Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Model years - Production year versus model year.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
mightymouse wrote:

Good point.

My bus has a 255 bulkhead, all early parts, and a 274 vin. lol

Half way through 1957, but sure you can call it a 58 since your pushing toward everything being as new as it can be.
Ill stick with build date thank you. Not usa model year. Wink

LOL, Your panel is a sept of '57, right? When did we move to a 18 month year?

I'm not pushing for "everything" to be "new as it can be" , I'm just saying your bus is actually newer than you wish it was.

You can call it what ever you want, just remember that what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Very Happy

Like i said, you can argue with yourself all day long. I know people who lived during these times, i know what went on back then and what people actually cared about. I also know that when i went to the DMV what my bus was reg'd as.
So again, i dont "wish" anything. The bus is what the bus is. If it makes YOU feel better to say my 57 is a 58 then by all means knock yourself out.
Wink

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.

Last edited by mightymouse on Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymouse wrote:
The bus is what the bus is.

Yes, and VW called it a '58.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanM wrote:
mightymouse wrote:
The bus is what the bus is.

Yes, and VW called it a '58. That's not good enough for you?

Look at it this way, now you have an excuse to go get another bus so you can say you have a '57. Wink

No... its just that i dont care. When it was purchased in say... NV or california, or where it was purchased (oregon) the new owner would drive right down to DMV and if it was oct 1957... it would be reg'd as a 57.
Nobody cared. This BS is only upsetting people NOW.
Like i said, i have several friends who are in their 70s, and both my grandpas are alive and have told me story after story about this.
They both said if you bought a car in august 1956 and went to DMV, you can damn well bet it was a 1956 on the reg.
Now in OR where my bus is from, they titled by the engine number, AND the year that you drove the car up to the dmv.
So if a bus like mine sat around on the dealer floor for 6 months, and then was driven into dmv in 58, it would be reg'd as a 58.
But again, this does depend on the state. Every state did things a bit differently in the 50s.
Its apparent to anyone with common sense that discrepancies still exist to this day, or when i went to the NV dmv they would have titled my vehicle as a 58.
But the guy said, it wouldnt be a 58 by our book until the early 300 vin range.
so... 25k buses after mine.
How could they have old info, that is THAT wrong?
Because you now have ONE paper from VW of GERMANY??? that makes it supercede what ACTUALLY happened in AMERICA 60+ years ago?

Can some common sense be applied in this thread please? or is it just "what the paper says trumps all truth"

bottom line for me, and for most of us who love these cars.....
My bus was born in mid 1957, and it has federal paperwork saying it is a 1957. That is good enough for me. And in the rest of the buses life, i doubt anyone will freak out and attempt to get this info changed. Its likely that it CANT be changed from this point forward.
It had an "engine" title before, it now has a VIN title.

So from now on, please forward your comments and arguments to the NEVADA department of motor vehicles:
1399 American Pacific Dr.
Henderson, NV 89074-8806

Thank you drive through.

Note to EVERYONE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the middle part again?
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymouse wrote:
So if a bus like mine sat around on the dealer floor for 6 months, and then was driven into dmv in 58, it would be reg'd as a 58.

if it sat on the floor for a year and was sold as a '59, would you call it a '59?
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre dating a VW is Like the kids that would buy last years model leftover bike and saying it is the new years...it is done purely for the benefit of telling others.

What's wrong with a 58? I think it was one if not the best over all year of production based off colors...options...models

Lind, I had at one point a blueprint sized book that was all of the plans for a dealership you as a prospective franchisee could select from...it had the exact blue print of the layout I was working in at the time which was Miller-Brown in Gainesville...can't recall who I sold it to...

Got one of those in your collection?

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
mightymouse wrote:

if it sat on the floor for a year and was sold as a '59, would you call it a '59?

I personally wouldnt, id go by when it was made. You know that.
But many on here would go by the paperwork, or whatever "laws" they agreed with, without any credit given to what actually happened back in that era.

Note to EVERYONE.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
mightymouse wrote:

My ex-'63 Notchback was built in 1962 and bought in Germany in 1964 as a floor model. It was registered as a 1963 model from new.

I bought it from the original owner and the bought as a floor demo model was straight from his mouth.

I'm not sure if the person above is trying to say that OR used to title all cars by the engine number? I would disagree with that.

My Double Cab has been in Oregon since 1964 (at least, probably from new) and the title from that period was by the VIN #. It's also built in 8/60 and titled as a '61.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorwyatt wrote:
Pre dating a VW is Like the kids that would buy last years model leftover bike and saying it is the new years...it is done purely for the benefit of telling others.

What's wrong with a 58? I think it was one if not the best over all year of production based off colors...options...models

Lind, I had at one point a blueprint sized book that was all of the plans for a dealership you as a prospective franchisee could select from...it had the exact blue print of the layout I was working in at the time which was Miller-Brown in Gainesville...can't recall who I sold it to...

Got one of those in your collection?

'58 is absolutely the best year for VWs in my opinion. totally my favorite year. 15 windows, binzs, walkthroughs, dollar taillights and pressed bumpers. convertible ghias, no stupid little rear window on the beetles. and on and on.

I don't have that piece of literature, although I would love to own one.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
So it appears there are no '55 Barndoors, correct?

According to this document, it does look that way but I agree with Lind in wondering if that might be one exception meant to keep the differences clear since that was a major change in design.

If you think about it, the improvements in March, 1955 were probably so much of a new selling point that they might not want the Barndoor-era Buses labeled as 55s if they were still on the showroom floor.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightymouse wrote:
Because you now have ONE paper from VW of GERMANY??? that makes it supercede what ACTUALLY happened in AMERICA 60+ years ago?

Who cares what happened in America? We're talking about what year VWs are, and who better to listen to than VW themselves. The American DMV is the wrong place to look for definitive answers on a businesses manufacturing timelines.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found on wiki:

Quote:
Europe

In the automotive industry the "model year" is absolutely defined only by the manufacturer, and NOT any local vehicle registration practices, or media marketing opinions.

Industry practice varies between markets according both to the level of exports to North America, and the extent to which US owned subsidiaries dominate the domestic automarket.[citation needed] In the 1960s and 1970s, many new models were traditionally introduced at the London or Paris motor shows during October, and manufacturers owned by US corporations as well as domestically controlled UK auto makers tended to follow US auto-industry conventions in respect of model years. The concept was never so universally applied in Europe as in North America, however, and since the 1980s, the more commercially critical European Motor Shows have been the March Geneva Motor Show and the September Frankfurt Motor Show, new models have increasingly been launched in June or July even in the UK, where the two remaining US owned subsidiaries no longer design and build distinctively British Ford and Vauxhall models. All this has left the US style model year concept increasingly absent from the European domestic automarkets

1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
So it appears there are no '55 Barndoors, correct?

Since it's not a barndoor any more, I'll give you $5K for that 55 of yours.
You really should take my offer, you'll likely never get a better one. Wink
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

I'm not sure if the person above is trying to say that OR used to title all cars by the engine number? I would disagree with that.

I had a late 59 single cab that was titled in OR as a 61 (I think, memory is fuzzy) and the VIN# recorded on the title was nowhere near the actual VIN, nor the correct year engine #. It seemed that they just picked a number out of their ass and typed it up. This was an original owner, original title bus. It had never been stolen, nor in an accident, so the VIN discrepancy had never been discovered. When I got the truck, I contacted the OR DMV and explained the problem. After some discussion, the VIN was corrected. I made sure to get the original title back for historic purposes.
Ragtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'll stir the pot a little Very Happy

My January of 55 Barndoor doesn't think it exist any more.Vin#20 112### Very Happy

My March of 57 Double doors on left and right has a major complex because it has big flat high tail lights and a non brake light flat deck lid Vin 249### Laughing I generally tell people its a 58 spec.

And My July of 57 Single Cab now has to accept the fact that its a 58 Crying or Very sad Vin#279### its Titled as a 58 Wink Laughing

But I do agree with the VW'S technical data not the DMV data. After all they built the vehicle and should what year it is. Nice write up
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. so what about those m-code plates stamped 08 7 like mine with vin number 247002215 ???? is it a 1966 or is it a 1967???
seems odd that 1 piece of dealership paper would supercede all issues of progressive refinements. what about Andres walkthru barn door panel? built in 1955 as was the other 55 walk thru kombi built 142 or so After the panel bus?? are they 1955 ??? even M-Code plates are not reliable as date of manufacture.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
hugheseum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

model year=huge waste of time.........there is no arguing month/yr of production and using this you will get the correct parts
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill may wrote:
Wow. so what about those m-code plates stamped 08 7 like mine with vin number 247002215 ???? is it a 1966 or is it a 1967???
seems odd that 1 piece of dealership paper would supercede all issues of progressive refinements. what about Andres walkthru barn door panel? built in 1955 as was the other 55 walk thru kombi built 142 or so After the panel bus?? are they 1955 ??? even M-Code plates are not reliable as date of manufacture.

If the third digit of your VIN # is a seven, it is clear VW intended that to be a '67 model year.
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hugheseum wrote:
model year=huge waste of time.........there is no arguing month/yr of production and using this you will get the correct parts

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Note to EVERYONE.
i_am_cool_fred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my feb. 58 bus is still a 58...no change Dancing

wow, first time i looked at the month of mine...it's early Cool

Brian Denning, as seen on Gearz TV
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: