Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another novice headlight question?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coldwater Surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Another novice headlight question? Reply with quote

Is it possible/legal to modify the 86-91 headlamps to run with both the high and low beams on at the same time. I'm already running with 100w h1's, but the output is still horrible(borderline dangerous sometimes). I was just thinking if you were to aim the "high's" to the same light level as the lows, then you wouldn't be blinding any motorists, and wouldn't have to install costly auxilary foglights to supplement the light output. I'm sure this has been discussed before, but can't find anything. Thanks in advance.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you add relays to the headlight circuit when you installed the 100W bulbs? I've got 80/100W bulbs in my '90 along with relays and they are damn near blinding on high-beam (make sure the lenses are clean too). Cool

Edit: All four lights on mine are on when the hi-beams are clicked on. Maybe yours has an issue somewhere?
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Headlights Reply with quote

This is certainly possible, but first:

When you replaced the stock bulbs with brighter ones, did you add relays and/or upgrade the wiring? The stock wiring configuration puts a lot of stress on the headlight switch and takes quite a long route. Adding relays increases the voltage (reduces the voltage drop), thereby increasing the bulb brightness.

Let us know if you've done that first, and then we can further advise.

Ed
BoxsterGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile

Adding relays is on my to do list.

Any suggestions or anything to avoid? I have the green Bently book for the wiring info.

Len

Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Headlights Reply with quote

One clarification:

The larger lenses have both a high and low beam filament in one bulb in them. The smaller lenses have one bulb with one filament for the high beam only. When your lights are on low beam, you have just the low beam filaments on. When you high beams are on, you have the high filaments in the one set of lenses in, and the filaments on in the dedicated high beam bulbs, so on high you should have four bulbs lit up, one filament in each bulb.

Are you trying to have all six filaments going at the same time on the high setting? Your four highbeam filaments on only on high, and your low beams on both low and high settings?

Ed
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you installed the new bulbs did you clean the inside of the lenses? They often look cloudy or scratched up on the inside, which will seriously effect the output and the focus of the lens even when using high wattage bulbs. A little bit of windex swished around inside the lens usually makes a world of difference in appearance and performance.

Headlight relays are a definite must with anything more than stock wattage bulbs. I sell my relay kits for $27.50 plus shipping. Details are on my website here: https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonheadlightrelays/86to91. I have plenty of relays ready to ship if you need a set.

I would avoid rewiring and re-aiming the inner high beam lenses to work on the low beam setting. At some poiny you are likely to want properly functioning high beams for driving in desolate areas on dark, rainy nights. It will also make your van uninspectable in most states. I would suggest adding a set of decent quality fog lights or driving lights aimed appropriately to help give you more light output if cleaning the lenses doesn't help enough.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Coldwater Surfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The previous owner installed the lights, so I'm unsure about the diameter of wire used, as my electrical knowledge is lacking, maybe 14g? however it does have the relays and with h1's. The lights could use a cleaning so I'll see if that helps. I just want to have lights our vans deserve. Driving at night in the NW backroads is intense to say the least, unless you have your brights on. I'm going to take all your advices, and in addition lower the high beam pattern and maybe just drive with my brights always on(if it doesn't offend other drivers)
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have 100W H3's installed in the small inner lenses, be sure to carry extra bulbs with you. They typically don't last very long with all that heat in the small square lens if they are on all the time. When I ran them in my '87 Wolfsburg, I only got about 5-6 months before I blew the first bulb (with normal use, not full time).

If it were my van, I would recommend upgrading your main lens bulbs to Hella 80/100W 9004's. These give off a lot of lumens and won't blind anyone if aimed properly. If you are determined to use the high beams re-aimed as a full time driving beam, you would likely be better served with the stock 55W H3 since it will last longer and will be less abusive to oncoming traffic. With the 80/100W mains and the 55W high beams, would still have 270W of low (combined) beam as opposed to the 90W you have in stock form. Trust me, this is more than enough light for anything short of desert racing.

Good luck.

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: