Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EVC pop-top struts/shocks for easier pop-top popping
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: EVC pop-top struts/shocks for easier pop-top popping Reply with quote

I get e-mails from time to time from people asking about stronger pop-top struts for their EVC, I don't know much about the EVC, and have never actually been inside of one but I'm sure it will be helpful for all the EVC owners to have a thread where they can relay their experiences with various strength struts for their pop-tops.

The stock struts are part number GSNI-3100-100, from [url=http://www.spdhardware.com/catalog/list.asp?id={FD677C08-6417-4A4C-9551-C52741324413}]here[/url], they have 100 pounds of force, any of the 3100 series will be the correct length for the EVC roof, the last number is the amount of force.

One guy told me that with nothing on the roof and 120 pound struts the roof just about pops itself, but he had to pull down a fair bit to get the roof down, but his shoulders can pull better than they can push so it works well for him.

As far as strengths of shocks for people with rocket boxes on the roof or the like I'm not totally sure, thats largely what this thread is for. I wouldn't go over 150 pounds of force as with nothing on the roof it would be quite a battle to get the roof down, and I'm not sure how the strut connects to the roof so 150 pounds might already be pushing the strength of the roof.

As far as boxes on the roof are concerned,if your box is not mounted to the roof yet you want to mount it a far back as possible so you will be lifting the extra weight the shortest distance possible.

Hope this helps Cool

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man if I had a euro (especially with roof cargo), I'd like a set of these locking struts -

http://www.spdhardware.com/catalog/list.asp?id={A818FF64-E51A-422F-A59A-4E2E52A3BDA2}

(must copy/paste link. it apperas the "{" characters affect positing. addind URL tag blanks out whole post)

GSEL Econo-Lock Gas Spring

The GSEL Gas Spring eliminates the need for a seperate safety rod or support in critical lift-assist applications. The shroud positively locks when the gas spring is fully extended protecting people and critical equipment from injury or harm in teh event of catastrophic gas spring failure due to excessive overload or misuse. The GSEL Gas Spring is simple to use, when the gas spring is fully extended a spring loaded locking shroud moves into place on the lip of the tube to prevent the gas spring from compressing. The shroud is released by applying thumb pressure to move shroud out of the way so the gas spring may compress.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
BushChicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
man if I had a euro (especially with roof cargo), I'd like a set of these locking struts -

Ask and ye shall receive.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4455&category_id=132&category_parent_id=
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BushChicken wrote:
vanis13 wrote:

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4455&category_id=132&category_parent_id=

But Vanis 13 already posted a link to locking roof struts for $26, and they cost $40 from GoWesty...

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
BushChicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
BushChicken wrote:
vanis13 wrote:

But Vanis 13 already posted a link to locking roof struts for $26, and they cost $40 from GoWesty...

$40 for two, $25 for one....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: