Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone carry self defense items or weapons, if any?
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:59 pm    Post subject: Anyone carry self defense items or weapons, if any? Reply with quote

I just recently went to Big 5 Sporting goods and bought a 4-5 inch knife that was on sale. I originally went to buy some folding camp chairs. I had another $20 left on my gift card so I bought a cool knife that was on sale. I thought it would be a good self defense item to have. I'm not a violent person by any means but I sometimes feel I need a self defense weapon, makes me feel little safer. I also use it when I go hiking in the woods.

And anyone ever had to use their self defense item to scare off a creepy intruder, bear, or cougar etc..

Reminder from Admin
Please stay on the topic of guns and away from a debate on the issues related to gun ownership or usage, political or otherwise.

There are lots of other places to debate these topics on the internet.

Last edited by whynotvw on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:54 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep an aluminum Tee ball bat in the van behind the driver's seat. I call it my "Mexican handgun"
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about buying a RMV locking drawer and buying a small handgun to hide it in the drawer. But to be honest I never really liked firearms. I think I fired a hand gun once or twice in my whole lifetime. But a gun would ultimate self defense weapon. I highly doubt I would get a gun. I do like the Rmv drawer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should ask. I know of someone that always has a can of Hornet spray close at hand in her car. From what iv been told she used it at a coffee stand to blind a robber. It has a 12-20 foot spray and will blind you for 30 min or so. Plus the cops dont see it as a weapon.

food for thought.

jcl
stevey88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a914622 wrote:
Funny you should ask. I know of someone that always has a can of Hornet spray close at hand in her car. From what iv been told she used it at a coffee stand to blind a robber. It has a 12-20 foot spray and will blind you for 30 min or so. Plus the cops dont see it as a weapon.

food for thought.

jcl

I carry a bear spray in my Westy, wonder if that has the same effect.

87 Westfalia full camper 4 speed
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevey88 wrote:
a914622 wrote:

food for thought.

jcl

I carry a bear spray in my Westy, wonder if that has the same effect.

bear spray same as pepper spray?
Oceanpro907
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

155 pound Bloodhound - Fears nothing and really doesn't have of a sense of humor......[/img]
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only pack garlic for vampires when I travel up to the Pacific NorthWest Laughing

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about those air horn off a spray can, not sure the name. i see those at a surf contest to let the surfers know their heat is over. that would scare the living daylights out of someone. Smile

i do like the dog. too bad i don't own one.
ithinkso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ice axe

1985 Westy, Zetec powered
Worms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always had a baseball or cricket bat - no-one can say it's a weapon.

It's a sporting item, which came conveniently to hand when someone tried to jack your van or something!
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S&W 1911 taking out the door chime that was driving me crazy. Is that considered self defense? ( well it's the only picture I have handy)
It rides with me. But not for self defense against people. But it usually goes camping to provide entertainment and protection against varmins.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Williamtaylor33 on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there is a saying about carrying a knife to a gun fight that is self explanatory. As for creepy things,having hunted bear and cougar (to eat, yes to eat) I think, no I know a knife would be almost useless unless you were incredibly lucky. My wife and I have been stalked by cougar and black bear. Having a firearm made the situation a lot more comforting with the cougar. I felt hopeless with the 4 inch knife in the bear situation. There is an area we love to pick chantrelle mushrooms in the olympics. There is a large cougar population that loves to eat the deer there we are a lot slower than the deer. We have had 3 creepy instances on a certain logging road in the Cascades on the way to what used to be our favorite hot springs. We believe having a cwp and a firearm helped us avoid a bad situation for two young women in a different vehicle as well as us when someone felled a tree which blocked the road and stood in the darkness staring at us smoking a cigarette more than 20 miles from the nearest anything at 11 pm on a worknight. I do my best to enjoy nature when there are less people out there bad people have probably figured that is a prime time for them to do what they do.
If I had to choose between a knife, club or spray for creepy things and comfort. I would choose bear spray. You should be able to return the knife for the spray. I as well as my wife choose a handgun over bear spray for many reasons some of which can easily be found by looking at bear spray pros and cons on google.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use my mind control glasses, but if there are too many aliens, then I have to resort to my small 12v, solar charged, theatre nuclear device. Handguns aren't allowed here in Canada, which is why we don't have to carry them either.
mikey9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Whereas over in the UK Reply with quote

in the UK too - I can't think of this thread even being raised.

Guns, and knives are considered by most of the population here as something of the criminal world - that is it.
Considering carrying a weapon - because of the (very small) chance of it resolving a situation seems OTT.
It also would make me 1. a criminal - 2. more aprehensive about actually going out there.

Is it really that different in the US.....?

We do have several kitchen knives, a wheel brace, hammer, stanley knife etc. although I have never considered their use beyond cooking, van maintenance.
BUSLUVR42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ithinkso wrote:
ice axe

X2

It's gotta have some use in the flats
thatvwbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that 4D cell Mag Light works well for most occasions where hooligans might need some redirection. When that doesn't seem like quite the right tool for the job, the razor sharp 32" machete creates a nice visual cue that maybe this isn't the van to mess with.

When backpacking or camping in remote areas of NH I like the Remington pump 12GA w/ 18" barrel. Buckshot is the swiss army knife of having the right weapon for any occasion, but it can be kinda messy...

If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion.
whynotvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theadventureneverends wrote:
I believe there is a saying about carrying a knife to a gun fight that is self explanatory. As for creepy things,having hunted bear and cougar (to eat, yes to eat) I think, no I know a knife would be almost useless unless you were incredibly lucky. My wife and I have been stalked by cougar and black bear. Having a firearm made the situation a lot more comforting with the cougar. I felt hopeless with the 4 inch knife in the bear situation. There is an area we love to pick chantrelle mushrooms in the olympics. There is a large cougar population that loves to eat the deer there we are a lot slower than the deer. We have had 3 creepy instances on a certain logging road in the Cascades on the way to what used to be our favorite hot springs. We believe having a cwp and a firearm helped us avoid a bad situation for two young women in a different vehicle as well as us when someone felled a tree which blocked the road and stood in the darkness staring at us smoking a cigarette more than 20 miles from the nearest anything at 11 pm on a worknight. I do my best to enjoy nature when there are less people out there bad people have probably figured that is a prime time for them to do what they do.
If I had to choose between a knife, club or spray for creepy things and comfort. I would choose bear spray. You should be able to return the knife for the spray. I as well as my wife choose a handgun over bear spray for many reasons some of which can easily be found by looking at bear spray pros and cons on google.

Wow, very interesting. Stalked by a bear and cougar, thats got to be scary. In that situation I would definitely would prefer a gun. Hunting bears and cougars to eat, damn you don't mess around do you? Smile Rambo.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never go anywhere without my karma, and never seemed to have needed more.
Seriously, are you really willing to USE a gun, cause if you pull one out as
a bluff, it's likely to be taken away from you by someone who reads you correctly.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEAPONS? I have an assortment of sharp knives, that when not being used to prepare
food could be weapons. I don't bring my hand gun though or any of my other guns.
Most of the camping I do is in the state park system and they are not allowed. The Hornet/wasp
spray I do carry, just for the simple reason it says hornet/wasp spray on the can.
I even had a can that would shoot a stream out 25' and the can said it had 30,000 btu's
on contact. The hornets don't like it very much, turned them Black and deader than a door nail.
Pepper spray is on my list, though. Do you think that I'll have to purchase a RMW
locking drawer to keep it in? When all else fails I too bring my attack Yorkie-Poo Rooney.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 26

Jump to: