Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

hood latch adjustment
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eaker02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: hood latch adjustment Reply with quote

ever since owning this 74 thing, I can shut the hood and it'll stay shut, but when I ride down the road, the hood will pop loose and the only thing holding it down is the safety latch.

Any ideas or tips what I may need to adjust to make the hood stay shut. I know the hood spring has a screw, but not sure if I need to mess with it or not.
any help would be appreciated.
thanks
ron
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it's the release cable not going back to position after opening the hood. It's a good idea to give it a push before shutting the lid. There's a spring that's suppose to do this but if the cable or sleeve is gunked up or kinked it may not have enough tension.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

eaker02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after looking at your picture of the cable, I see the clamp near the release handle. My clamp wasn't attached inside the glove box..
after pushing the clamp back in place and running a bolt through the clamp, I couldn't get the hood to release.
Had to take the bolt back out and pull the clamp forward in order to get the handle to release the hood. Doesn't make sense.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eaker02 wrote:
after looking at your picture of the cable, I see the clamp near the release handle. My clamp wasn't attached inside the glove box..
after pushing the clamp back in place and running a bolt through the clamp, I couldn't get the hood to release.
Had to take the bolt back out and pull the clamp forward in order to get the handle to release the hood. Doesn't make sense.

That's the way it's suppose to work. That is NOT a bolt hole. You are supposed to be able to place a padlock there in order to "lock" the trunk. Remember that glove doors were not standard

If the holes are lined up, does the hood latch down fully? If not, then your cable is probably too short.

BTW,....my advice will cost you. Price = post at least 5 pictures of your vehicle Laughing
eaker02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the hood shuts fully and can't pry it open, but as soon as I go down the road the hood will release. The safety latch is the only thing that keeps the hood shut.
didn't even think about a lock going through the holes.

ps. will post pics at some point. right now the Thing is three colors.. Original is white(under hood and trunk). someone then painted the whole inside Red, then another owner must have wanted a Acapulco Thing and painted the outside blue with white stripes.
ron
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eaker02 wrote:
yes, the hood shuts fully and can't pry it open, but as soon as I go down the road the hood will release. The safety latch is the only thing that keeps the hood shut.
didn't even think about a lock going through the holes.

ron

So it's my understanding that your hood remains fully latched with the bolt in? Even when driving?

Sounds to me that the return spring is not pulling the cable back into the latched position.

I recommend that you remove the cable and sleeve and see if you can fix or replace the return spring. Otherwise, replace the whole cable/sleeve/spring. In the meantime, try thowing a bolt or pin in the hole as a extra safety measure while driving.

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ferretkona
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lock tab can twist and keep the latch open. Make sure it guides in where the holes line up.
I had to go thru and fix the sheetmetal tabs that hold the cable housing in place in the trunk. They weaken in time and if the housing is loose it can be a bear to open.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
eaker02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, but never put a bolt through the clamp until I saw your picture, then I tried putting the bolt through thinking a previous owner didn't finish something
no bolt through clamp. can shut hood fully and it stays shut. when I start driving hood comes unlatched.
I can shut again and the hood stays shut until I start driving again, then it comes loose again.
I will say that the clamp is outside the slot where you run the lock though in order to open the hood.
almost sounds like i need to pull the cable a little more at the latch in order for the clamp at the release handle to line up with the holes in the glove box?

thanks
ron
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what your hood latch looks like underneath.

Do you have this return spring?

You may want to release the cable/sheath from it's most forward retaining tab on the right side of the trunk (passenger's side). This should effectively lengthen the cable enough for your latch to close fully.
eaker02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a spring, but doesn't to be in the same location as yours.. will try to take a upside down pic tomorrow and upload.
Thank ya'll very much, very informative.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eaker02 wrote:
There is a spring, but doesn't to be in the same location as yours.. will try to take a upside down pic tomorrow and upload.
Thank ya'll very much
, very informative.

Have fun taking those pictures. Use the macro (not super macro) setting with fill in flash. Took me quite a few takes.

While you are at it, check the hood pin for damage. Should be round without any flat spots
eaker02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to go ahead an post a pic. not sure if this uploaded correctly, first time on this forum

[/img]
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eaker02 wrote:
Had to go ahead an post a pic. not sure if this uploaded correctly, first time on this forum

[/img]

Looks good to me. How did that that hood pin look? Did you slack out the cable/sheath on the right side of the trunk?
eaker02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will do the rest in the morning. again thanks.
fmartin_gila
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went through the same thing yesterday with mine. Ensure that when you release the handle, after pulling it to open, that the little locker tab does go back into the slot. It can twist slightly off to the side and remain in a slightly pulled position.

Fred
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: latch adjustment Reply with quote

Just remember one thing,

once you get the latch adjusted, make sure if the pull cable and the set screw are tight and put a 'bend or catch after the set screw, just dont break the cable.
Remember, if the cable were to slip, you wont be able to open the trunk.

My cable had a few bends in it so it wouldnt pull thru in case of set screw slippage.

OF COURSE, in the process of mucking with it, guess what I did!?! Shocked

Locked myself out of the Trunk and had to resort to pulling the phillip screws on the hinges. NOT GOOD if you got pretty paint!

Worked out for the better though, had some rust beginnings under the latches, got that fixed and thank goodness for touchup paint!

Just a word of caution from someone who went there and freaked out for a bit.

good luck with the adjustments!

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: hood latch adjustment Reply with quote

Anyone know the best way to get the hood open when the pull handle isn’t disengaging then latch?
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: hood latch adjustment Reply with quote

Take the big screws off at the hinge and move hood until you can get to the latch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: hood latch adjustment Reply with quote

eaker02 wrote:
ever since owning this 74 thing, I can shut the hood and it'll stay shut, but when I ride down the road, the hood will pop loose and the only thing holding it down is the safety latch.

I had the same problem. It turned out to be gummed up grease in the latch. I cleaned the latch thoroughly with solvent and re-greased it. That solved the issue.

BJT wrote:
Anyone know the best way to get the hood open when the pull handle isn’t disengaging then latch?

There's one thing you might try before attempting the nuclear option of removing the screws from the hinges. Have a helper push down on the front edge of the hood and then release it briskly while at the same time you operate the cable release in the glove box.
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: hood latch adjustment Reply with quote

Thanks Captain,

Had to drag the wife into the garage to help out. Got it open cleaned it up and seems to be working now. Not perfect but doesn’t get stuck anymore.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: