Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil light and buzzer gremlin w/ GoWesty circuit board (SOLVED)
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nimanaba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Oil light and buzzer gremlin w/ GoWesty circuit board (SOLVED) Reply with quote

1990 Vanagon

Since I've had the van, oil light worked properly, flashed without noise at key on, turned off when van started.

This evening when parking my car, I turned the car off and noticed my wiper blades were halfway still, I immediately turned my acc back on (probably way too quick), turned off my wiper, and now my oil light doesn't flash but stays on, with buzzer the whole time in acc mode until I start the car. It doesn't turn back on at any RPM, oil level is great, van runs normally.

At first I thought I may have blown a fuse somewhere, not the case, wipers still work fine. I also have a Gowesty circuit board behind the dash cluster. I'm thinking it's either the ignition switch (never replaced, on the list) or a mucked up circuit board somehow. Can't imagine it's the actual oil switch on the engine as it seems to be connected to my quick off and on of the accessory up front.

Thanks in advance!
nimanaba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Oil light and buzzer gremlin Reply with quote

Quick edit, the light and buzzer seems to stay on below 1400rpm. Above 1400rpm it doesn't come back on.

I disconnected the high and low oil pressure switches from the engine bay, started up the car, and the oil light stayed on from acc on to start and didn't turn off at any rpm. It never blinked either, just straight on and buzzer.

I'm feeling like it's more and more the Gowesty Circuit panel may have crapped out somehow.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil light and buzzer gremlin Reply with quote

if you disconnected both switches and the OP light stayed on constant then that would lead me to believe that everything is functioning as it should. to test the electrical side, you need to ground the wires in order to simulate a functioning switch. ground them one at a time and you can isolate which switch is causing the problem. it is most commonly the high pressure switch (dynamic OP) by the water pump that sticks open. either switch could easily become stuck open when engines have sat (or do sit) dormant for longer periods of time. although i would not put my faith in the GW dash circuit either, you need to start by testing the wiring up to that point.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil light and buzzer gremlin Reply with quote

First off there is no ACC position, just OFF-RUN-CRANK. With the engine hot the oil pressure switch will react more quickly as the oil is less viscous. Can't say this is your problem. I would doubt that your problems is from turning the ignition to the RUN position quickly, but more likely from a bad sender or from a problem with the warning circuitry. No nothing about the GoWesty circuitry.
nimanaba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil light and buzzer gremlin Reply with quote

It was an internal failure with the GoWesty printed circuit board processing the information from the two oil sensors and wigging out.

Put in a new circuit board and all is working perfect.

Thanks all
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil light and buzzer gremlin w/ GoWesty circuit board (SOLVED) Reply with quote

Grammer Nazi.

and all is working perfectLY.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Oil light and buzzer gremlin w/ GoWesty circuit board (SOLVED) Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Grammer Nazi.

and all is working perfectLY.

This page is intentionally blank.
There are two lies on this page.
ndorian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil light and buzzer gremlin w/ GoWesty circuit board (SOLVED) Reply with quote

Spellcheck yo self
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil light and buzzer gremlin Reply with quote

nimanaba wrote:
It was an internal failure with the GoWesty printed circuit board processing the information from the two oil sensors and wigging out.

Thanks all

Glad you solved your problem. Thanks for posting an update!
K_Clack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil light and buzzer gremlin Reply with quote

nimanaba wrote:

I'm not sure if I am experiencing a different permutation of this problem. My low pressure (.3 Bar) sender circuit is working properly, and my high pressure (.9 Bar) sender is grounding out before 2300 RPM as it should. However, every time my tach goes over 2300 RPM, the alarm sounds and the oil light flashes.

See the video below. Am I missing something?

Link
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil light and buzzer gremlin w/ GoWesty circuit board (SOLVED) Reply with quote

The high pressure switch must be closed across the operating range. Try disconnecting the high pressure switch and temporarily grounding the wire. Retest. If your problem is still present, you need to be looking forward. If the problem goes away, the switch could be acting up or you have an actual oil pressure problem.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: