing, and always wondered about in the back of my head.

This doesn't help you either SG, but I own a 71' with a crash bar. I wonder if it could possibly be one manufactured by the couple above? Previous owner installed it and I didn't ask about it when I purchased the bus.

It makes a good foot rest and a convenient place to mount an extinguisher, but I wonder how much it would actual help in a head on collision.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgarvin wrote:
brookmp wrote:

This doesn't help you either SG, but I own a 71' with a crash bar. I wonder if it could possibly be one manufactured by the couple above? Previous owner installed it and I didn't ask about it when I purchased the bus.

It makes a good foot rest and a convenient place to mount an extinguisher, but I wonder how much it would actual help in a head on collision.

do you know the history on that bus? My bar was almost identical but I don't remember the center brace although it could have been added later. Is that one a 7 passenger sunroof with a full set of gauges hung under the dash?
sgarvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the M plate:

1971 Bus

-Born May 7th, 1971
-Export Destination: US, Port of Louisiana
-7 seater micro bus
-sierra yellow/pastel white
-leatherette, black interior

BUT no sun roof. I don't really know too much beyond that, other than a very small amount of its recent history. Two brothers were restoring it together in central Oregon...when one lost interest and the other decided to move to the coast it went up for sale.

The gentleman I purchased it from was supposedly a previous mechanic (porsche/VW) and I received the bus in great condition (OG paint and such). I think it spent most of its life in a dry area as it has very little rust issues, or they were dealt with (battery tray done).

If I remember correctly the fellow had been in an accident at some point (not this bus) and didn't like the manner in which the nose crumpled towards his legs and so this bar was put in. I always assumed somebody had built it for him as I've never seen anything like this advertised by a vendor.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sellers remorse for you Steve?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

absolutely. Never thought I would miss it but I did and that is why we have this 1977.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
aeromech wrote:

absolutely. Never thought I would miss it but I did and that is why we have this 1977.

I know what you mean

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I see that bar all I can think of is the front mounts tearing loose and the whole thing pivoting up and back like a mousetrap. Who knows how it actually performs. I don't think anyone will volunteer for a crash test.
Esher127
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RatCamper wrote:
When I see that bar all I can think of is the front mounts tearing loose and the whole thing pivoting up and back like a mousetrap. Who knows how it actually performs. I don't think anyone will volunteer for a crash test.

Agreed. Attached to a flat floor and the wheel well arches... doesn't seem like it could be that strong or really hold that much back.

One thing that I've learned from Jeeping and rollcages is that an improper one can be much more of a hazzard than what was was there from the factory. I think that would apply here too.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esher127 wrote:
RatCamper wrote:

Agreed. Attached to a flat floor and the wheel well arches... doesn't seem like it could be that strong or really hold that much back.

One thing that I've learned from Jeeping and rollcages is that an improper one can be much more of a hazzard than what was was there from the factory. I think that would apply here too.

Who wants to test crash their 1971 and earlier to see how much force it takes to pin you in the seat without one? One of the strongest cases for owning a late bus is Road Warrior. Anyway - doesn't sound like the bus is still around at least on TheSamba. Think I will try to reach the buyer and see what became of it.
hansie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one in my 72 . Mine doesn't have the middle bar. They were imported into the US from Australia . I got mine about 8-10 years ago from an advertiser in Hot VW's. I think that they outlawed them. They were called a comfort bar ,just to rest your feet on. I think in a bad head on that you would end up with some really busted up legs !! They would be great if you could build them and have them welded to the frame. Then and again a full cage would be great too.
nightfly19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgarvin wrote:
From the M plate:

1971 Bus

-Born May 7th, 1971
-Export Destination: US, Port of Louisiana
-7 seater micro bus
-sierra yellow/pastel white
-leatherette, black interior

BUT no sun roof. I don't really know too much beyond that, other than a very small amount of its recent history. Two brothers were restoring it together in central Oregon...when one lost interest and the other decided to move to the coast it went up for sale.

The gentleman I purchased it from was supposedly a previous mechanic (porsche/VW) and I received the bus in great condition (OG paint and such). I think it spent most of its life in a dry area as it has very little rust issues, or they were dealt with (battery tray done).

If I remember correctly the fellow had been in an accident at some point (not this bus) and didn't like the manner in which the nose crumpled towards his legs and so this bar was put in. I always assumed somebody had built it for him as I've never seen anything like this advertised by a vendor.

This is kind of off topic, but is this your bus?

I spotted it at Deschutes Brewery in mid October 2010.
sgarvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,

that's my bus. You are from Redmond? I don't think I have seen your high top around yet.

SG
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful buses - both AeroMech and SGarvin.
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sgkent - are you going to buy and restore and early bay soon?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: