Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Model years - Production year versus model year.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: VW Model years - Production year versus model year. Reply with quote

prior to 1955, the model year of a VW corresponded exactly with the calendar year. then with much fanfare, in august 1955, VW introduced the model year system. so a VW built on august 1st 1955 was a '56 model. during the '50s, VW was fairly strict on their policy of progressive refinements, where they would make changes as soon as they felt an improvement was necessary. little by little in the mid-late 1950s, VW started saving up certain changes for the new model year. the mechanical type changes were likely to happen whenever they realized something needed improved, but the trim changes were happening largely on a different schedule. by the 1960s, VW was clearly saving most of its trim changes for the model year change. there were also certain regulations that were being implemented by the united states department of transportation, which required certain things to comply with the next model year vehicle. (like the minimum headlight to ground distance in 1960, which forced a redesign of the Karmann Ghia nose). in 1965, VW started putting the model year in the VIN number of all models.

but there was a little problem. after VW introduced the model year with much fanfare in 1955, they didn't mention much about it in technical literature until the early '60s. so this left an unclear area in the late '50s. there could be many reasons for this. perhaps since they had already stated the change, they didn't feel the need to restate it on a yearly basis. perhaps they were more interested in making and selling cars that worked, than putting effort into restating the obvious. and I say obvious because there were some really obvious changes that were happening on the model year change. the most obvious was the colors. they were changing colors of vehicles throughout the model line on august 1st.

people tended to call their cars the year that it stated on the title and registration. titles were not created in Germany with the car's production. titles are created in the individual states where cars are first registered. a dealership sends some paperwork to the state department which is responsible for titling vehicles, and they issue the title for whatever the dealership tells them. since VW did not have major cosmetic changes on every single year like Detroit did, sometimes dealerships would fudge a little. an unsold '59 kombi could become a '60 kombi, and the consumer would be none the wiser. well, unless they checked the VIN number. the vast majority of mis-titled years on VWs show the vehicle to be one year newer than we know it to be. most states will allow someone to get the year on their title corrected if they show some proof that the original title was in error. this can be important for getting model-year license plates, which is a program than many states have.

fast forward to present times. older models are generally considered to be cooler than newer models. so now many people want a '58, not a '59. so there is quite a bit of confusion when someone poses their car as one year earlier than the model year which it actually is. this is the exact opposite of what dealerships were doing back in the day. I guess people will do many things to make their car seem more appealing.

so anyway, VW put out a lot of literature, and there had to be a Rosetta Stone of model year cutoffs for the late '50s somewhere out there, just nobody had found it and brought it forth yet. well, here it is. it clearly states the model year cutoffs in the late '50s in a piece of VW literature printed in Germany by Volkswagenwerk for dealerships in the USA.

there are a few things that are to be noted. VW states in the piece that there were vehicles built before the model year cutoffs which are equipped as the later model year. (i.e. if anything, it is from the newer model year) I believe this is to account for prototype vehicles, and or vehicles which have prototype features. (like the convertible karmann ghia built in mid 1957 to test the fit of the new body panels). the book also shows the '54 model cutoff to be at the change from barndoor to post-barndoor. perhaps they were trying to avoid the confusion of whether a '55 is a barndoor or not. anyway, I don't agree with that cutoff, and I think that there are '55 barndoors. also, as has been generally noted before in many places, there are no 1955 Karmann Ghias, even though they were introduced before august 1st 1955. they were always intended to be '56 models.

this piece does contradict some of what is said in Progressive Refinements, but there are plenty of errors in progressive refinements, which can be easily proven. I believe that this piece is much stronger than PR.

hopefully this will shut down most of the debate for people trying to pre-date the vehicles.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/dealers/60salesmanbook.php
(the important pages are near the end of the book)

**all chassis numbers are for the last vehicle produced in the month listed.**
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! This looks the the be-all/end-all for this argument.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

american model year is such a waste of time..........cant argue with month and year of manufacture

of course if you love to overexplain everything then hell yes yea "american model year"
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugheseum wrote:
american model year is such a waste of time..........cant argue with month and year of manufacture

of course if you love to overexplain everything then hell yes yea "american model year"

"American" model year?
ferry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a december 1958 panel ..my MOT station said its a 58 bus so ..ive got a 58 ..and for all the vw purists its a 59 ..
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:
hugheseum wrote:

"American" model year?

"American" as in " That makes my cars a year younger, and therefore somehow less cool, so that system does not apply to me"

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dmuis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for pointing that out Lind!

Was it just added to the technical lit?
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

american as in the rest of the world doesnt use a model yr.........in fact we dont really either,if you want the correct parts for your car use the date and yr of manufacture..........if you love to overcomplicate by all means use an american model yr to refer to your cars vintage...........in fact put your hand on your hip and act whitty as fuck when ya do it
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugheseum wrote:
american as in the rest of the world doesnt use a model yr.........in fact we dont really either,if you want the correct parts for your car use the date and yr of manufacture..........if you love to overcomplicate by all means use an american model yr to refer to your cars vintage...........in fact put your hand on your hip and act whitty as fuck when ya do it

I'd like to see you at an american car show telling everyone that their car is actually a different year because model years are BS. I am sure that would make you seem whitty as fuck.....
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a 1959. Cool
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmuis wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/

I scanned it and Everett added it to the site last week, but I was too busy to write the dissertation until today.
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugheseum wrote:
american as in the rest of the world doesnt use a model yr.........

They don't? Please explain the 3rd digit in the VIN of every ACVW built since August of 1964.
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post!

It seemed to me like page 1 and 2 were the same, but a closer look at the 'vin #s' shows that the Model Year cut offs are different than the year of production.

Very good information! This probably won't get 'adopted' and I can see people being very resistant to change, but this is the definitive/final word on this issue.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:
hugheseum wrote:
american as in the rest of the world doesnt use a model yr.........

They don't? Please explain the 3rd digit in the VIN of every ACVW built since August of 1964.

Yeah, I don't quite understand the "american" opinion on this either. Many imported automobiles introduced new models prior to actual model year- and I know of no VIN system set up uniquely for US- bound cars (could be some though).

My '71 Suzuki LJ10 is an example (built in 70- and never exported to the US). If I searched for parts- I'd get exactly this many hits: zero. Tell 'em it's a '71 and the parts world is my oyster. I think I understand you mean "conversationally" it's an american trait- but I don't believe it is strictly an american behavior.

What do ya'll think of the new, friendlier Bradford?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
oldschool64bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:

What do ya'll think of the new, friendlier Bradford?

IT'LL NEVER LAST! Laughing so can I be cool and call my big hatch fried egg panel a 63 then haha
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
dmuis wrote:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/

I scanned it and Everett added it to the site last week, but I was too busy to write the dissertation until today.
Nice writeup/dissertation Lind. thanks!
mattcuddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the rosetta stone analogy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up Lind. But sadly my nov 1960 panel is still a 61 Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual, Lind comes through again with great and undisputable VW Transporter information (model year clarification), and a very thorough explanation. Thanks again Lind!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Lind. It's really cool to see something I have always wondered about confirmed in print.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: